The Gardening Thread

grumpyhack

• 5 weeks later...

Another six hour day of veg patch work completed.  Quite a bit has been replanting after the bastard wood pigeons attacked all my early cabbages. (Mrs GH even bought them a bird bath so I don't know whose side she's really on).

So I've bought some protective netting tunnels and this week have put in black kale, pointed cabbage, purple sprouting broccoli and brussel sprouts in the tunnels.  Runner beans, sweet peas, potatoes and lettuce all coming along nicely.  In the greenhouse the tomatoes are doing OK but still not the crop I would have hoped for.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2020 at 11:34 PM, grumpyhack said:

Another six hour day of veg patch work completed.  Quite a bit has been replanting after the bastard wood pigeons attacked all my early cabbages. (Mrs GH even bought them a bird bath so I don't know whose side she's really on).

So I've bought some protective netting tunnels and trimmer and this week have put in black kale, pointed cabbage, purple sprouting broccoli and brussel sprouts in the tunnels.  Runner beans, sweet peas, potatoes and lettuce all coming along nicely.  In the greenhouse the tomatoes are doing OK but still not the crop I would have hoped for.

Can you get a picture of how you set up the nets? And how much it it was, if not a secret. 

8 hours ago, TZam said:

Can you get a picture of how you set up the nets? And how much it it was, if not a secret. 

I got them from a garden centre.  They're called Haxnicks Micromesh Easy Tunnels and cost me £17.99 for a 3 metre length,

Have a look at https://www.haxnicks.co.uk/garden-products/easy-tunnels

You have a series of metal loops and the mesh, so all you have to do is push the ends of the loops in the ground as you pull out the tunnel.

• 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

So, I know next to nothing about gardening but recently had some sleepers put in towards the back of my garden (a very shady part). Any recommendations or tips for the best plants to go in that might add some colour over the winter? And if it’s better to put pots in there?

I'm no gardening expert but I've found Winter Pansies, as the name suggests, bloom with colour in the winter.  Not a lot else has colour at that time of the year, though I'd be interested in any suggestions from others.

• 4 months later...

So, how is everyone's gardens/allotments looking. I'm going to be taking advantage of the dry weather over the weekend to try to tart my allotment up a bit. Didn't really do very much on it last year so it's looking a bit sorry for itself.

Looking forward to a great growing year. 

Mine also needs a lot of TLC.  I've started pruning my apple trees and clearing the veg patch.  I had two rows of runner beans and left quite a lot to go to seed so am now picking the left over beans to plant and bring on.  One problem was that in the gales about a month ago three panels blew off my greenhouse and will need replacing.

17 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Well, I cleared the whole plot and dug about half of it today. I now realise just how unfit I am :).

Back to do the rest tomorrow (if I can still move).

im attempting to dig some footings for a patio .... I did 1 hour , achieved not a great deal and am now wondering if its worth me doing it for the sake of my dodgy back . Ive got a completely blank canvas of a garden  as i moved in a few months back and not a clue about gardening 🙂 

Those footings seem a bit deep for a patio  - it's difficult to tell from the photos. It's an interesting space to work on though. I usually start with a list of requirements.  Do you need a lawn or water feature/pond? Vegetables or just flowers? Low maintenance etc.

I'd probably create a winding gravel path down the side of the house to make it look wider with small beds either side into which you could plant herbs etc so you get a nice aroma as you brush against them. Maybe some climbing plants as well.

23 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Those footings seem a bit deep for a patio  - it's difficult to tell from the photos. It's an interesting space to work on though. I usually start with a list of requirements.  Do you need a lawn or water feature/pond? Vegetables or just flowers? Low maintenance etc.

I'd probably create a winding gravel path down the side of the house to make it look wider with small beds either side into which you could plant herbs etc so you get a nice aroma as you brush against them. Maybe some climbing plants as well.

I’ve had a patio guy in today and yes they are 🙂 .. yeah I’m thinking raised beds on both sides maybe at the back too … possibly a small lawned area . And of course some lighting 🙂 I think it’s probably a bit too small for veg tbh … herbs will be a good idea which I’d not thought of 

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

First bit of gardening in 2023.  Planted 18 bare root strawberry plants in tubs and containers in the greenhouse.  First time I've had a go at strawberries.  Most of the greenhouse will be filled later with tomatoes to be grown in the greenhouse and for starting off bedding plants and veg (mainly runner beans) for the garden and veg patch.

46 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

First bit of gardening in 2023.  Planted 18 bare root strawberry plants in tubs and containers in the greenhouse.  First time I've had a go at strawberries.  Most of the greenhouse will be filled later with tomatoes to be grown in the greenhouse and for starting off bedding plants and veg (mainly runner beans) for the garden and veg patch.

yeah sadly ive not got the room for a greenhouse but this year ive got a few daffodils and things are starting too get established . and a couple of small buckets of tomato plants ... not sure how they will turn out 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...