You shouldn't be allowed at Glastonbury if you don't know any Beatles songs (discuss)

Guest Trebor

As well as this, surely it would have to focus on all music at Glastonbury, something which would leave certain fest goers up the shit. "You can't name Eats Everything's last EP? Sorry, no ticket for you". "You can't name two songs which sample Max Romeo's Chase The Devil? You're not coming in, i don't care if you know The Beatles"

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct.

I would describe myself as a forum lurker, I read this form most lunchtimes and don't feel the need to post as I just enjoy reading what others have to say.

But this thead is totally ridiculous, and I want you all to know that :)

The Beatles are massively over rated. They just churned out shit loads of singles and just like shit, some of them were going to stick. They were just right place right time.

That is all.

And Russy you need to have a word with Mr Eavis as some of the artists you've stated have played Glastonbury (or surely will do soon) so surely are Glastonbury now?

Edited by Big Vern

Ok you're right maybe not just music. How about a few questions on the festival in general?

What is this years slogan?

Who are the family who own/run the festival?

What is the farm used for outside of the festival?

Which charities does the festival support?

and maybe something alone the lines of a few recycling questions

Just so people have to take notice of what the festival is about as they buy a ticket

I like the idea of a few questions that people have to answer before they can buy their ticket, to give them a little awareness that it's a little bit different to just being a piss-up in a field.

The only one of those questions that I'd say wasn't necessary for doing that is who the owners are.

A girl I work with had a ticket for Glastonbury in 2011, she's not the type to go to gigs or even really talk about music - but she told me that she was going to Glastonbury as she knew I went every year.

During in the conversation (I can't quite remember why) I said something about Michael Eavis - only for her to ask "who's he?" - I then said to her that she should find out who's party it is before going to it.

I do think a quick easy music test should be in place as people buy tickets - I know that sounds snobby but even if these people took a guess at the answers it may teach them something.

A 17 year old I work with told me last week that Rhianna is more influential to music than David Bowie

Edited by swede

When I went to university which was nearly 18 years ago one of my housemates put a poster of John Lennon in the kitchen and one of the other guys thought it was Johnny Depp. We took the mick out of him and called him Marvin the Martian and set about giving him a musical education. By the time we left uni he had every album they'd ever made and hosted a half hour show on hospital radio dedicated to The Beatles. He's also been to Glastonbury twice.

A bit of gentle ribbing aside I think somebody educating you about things you don't know is always a good idea. I had a rather limited musical upbringing myself. Neither of my parents were huge music fans and my brothers and sister had very narrow musical taste. I'm always happy to have somebody suggest a new genre or artist to investigate.

I think an entrance exam for Glastonbury would be very un-Glastonbury. Live and let live and maybe introduce people to something unfamiliar.

A lot of girls, younger girls, refer to Paul McCartney as "Ohh....... err..... whats his name.........Stellas dad"

LOL!

I know nothing about fashion, but I presume that Stella is a decent designer .... but I also presume that she's be one of the thousands of not-widely-known designers if it wasn't for who her dad is.

Quite happy to admit that I don't know the complete lyrics to a single Beatles song. I've heard lots of their songs over the years and I can confirm that in my opinion (which, let's face it is fucking worthless) they are shite. So shite in fact that it now actually bothers me when I hear one of their songs. The sight of Paul McCartney makes me shudder. It's not just me either. I have a friend who loathes them more than I do. His hatred is complete.

There's no way that a teenager/young adult never heard a Beatles song enough to recognize it. Either she is deaf, lying or incredibly stupid.

Edited by tonyblair