General News Discussion

7 hours ago, eFestivals said:

who knew Miliband was decent? Those who weren't demanding Scottish. ;) 

He wasn't decent when he was LOTO tho was he? To say otherwise is total revisionism. 

That said, he does seem to be relishing his new cabinet role with the pressure off him. 

Also even if every SNP seat at that election went to Labour instead it wouldn't have made Ed PM 👍

• Replies 68.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• feral chile

• zahidf

• pink_triangle

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And what ensued was the world's most banal news coverage, endless statements from cretins who live in south Manchester that had seen 2 planes. 'Alfie Brick, 61, from Burnage, told us exclusively "

Oh but it's not sexual discrimination when Ian Watkins feeds a baby with entirely-edible protein-rich nutrients via his boy-valve there's a big freaking Hoo Hah?

I do understand the need to compromise some values to get elected, but which ones and to what extent is aways going to be comoplicated. For you, despite your strong views to the contrary, you think La

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

He wasn't decent when he was LOTO tho was he? To say otherwise is total revisionism. 

I was thinking that last night when he was speaking. Any result in that election from a labour win to a second tory / lib dem coalition (as the lib dems would of blocked the EU ref) and we wouldn't be in this mess. I wonder if he still thinks challenging his brother was a wise move.

He then put the icing on the cake changing the parties membership rules allowing the London wing of the Palestine liberation army to sign up giving us 4 years of no functioning opposition.

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

That said, he does seem to be relishing his new cabinet role with the pressure off him. 

Also even if every SNP seat at that election went to Labour instead it wouldn't have made Ed PM 

I wouldn't bother challenging Neil - he is on a mission to get either his hatred of Corbyn or the SNP into the most possible posts - I actually thought it would be Corbyn for this one: but hey if it's not one-  its the other 🙄

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Also even if every SNP seat at that election went to Labour instead it wouldn't have made Ed PM 👍

I think he was in a no win situation. He never looked comfortable as leader and probably needed another 5 years experience to be comfortable in his own skin. Trouble is if he had waited 5 years Dave Milliband would have been labour leader, making Ed very unlikely to succeed him regardless of his merits as a politician.

He's looked a lot more confident and comfortable since leaving the leadership. I wouldn't say he wasn't competent, but he wasn't inspiring. He looked and acted a lot more geeky than, whereas now he's quite witty and alive.

16 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

it depends if 'decent' is brains and policies, or the ability to eat a bacon sandwich and have his dad called a traitor.

I'm guessing you go with the 2nd.

he's been one of the best performers in parliament since he stopped being Labour leader. It's not a recent thing.

who knew the electorate vote stupid? Remember, 50% of that electorate are lower than average intelligence.

Yes, even in exceptional Scotland.

Edited by eFestivals
14 hours ago, LJS said:

I wouldn't bother challenging Neil - he is on a mission to get either his hatred of Corbyn or the SNP into the most possible posts - I actually thought it would be Corbyn for this one: but hey if it's not one-  its the other 🙄

When did Scots like you start loving the SNP and abandon Labour? Oh, when a Scot stopped being Labour leader.

But it's not all about me-me-me like a tory, eh? :lol: 

Edited by eFestivals
12 hours ago, mcshed said:

It might have had an impact outside of Scotland as well.

2e3f4b0f-f8db-4aae-8e61-42affc16f61a-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg

the snippers have given the tories a fantastic line of attack for every election to help the tories win.

Because it's not just snippers who do me-me-me, even tho they like to think their me-me-me makes them exceptionally-special and nothing like a tory.

Edited by eFestivals
3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it depends if 'decent' is brains and policies, or the ability to eat a bacon sandwich and have his dad called a traitor.

I'm guessing you go with the 2nd.

Nah my background is in policy, I read manifestos. However, I am not naive enough to think that is what makes the majority of the electorate vote. 

In a two party system, a Labour leader would be 'decent' if he wins an election.

he's been one of the best performers in parliament since he stopped being Labour leader. It's not a recent thing.

So by your own admission after he was LOTO lol, bit late then isn't it?

who knew the electorate vote stupid? Remember, 50% of that electorate are lower than average intelligence.

Yes, even in exceptional Scotland.

Not sure where to begin with this tbh.

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

So by your own admission after he was LOTO lol, bit late then isn't it?

he's been a less nervous performer since being leader than he was as leader. 

The point I was making was how much better than Corbyn he was. Even Owen Jones is starting to admit he was a dithering old fool.

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Not sure where to begin with this tbh.

uh? :blink:

It's a fact of mathematics that 50% of the population are below average intelligence.

My take on that is all parties attract their share of idiots. Whether or not they attract them equally can be argued over.

But whatever, some ideas are idiotic. Scottish indy got its boost with oil myths of great riches, the very antithesis of the 'more left wing' that went alongside it.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

he's been a less nervous performer since being leader than he was as leader. 

The point I was making was how much better than Corbyn he was. Even Owen Jones is starting to admit he was a dithering old fool.

It seems LJS was correct and you will try shoe horn in Corbyn or SNP to every post here 😆

If there is one thing I don't need convinced of it's that Corbyn was a totally inept leader you don't need to worry about that.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

uh? :blink:

It's a fact of mathematics that 50% of the population are below average intelligence.

My take on that is all parties attract their share of idiots. Whether or not they attract them equally can be argued over.

But whatever, some ideas are idiotic. Scottish indy got its boost with oil myths of great riches, the very antithesis of the 'more left wing' that went alongside it.

I never said it wasn't true I just thought it was an incredibly weird thing to say. 

It seems LJS was correct and you will try shoe horn in Corbyn or SNP to every post here 😆

:)

I never said it wasn't true I just thought it was an incredibly weird thing to say. 

He thinks he's being clever... You know like the top 50%.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/16/extinction-rebellion-go-floppy-when-arrested-complains-senior-met-officer

I'm no expert but I would have thought senior police complaining about protesters going "floppy" is a sure fire way of making sure the practice becomes widespread.

Oh yes. I completely anticipate it spreading further.

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/16/extinction-rebellion-go-floppy-when-arrested-complains-senior-met-officer

I'm no expert but I would have thought senior police complaining about protesters going "floppy" is a sure fire way of making sure the practice becomes widespread.

I've been thinking about this a bit more since you mentioned it, and I'm thinking that while it'll probably happen more in the UK, it'd be a very brave person who tried it with American police. If I were getting arrested here, I'd probably consider trying it, but I'd be terrified that US police would just let my neck snap.

My friend in work says her daughter is self isolating because she came into contact with someone with Covid. Having struggled to get a test she is self isolating. Being NHS I would get full pay if self isolating and unable to work. I fear we won't get on top of this if we aren't paying people a proper wage to stay at home.

19 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

:rolleyes: 

If there is one thing I don't need convinced of it's that Corbyn was a totally inept leader you don't need to worry about that.

Then you shouldn't have any difficulty in seeing how much better Miliband was.

Oh, but you have done, else I wouldn't be replying to this post, and I wouldn't have mentioned Corbyn for you to go moron about just above.

Mentioning truth is weird? Then the world is fucked.

17 hours ago, LJS said:

:)

He thinks he's being clever... You know like the top 50%.

Well, I've never voted to punch myself in the face if that's what you mean, and I've never had my vote shaped by xenophobia either.

How's your life today...? :D 

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Mentioning truth is weird? Then the world is fucked.

It's a weird thing to say as it doesn't actually mean anything it is a tautology, by definition 50% of the population are less than average on anything.

Saying 50% of the population have less than average intelligence as a way of trying to say voters are dumb is like saying 50% of the population are lower than average height as a way of trying to say the population is short.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Well, I've never voted to punch myself in the face if that's what you mean, and I've never had my vote shaped by xenophobia either.

How's your life today...? :D 

My life's great today, thanks Neil.
Apart from all the English bastards of course..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It's a weird thing to say as it doesn't actually mean anything

Doesn't it?

Don't you think the fact that some are on the wrong side of the average has something to do with why sometimes the population votes stupid?

11 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Saying 50% of the population have less than average intelligence as a way of trying to say voters are dumb is like saying 50% of the population are lower than average height as a way of trying to say the population is short.

Nope, it's nothing at all like it. 

Cos in your comparison the outcome is always the same. It's not that with the outcome of votes. :rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, LJS said:

My life's great today, thanks Neil.
Apart from all the English bastards of course..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I see you're becoming a bit more wings every day.

Enjoy the victory that will never be that victory, same as for the brexiters.

Edited by eFestivals
1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Doesn't it?

Don't you think the fact that some are on the wrong side of the average has something to do with why sometimes the population votes stupid?

No because if you magically improved everyone's intelligence 100-fold the population would be less likely to vote stupid but it would still be true that 50% were below average.

More interesting would be the spread of the population's intelligence but intelligence is a very tricky concept to measure.

In terms of voting stupid I think looking at people's susceptibility to emotional arguments would be interesting, I don't think it is just intelligence that is involved there, plenty of intelligent people think much less rationally when they feel very strongly about something.

• Upvote 1