The Gardening Thread

grumpyhack

I'm sure there used to be a gardening thread but I can find it to resurrect so I thought I'd start afresh.

Some friends came over at the weekend and brought a load of winter pansy plants that I've just put in and, with the promise of drier weather, I'm planning to start clearing my veg patch next week.

I know it's all hopelessly late but better late than never.

Any other gardeners out there?

Got my chillis and peppers planted this weekend. Second attempt after last year which wasn't so successful. I had a spider mite infestation plus I think I planted them too close together. Going for Bulgarian carrot, Corno Rosso, Topepo Rosso and Anaheim this year. I also planted some blueberry bushes last year which haven't done anything yet, they don't seem to have enjoyed the winter too much.

Yep, I'm a gardener. Made a start this weekend. Bought seeds, started on a growing plan for this year. Got tomato and chilli seeds in the heated propagator. May plant some spuds out tomorrow, but the soil is too wet and heavy for much work, and too cold still to plant much out to soil.

Just started digging over my patch in preparation. Bit early for Spuds I would have thought, are you so far South as not to worry about May Frost?

I have been looking at gardening as a hobby which is within my physical means to get myself back to fitness (I've basically been sat down for 2 years, having lived 40 active years prior to that).

One problem I have is that my house is an old battery factory worker's terrace and I've been told that the soil around here is poison and you shouldn't grow anything you plan to eat. Can anyone knowledgable confirm whether it would be likely to be a risk (the factory closed more than 30 years ago, was 400m away from where I am now but was running for the best part of a century).

If it is a risk, my plan is to use home built planters on patio, which obviously incurs extra cost and extra effort.

if you have an INEXCESS near you they've got loads of great deals on bulbs .ive got some that apparently grow a single flower head about 5/6 foot high only got about 5/6 and popped them in with my flags ....................cant wait to see wot they come up like ...

even done a hanging basket this year !! :jig:

I have been looking at gardening as a hobby which is within my physical means to get myself back to fitness (I've basically been sat down for 2 years, having lived 40 active years prior to that).

One problem I have is that my house is an old battery factory worker's terrace and I've been told that the soil around here is poison and you shouldn't grow anything you plan to eat. Can anyone knowledgable confirm whether it would be likely to be a risk (the factory closed more than 30 years ago, was 400m away from where I am now but was running for the best part of a century).

If it is a risk, my plan is to use home built planters on patio, which obviously incurs extra cost and extra effort.

Spindles, could you do raised planters? If you put tarp between the original soil and new soil you should be okay?

I'm looking for something exciting/new to grow. Last year we did mushrooms (actual mushrooms, none of those "fancy" mushrooms ;) ) and chillis.

Spindles, could you do raised planters? If you put tarp between the original soil and new soil you should be okay? I'm looking for something exciting/new to grow. Last year we did mushrooms (actual mushrooms, none of those "fancy" mushrooms ;) ) and chillis.
You're going to need very deep beds, otherwise anything you grow will root through the tarp and into the original soil Better first to check with the local authority to find out if there is any record of soil contamination

Unless the local authority can confirm it's ok, which looking at that test link would appear doubtful, planters on the Patio are look like a best bet. Maybe just start with 1 and go forward as and when you can. Haven't done this myself and thinking off top of head, If aesthetics are not an issue I wonder if you could maybe use some heavy duty pallets (prob get them cheap) and lined with pond butyl might offer a cheaper option.

Do you have any sheds in your garden,I have built a few Green roofs lately,they would be ok for Salad stuffs

Make sure your roof is strong enough though or reinforce it, that soil will be heavy, especially when wet.

Yeah, I have one of those cheap green galvanized steel panel sheds with a flat sloping roof which I was thinking would be ideal for exactly that, and I think that raised planters is the safest option.

I'm mostly thinking of growing salad stuffs, but the idea of something along the lines of onions and cabbage appeals. I'm guessing that, with only really a depth of maybe 30cm of soil that anything like potatoes would be out of the question.

Yeah, I have one of those cheap green galvanized steel panel sheds with a flat sloping roof which I was thinking would be ideal for exactly that, and I think that raised planters is the safest option.

I'm mostly thinking of growing salad stuffs, but the idea of something along the lines of onions and cabbage appeals. I'm guessing that, with only really a depth of maybe 30cm of soil that anything like potatoes would be out of the question.

If your gonna go the green roof option I wouldn't go more than 6'' of soil,too heavy

My younger daughter is coming up tomorrow to make a start on preparing my veg plot. I would be working with her but I've now been roped in to help construct a new boules piste in our village after we lost ours with the closure of our last village pub at the weekend.. But hopefully more gardening to report on later in the week.

• 1 year later...

Having had a few glorious days in the garden I thought it might be interesting to resurrect this thread to see if there are any other gardeners on here.

Had a lovely planting time in the last few days. Put in runner beans, climbing french beans and lettuce in the garden. Also tomatoes and some red peppers in the greenhouse.

I've been meaning to get into gardening, in the sense that I'd love to have home grown produce - it's the actual gardening I'm worried about - all the creepy crawlies. And I won't kill anything, so I doubt I'd ever get to eat anything I grew.

I've been meaning to get into gardening, in the sense that I'd love to have home grown produce - it's the actual gardening I'm worried about - all the creepy crawlies. And I won't kill anything, so I doubt I'd ever get to eat anything I grew.

I'm confused. "I wont kill anything, so I doubt I'd ever get to eat anything I grew."

Does that mean you couldn't eat a tomato that you'd grown but you could eat a tomato picked by someone else, packed up and sold in a supermarket?

I'm confused. "I wont kill anything, so I doubt I'd ever get to eat anything I grew."

Does that mean you couldn't eat a tomato that you'd grown but you could eat a tomato picked by someone else, packed up and sold in a supermarket?

Ah no, I meant the slugs would eat everything first! (And all the other pesties)

Though I am hypocritical about meat - I'd be vegetarian if I had to actually kill that carcass I pick up from the supermarket each week!