Pinkpop 2013

Guest markqpr2000

Hi all, English man living literally 10 minutes walk from the Pinkpop site here. I went last year (and I am going again this year), but didn't bother camping as I could sleep in my own bed! I'll try to help with any questions, if I can.

You can't take beer into the main arena. There are bars inside, selling the local beer, Brand, which is a pretty decent lager. It's relatively expensive though. I think it was 4 Euros for drink. And bare in mind that we're not talking pints here and the Dutch like their beer poured with a large head (by British standards!).

As far as I know, trains aren't free in Holland - certainly not when I've had to use them!

There a various (4 I think?) campsites dotted around the town (Landgraaf), one is right next to the arena, the others are up to half an hour walk away. If you want to get in the campsite next to the arena, I'd suggest getting there very early, as last year, people spent the night out on the road, waitng for the campsite to open the next day!

I've been to the V festival at Chelmsford quite a few times and by comparison, the Pinkpop arena is quite small. It's on an old race course, with the main stage at one end and the second stage at the other end (both facing in the same direction). There's also a tent stage next to the main stage. They stagger the bands so that no bands clash on the main stage and the second stage. The main stage band finishes, then the second stage band starts, then they finish, then the next band on the main stage will start, and so on. This is a good idea in as much as you don't have to choose one band over another, but what I found annoying was that as a band were getting to the last couple of songs of their set, people would start leaving and heading to get a spot for the next band on the other stage. Fair enough, i guess, but a bit annoying if you're watching a band and your getting a constant stream of people walking towards you during the last couple of songs!

On the whole, it's a decent festival. Certainly not the best I've been to, but not the worst. The Dutch are generally pretty friendly, without being too outgoing. From what I remember, all the signs are in Dutch but you'll find that the majority of Dutch people speak pretty good English.

I'd agree with all of that. I went last year for the first time. It was great, super clean festival. Seriously forget everything you've seen at any festival concerning rubbish. There are even people from the festival who walk round the campsites and clean up the whole day. don't get any of that in germany.

camping was super. I was in D which is the aforementioned half an hour walk but therefore had a nice spot in the shade. it's a nice walk through parts of the village and the sun was out all weekend so the walk didn't bother me a bit.

the people are super as well. everyone who was camping next to us was nice and no trouble at all.

in concern to the festival itself and the grounds: it's quite a large racecourse and especially when it's full it'll take a couple of minutes to get from the main stage to the second stage but there are definitely worse festival grounds with a lot longer walks between stages.

you pay with food vouchers for everything on the grounds so be sure to get as much of them at the campsite and not when you're on the actual grounds...you'll see what I mean.

2 main festival innovations which every festival should regard: free water! there are 2 or 3 stalls which give out free water one at the entrance after getting past the gates and one on the left side when facing the main stage. and you can take as many cups as you want.

the other: the front pit main stage has "people-counter-bar-systems" (i don't know what they're called :) ) so you go through front pit the gates and push a bar and it counts how many people are in and if the limit is reached the bars don't turn anymore...you know :)

I'd always recommend it as I liked the stage times as well but encountered the same phenomenon as DaveyGravy. you actually catch yourself doing the same thing if you've had enough of the band you're watching and want a good spot at the second stage.

a last thing: in the middle of the racecourse there's a massive field you could nearly say...a large grass area where everybody just lies all day long if the sun's shining. just really relaxed and nice and no hassle at all, no d***heads, no police, no nothing...

jep, parking right next to each of the camping sites...which is great. you can through your stuff over the fence into your tent :)

beer/can question was already answered, but no cans on the festival grounds, probably the same as everywhere else.

Edited by Operator

• 4 weeks later...

Me and several friends are planning to land in amsterdam, renting a car and reach the Pinkpop festival for a day and continue the day after to Berlin.

Since we are coming only for a day, i've understood we are not allowed to access the campsites.

Do u guys have any suggestion to where can we sleep? At what time does the shows end every night?

In general lines we are planning to drive the day later from Landgraaf to Dusseldorf and taking a flight to berlin.

Will it be a better idea to drive the same night to Dusseldorf?

Tnx!

Hi Lightfile.

I think you are right that you won't be able to get on the campsite, if you only have a day ticket. I live in Landgraaf and don't really know of too many places you can sleep, in the town. There is this campiste: http://www.campingdewatertoren.nl/ Which you may be able to book a place at, but it's a very long walk from the festival arena! You might find it easier to drive from there to the main festival car park. There are a couple of hotels very close to the arena, but I would think these are quite expensive and may even already be fully booked for the weekend of Pinkpop.

I don't remember exactly when the last bands finished last year, but I think it was maybe around midnight.

I don't think it would make too much difference whether you drive to Dusseldorf the same night or wait until the morning. I don't think there will be too many cars heading in the direction, so I think the roads should be fairly clear. I would just do whatever is easiest for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Who am I looking forward to seeing? My cousin, who is coming over for Pinkpop! Only the second person to come and visit me since I moved from the UK to the Netherlands, just over a year ago! :biggrin: But seriously, band wise, I'm pretty excited about Queens of the Stoneage, who I've somehow managed never to see live before. I've seen all the headliners before, I'm sure they'll all put on a decent show, but have to admit that personally I'm not a massive fan of any of them!

• 1 month later...

Hallo

Wij zijn twee meisjes van België en hebben een ticket voor zondag besteld. Nu zijn we erachter gekomen dat wij helemaal geen toegang tot de camping hebben met een dagticket. Dus vroegen wij ons af of het misschien mogelijk is om bij iemand die daar in de buurt woont te couchsurfen? Alvast bedankt!

Hi...Looking forward to this, my first festival abroad. Great line-up...

I have a spare ticket, as well as ferry crossing, Dover to Calais sorted if anybody is looking for one. My mate had to drop out last minute, so I'm travelling solo at the mo'...

Steve