16 year old, is kendal calling for me?

Guest music-fan4

Hi, I'm 16 years old and KC has got me and my mates pretty intrigued, I got a reading ticket from my parents and grandparents for XMAS and I also should be able to earn around 150 quid as I'm doing about two weeks work with my uncle right after GCSE's so I'm hoping to go to 1 more (smaller but still big festival). Anyway I was looking at last years lineup and thought it looked great, but was just wondering what kind of age ranges go to Kendal and whether there strict on underage drinking (and weed)? I was also wondering whether you guys think it would be a good first festival to go to (without my parents)? Thanks to whoever replies, gives me advice etc. much appreciated.

Hello mate, before I get in to it I'll just say there's no way I'm going to advocate underage drinking or smoking weed and I would imagine you'll probably get a similar response from anyone else that posts here.From what I saw past year and the years before the bars will certainly adopt a strict policy on serving and I'm sure they had is notices dotted around. The authorities see festivals as a prime target for underage drinking and the local trading standards have been known to do test purchases with underage people to check how stringent the festival is sticking to the serving rules with penalties and possible closure for those who don't.

What I am willing to say is that Kendal is a great festival for first timers, neither too big or small so easy to get around, there are a great variety of stages playing all sorts of music including a large dance tent and smaller dance venues like the kube. There are always loads of teens there so you'll be in good company, its the only festival for miles around and teens from the area take advantage of that. The festival also has stages and areas that are open until around 3am so you wont be thrown back to your tent after the main stage closes.

Camping is set in to several areas with quiet fields, family fields and general camping which tends to be a bit more noisy. The general camping areas tend to be lively a majority of the night !

Hope that helps a bit, if there's anything else you wanna know just ask, in the meantime there is a list of frequently asked questions and answers here

http://www.kendalcalling.co.uk/faq

Edited by ramragon

Kendal has a much more family orientated appeal than Reading. There were a few pissed up teens I saw last year at Kendal, but unlike Reading they were the exception not the rule.

From memory they werent admitting under 21's without an over 21 either.

That said, Kendal is a great festival if you go with the right attitude. Enjoy yourself, have a crack with the mates you go with and the randoms you talk to there, try not to spoil anybody else's festival (not that I'm suggesting you would for second, just some dicks do unfortunately).

And the music is great! Enjoy whichever ones you go to...16 is a great age to start going. You could end watching a band you might never have seen otherwise and your musically tastes could end up shooting off in a completely different direction

Edited by Flaminglippy

Kendals great but remember if your bringing weed be carefull don't just think cos your in a field the police won't catch you. Security do searches and people get caught, my favourite press report from last years fest was " man dressed as donkey sold me ecstasy " ha ha!

I'm going to post a video below enjoy !

Hi, I'm 16 years old and KC has got me and my mates pretty intrigued, I got a reading ticket from my parents and grandparents for XMAS and I also should be able to earn around 150 quid as I'm doing about two weeks work with my uncle right after GCSE's so I'm hoping to go to 1 more (smaller but still big festival). Anyway I was looking at last years lineup and thought it looked great, but was just wondering what kind of age ranges go to Kendal and whether there strict on underage drinking (and weed)? I was also wondering whether you guys think it would be a good first festival to go to (without my parents)? Thanks to whoever replies, gives me advice etc. much appreciated.

You're going to struggle to find much love here for 16 year olds wanting a piss up. If that's the main aim (and I dont blame you, I've done the same), then the bigger more commercial festivals would be a better option than Kendal.

If Kendal is your choice then just be respectful to others. You can be the nicest group of lads in the world but when familys and the like see a group of underage drinkers that's not the impression they usually get.

The Atmosphere is incredibly important at KC. It's what make it so unique.

Edited by andy85