Barry Fish

General News Discussion

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

Not a fan then?

Who do you think is the most talented?

oh, I think Cooper is one of the more-able Labour MPs.

But that doesn't make any of it what TGT claimed for it. She doesn't have to be superb to wipe the floor with either Spaffer or Corbyn.

1 hour ago, LJS said:

Sturgeon has studiously avoided blaming anyone...even the evil English! She had constantly talked up the benefits of cooperation and frequently referred to the virus not respecting borders.

:lol: 

Sturgeon has played politics all the way thru (tho like Starmer played it carefully; there's risk of a backlash), and is happy to soak up the praise while running away from answering a question about the biggest error of all - an error that falls within her powers, not Spaffer's.

(some of how she's gently pointed fingers at Spaffer is justified. It's the other stuff which gives her away).

1 hour ago, LJS said:

Snippers galore may be saying this (& indeed recent polling in Scotland showd we have massively more faith in Sturgeon\Holyrood than Johnson\Westminster) but Sturgeon isn't.

I don't disagree. Has nothing to do with the point I was making.

those contradictions of yours highlights exactly what I was getting at.

Snippers galore are heaping praise on her doing a better job, when better job is much more about geography than policy. (and where she had the chance to do a properly better job she happily took her cue from Spaffer).

3 hours ago, Neil said:

Nah, just a better PM that never was than Corbyn - not a high bar at all.

Just as her getting the better of your man isn't a high bar either. 

Not my man thank you. 

26 minutes ago, Neil said:

oh, I think Cooper is one of the more-able Labour MPs.

But that doesn't make any of it what TGT claimed for it. She doesn't have to be superb to wipe the floor with either Spaffer or Corbyn.

What are you suggesting I claimed?

54 minutes ago, Neil said:

:lol: 

Sturgeon has played politics all the way thru (tho like Starmer played it carefully; there's risk of a backlash), and is happy to soak up the praise while running away from answering a question about the biggest error of all - an error that falls within her powers, not Spaffer's.

(some of how she's gently pointed fingers at Spaffer is justified. It's the other stuff which gives her away).

those contradictions of yours highlights exactly what I was getting at.

Snippers galore are heaping praise on her doing a better job, when better job is much more about geography than policy. (and where she had the chance to do a properly better job she happily took her cue from Spaffer).

Just a wee reminder Neil, the only point I made was that Sturgeon's communication skills were better. At no time have I said that the Scottish government's policies have been better or that it is all someone else's fault. I challenge anyone to watch today's press conferences and come to a different conclusion.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, LJS said:

Just a wee reminder Neil, the only point I made was that Sturgeon's communication skills were better. At no time have I said that the Scottish government's policies have been better or that it is all someone else's fault. I challenge anyone to watch today's press conferences and come to a different conclusion.

To be honest I don't think there is much difference in communication skills between Hancock and Sturgeon. I would put both in the ok, but not great category.

57 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

To be honest I don't think there is much difference in communication skills between Hancock and Sturgeon. I would put both in the ok, but not great category.

Really?

10 minutes ago, LJS said:

Really?

Yes I’m sure you could select videos of them both getting it wrong, but overall history will remember neither of being particularly great or terrible when it comes to communication skills.

51 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Yes I’m sure you could select videos of them both getting it wrong,

It would be a lot easier with Hancock.

51 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

but overall history will remember neither of being particularly great or terrible when it comes to communication skills.

Maybe you need to be in Scotland to understand.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll-majority-scots-back-nicola-sturgeon-during-pandemic-snp-voting-intention-2732064

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

😂

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LJS said:

It would be a lot easier with Hancock.

Really?

Have you forgotten Sturgeon backing her own rule breaker?

7 hours ago, LJS said:

because of course that's got nothing to do with Sturgeon playing things off Spaffer. :lol: 

Perhaps instead look at the facts of the handling of the pandemic?

Mass Nike outbreak known about by Sturgeon: no action.

Acting too late, fuck all different to Spaffer: check.

Happy discharge of covid to care homes: check.

etc, etc, etc.

Surrounding the same poor response with fluffy kittens and pointing at Spaffer gets extra devotion from the true believers and suckers a big chuck of the standard 50% who don't pay attention (just as Spaffer suckers a big chunk of the standard 50% who don't pay attention).

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Really?

Have you forgotten Sturgeon backing her own rule breaker?

because of course that's got nothing to do with Sturgeon playing things off Spaffer. :lol: 

Perhaps instead look at the facts of the handling of the pandemic?

Mass Nike outbreak known about by Sturgeon: no action.

Acting too late, fuck all different to Spaffer: check.

Happy discharge of covid to care homes: check.

etc, etc, etc.

Surrounding the same poor response with fluffy kittens and pointing at Spaffer gets extra devotion from the true believers and suckers a big chuck of the standard 50% who don't pay attention (just as Spaffer suckers a big chunk of the standard 50% who don't pay attention).

Personally, backing their rule breakers who are human and make mistakes isn't an issue with me, depending on the public outcome.

I would like them to own their mistakes and have some sincerity. Though I think carrying an active infection around is difficult to defend. Yet some still are defending him. It's the refusal to admit they're fallible that gets me. They just don't give a toss enough to even pretend to give a toss.

Then there's all the timing of it. Mother's birthday. Wife's birthday. Uncle's death. Announcements of deals done straight after Cunnings returns to work, linked to his sister and to Barnard Castle. And Barnard Castle being an historic reference to pathetic excuse, and cowardice.

Mind you, there's such a surreal feel to this. All this sun. A virus that takes out the sick and old, that halts the destruction humans are wreaking on the planet, that is killed by sunlight in a very long sunny stretch and the drama of a country's leader having a brush with the virus.

It's like a badly scripted sci-fi drama. 

Edited by feral chile

Covid-19 spreading too fast to lift lockdown in England – Sage advisers

Scientist says 8,000 daily coronavirus infections makes relaxing restrictions too risky

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/29/covid-19-spreading-too-fast-to-lift-uk-lockdown-sage-adviser

I fear he may be right. It will be interesting to compare cases & deaths in England with the numbers up here where the government is taking a more cautious approach to easing lockdown. 

On 5/28/2020 at 9:58 AM, zahidf said:

Very good from starmer

It's hard not to think we would be doing much better with Starmer leading a labour government. Unfortunately the current incompetent government have 4 years to mess things up further.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Sturgeon made the same screw ups

I am not sure the UK, Scottish or Welsh administrations come out of this with much credit. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Sturgeon made the same screw ups

I broadly agree, certainly on care homes, PPE & testing. However I think given the situation in March all 4 nations entered lockdown too late - & its difficult to see how Scotland (or Wales) could have "gone it alone" earlier given that we do not have the fiscal powers to put in place the financial support needed to underpin lockdown (Holyrood has very limited borrowing powers.)

We are however seeing a significantly more cautious approach to easing lockdown up here - which makes sense to me and maybe that sturgeon has learned from her mistakes unlike Mr johnson & Co.

Edited by LJS

33 minutes ago, LJS said:

I broadly agree, certainly on care homes, PPE & testing. However I think given the situation in March all 4 nations entered lockdown too late - & its difficult to see how Scotland (or Wales) could have "gone it alone" earlier given that we do not have the fiscal powers to put in place the financial support needed to underpin lockdown (Holyrood has very limited borrowing powers.)

Were Wales and Scotland calling for earlier lockdown at the time?

37 minutes ago, LJS said:

We are however seeing a significantly more cautious approach to easing lockdown up here - which makes sense to me and maybe that sturgeon has learned from her mistakes unlike Mr johnson & Co.

As things stand today, Scotland is less locked down than England. That's not more cautious.

Tomorrow they'll be almost identical. The differences that will exist will be just about meaningless for virus transmission.

But hey, when more cautious is just about the same, the difference is spin.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I am not sure the UK, Scottish or Welsh administrations come out of this with much credit. 

Scotland and Wales are no longer part of the UK? When did that happen?

1 minute ago, feral chile said:

Scotland and Wales are no longer part of the UK? When did that happen?

Scotland and Wales both have administrations with influence on handling of this crisis.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Scotland and Wales both have administrations with influence on handling of this crisis.

Agreed. But we are not separate from the UK. We are either part of the UK or one of the 4 nations. It was the UK government part I was questioning. 

It's not clear whether you meant England, Westminster, central/devolved etc.

Edited by feral chile

4 minutes ago, feral chile said:

Agreed. But we are not separate from the UK. We are either part of the UK or one of the 4 nations. It was the UK government part I was questioning. 

It's not clear whether you meant England, Westminster, central/devolved etc.

The UK government has influenced over Scotland and Wales , as do their own admimistratons. That is 3 different political parties. I am not convinced any have enhanced their reputation.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

As things stand today, Scotland is less locked down than England. That's not more cautious.

England has encouraged folk to go back to work if they can. Scotland hasn't.

This includes construction workers who were encouraged to return to work in England on 11 May. In scotland firms have been allowed to "prepare" for  return to work from Friday 28 May 

In England you can travel as far as you wish to sunbathe, take exercise or dive off cliffs. In Scotland you should not travel m ore than 5 miles

garden centres opened over 2 weeks earlier in England than in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Tomorrow they'll be almost identical. The differences that will exist will be just about meaningless for virus transmission.

England is starting to open Schools tomorrow - Scotland is aiming for 11 August.

England is letting the those who have been shielding out tomorrow. Scotland isn't.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

But hey, when more cautious is just about the same, the difference is spin.

I think the way the message is presented is significant too - There is clear caution in the way Sturgeon is delivering the messages around easing of the lockdown and a strategy which doesn't plck dates out of the air weeks in advance. 

And as far as i can see Sturgeon'sturgoen's way has seen less scenes like these up here.

image.png.5ef5b017d3af56a421f8fdd959b885ee.png

Just for clarity - i'm not saying there have been none - but there appear to have been less.

In England you seem to get some part of lockdown eased every day. Its almost like they have a hat full of measures & they pick one each day. In fairness to them though they do have Cummingsgate which they des[erately need to distract people from.  

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The UK government has influenced over Scotland and Wales , as do their own admimistratons. That is 3 different political parties. I am not convinced any have enhanced their reputation.

It's either 1 or 4, surely? Devolved powers leave England as England by default, not the UK. Over Covid/health, at least.

That's my understanding, anyway.