The Gardening Thread

grumpyhack

You may find that your biggest problem is getting something to plant.  My local garden centre (Caerphilly) is closed as, I think, is B&Q.  So whatever you need may have to be ordered on line.  I've used a couple of firms, Suttons Seeds and Primrose - www.primrose.co.uk.

Their websites will tell you what's available and have some useful growing tips.  Back to my digging.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

You may find that your biggest problem is getting something to plant.  My local garden centre (Caerphilly) is closed as, I think, is B&Q.  So whatever you need may have to be ordered on line.  I've used a couple of firms, Suttons Seeds and Primrose - www.primrose.co.uk.

Their websites will tell you what's available and have some useful growing tips.  Back to my digging.  Good luck.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm far from a gardening expert but remember my dad once telling me that coal ash is no good for growing because its too acidic - so you might want to check that out.

Thought it might not be. It's a good few inches deep, 60-70 years dumping. 😔

Between that and the lathe and mortar, I have loads of excuse for the amount of dust in my house 😔

Might settle for planting in pots out the front garden to start with then.

• 2 weeks later...

B&Q are doing a click and collect service for anyone interested. You pull up to a parking bay, call a mobile number and someone brings out your stuff... it was fantastic! 

I've got tomatoes, peppers and jalapeno seeds starting off in my little patio green house and potatoes and onions in my veg beds... it sounds a bit weird but it just feels so wholesome pottering around the garden trying to grow things. 

• Upvote 3

If I get some raised beds and fresh soil, will that solve the coal ash problem, or do we have to excavate half a century of coal ash. 

Registered for an allotment, but it's a gruesome waiting list. It's only when someone dies that they become available :(

Edited by feral chile

34 minutes ago, feral chile said:

If I get some raised beds and fresh soil, will that solve the coal ash problem, or do we have to excavate half a century of coal ash. 

Registered for an allotment, but it's a gruesome waiting list. It's only when someone dies that they become available :(

Raised beds would be the perfect solution. Put some weed suppressant matting at the bottom so stop any contamination.

Edited by Ommadawn
  • Upvote 1

Have been busy this morning up at the allotment. Planted my potatoes and onion sets and also for the first time a row of shallots. Raspberries are beginning push through and my blackberry has a lot of new growth on it.

In the greenhouse, my Tomato, Chili, Pepper, Melon and Cucumber seeds have all sprouted and are looking good. I'll be sowing the rest of the crops (Courgettes, Butternut Squash, Beans, Swede, Brassica's  etc) over the next few days for transplanting to the allotment next month. 

Virus issues aside, this is one of the best times of the year.  

Good day for me too.  The weather helps.  In my greenhouse I put in six tomato plants, courgettes and cucumbers.  In the veg patch 20 runner bean plants with another 20 to go in tomorrow along with cabbages, peas, lettuce and potatoes.

Woo hoo!!  Twenty more runner bean plants, peas, cauliflower and cabbage today.  Saving the potatoes and lettuce for tomorrow.  You have to spread out the excitement in these lockdown times.

• Upvote 1

Turnips and seed potatoes in the veg patch as well now.

I came across a tin of old seed packets, many a few years past their sell by date but I've planted them in seed trays in the greenhouse just to see if they germinate.  If so, they can be transplanted when ready to the garden.

35 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Turnips and seed potatoes in the veg patch as well now.

I came across a tin of old seed packets, many a few years past their sell by date but I've planted them in seed trays in the greenhouse just to see if they germinate.  If so, they can be transplanted when ready to the garden.

You've been busy. I've just come back from the allotment. Just did a bit of tidying up ready for the weekend.

I think you will be surprised about how many of those old seeds germinate.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:40 PM, Ommadawn said:

You've been busy. I've just come back from the allotment. Just did a bit of tidying up ready for the weekend.

You still have weekends?  All the days have blurred into each other in my lockdown world.

Five hours of fingertip weeding in one of the garden beds today.  Warm but blowing a gale at times.  Big mistake when I sat on an ants' nest during the weeding trying to pull out some of the awkward stuff.  Serves me right for not having paid proper attention to the garden in recent years. Should finish clearing the bed tomorrow and then possibly a bit of lawn mowing.

16 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

A load of sweet peas arrived today - probably about a hundred seedlings, far more than I ordered - so there are going to be sweet peas throughout the garden.

I love a good sweet pea. Mum an Dad used to grow them a lot.

I did some Harlequin sweet peas one year and they are lovely. Bloody green fly on them though was mad

Edited by fred quimby

I'm really peeved off finding places to plant 100 sweet peas, creating little wigwams for them to grow up but first having to de-weed the areas.  Still last ones to go in tomorrow and then I can move on to lawn mowing.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, now the garden centres are open, my husband thinks a greenhouse is all we need to grow veg enough for 3 of us, do we need a greenhouse, is a greenhouse just raised beds with a polytunnel? I want it as organic as possible.

A greenhouse is useful to bring seedlings on early.  Sowing seeds from a packet as opposed to buying plants that have been started out in a nursery greenhouse is a lot cheaper.  Also a greenhouse is great for things like tomatoes and cucumbers.

I got a polytunnel this year. Someone was giving away the frame if collected.

Must say I am liking it. Lovely bring on seeds and obviously been useful during lockdown.

Most things are coming on in the tunnel and the garden. Beetroot been destroyed by something. Have netted it all now.

Very lucky to have a Garden during these times