You shouldn't be allowed at Glastonbury if you don't know any Beatles songs (discuss)

Guest Trebor

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure they did some good things but you really expect young people to like she loves you and all that stuff? If they like music enough to explore then yes, otherwise plenty of youngsters will just be listening to what's current and won't give a monkeys chuff about 40 year old music.

I grew up with my parents playing Beatles records. They were the youth of the 60s. The thing is we now have the generation coming through who's parents weren't old enough, or even born yet, to remember the beatles, so its starting to get lost in the natural order of things. Its sad, but its just a fact of time marching on

I stand by my earlier assertation that anyone who doesn't have at least a rudimentary knowledge of the Beatles, is a cultural spaz. Even if people don't like their music, fair enough, but their influence and impact on the world, further than music is undeniable.

I grew up with my parents playing Beatles records. They were the youth of the 60s. The thing is we now have the generation coming through who's parents weren't old enough, or even born yet, to remember the beatles, so its starting to get lost in the natural order of things. Its sad, but its just a fact of time marching on

Edited by BigMarv

May they die of a disease that is akin to a disease encompassing aspects of really nasty acid baths, that bitey thing in Return of the Jedi and the wrath of the Forum when the musical abortion thatis Shitminge and Sons gets a slot,I'd take my chances. Seriously, if we stick together we can hum Heroes loudly anough, we never hear them play. Just as a point, Marcus Mumford, if you're reading....you're shit, always have been, everyone who isn't silly knows and we all hope your cock falls off. Although...if if it was a choice between me hearing your droning voice singing again or you reproducing and me taking the same gamble in 18 years, I'd hope you choose gamblefuckfrenzy rather than Glastonbury. Noone wants you there apart from the people who are making it shit.

P.s. It:s not as good as it used to be,

P.P.S. Fuck off Assford.

if im being honest, im pretty much unfamiliar with all of the beatles material. I could maybe recall a few songs off the top of my head purely from reading about it and hearing it when out or something, but unless i was to hear the chorus, i would probably not be able to recognise them. I couldn't name any of their albums or anything

This is purely because I am not into guitar music, and never really have been. I choose to listen to various types of electronic music (not skrillex or chase & status). Although I believe my parents did like bands such as the beatles when they were younger, they do not listen to guitar music anymore, so I never had any influence from my parents to listen to them at a young age, and instead discovered my own taste in music by myself, which happened to be in the form of electronic.

I have attended a fair few festivals for someone of my age (19), ranging from reading to sonar festival, and know the 'social rules' of festivals and how to behave.If i was to go to glastonbury, which i plan on doing next year, i will go simply for the dance/electronic aspect of the festival. so why should i not be able to be allowed in because I haven't got any knowledge on a band which won't even be there. Why should i be asked a question on a type of music that i have no interest in. If it was a festival like HRC(which ive been to) then maybe it is a bit more understanding, but glastonbury has too much variance.

Maybe the kind of people you had in mind whilst making this thread are the kind of people who jump on the whole festival bandwagon, and are only going just to say they've been there, and are not proper music fans, but not everyone who is unfamiliar with the beatles are like that.

I rarely post on here, and am not too sure about that this forums personality is like, but please no stupid comments about what i've just written. Just simply providing an alternate view to the threadmakers. It's my personal music taste and i'm pretty content with it.

Fair play to you. I put (discuss) in the topic title to try and get across I was playing devil's advocate a little. To make it clear again, I don't actually think anyone should be banned, that's a ridiculous idea. Speaking as a huge Beatles fan (and I'm only 33) I'm biased and couldn't believe that this person hasn't heard anything by them. But some good points have been made. And some very funny ones.

One year I came back from Glasto after a great set by The Beach Boys and was telling my (then) 15 year old nephew. "Who are the Beach Boys?" he asked.

So I decided to make up a CD for him entitled The 10 Songs Everyone Should Know" to help with his musical education.

I asked lots of friends for their views and there were actually 19 songs on the CD by the time I'd got to the end.

The criteria for choosing was "Without X the rest wouldn't have happened."

The discussion about what to include provoked great arguments, as there would be on here if I asked the same question.

The compilation started with Robert Johnson's Crossroads Blues from 1936 and included Sinatra, Presley, Dylan, The Who, The Stones as well as The Beatles, Hendrix., Queen, Oasis, U2, The Sex Pistols and Nirvana.

I think it's important, but not compulsory, that people should be aware of their musical legacy and yes, The Beatles were important, but so were many of the others.

On tribute bands, The Bootleg Beatles are worth catching. I don't so much think of them as a tribute band as a group who put on a great show. They're also a way to give someone who never saw the Beatles the chance to experience their music performed live.

Fair play to you. I put (discuss) in the topic title to try and get across I was playing devil's advocate a little. To make it clear again, I don't actually think anyone should be banned, that's a ridiculous idea. Speaking as a huge Beatles fan (and I'm only 33) I'm biased and couldn't believe that this person hasn't heard anything by them. But some good points have been made. And some very funny ones.

Edited by RDCL