Barry Fish

General News Discussion

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Stupid Boris 

But who's to say that there won't be another £200m in 6 months?  TC is an outdated entity - most people are booking online, yet they must spend a fortune on outlets/brochures/etc.  I imagine the administrators will come in and leave it just as an online business.  Also, if they rescued TC, then where do they draw the line with other businesses that go down the pan.....why would TC be more important than Blockbuster / Woolies / HMV / etc.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

What do people think about the pledge to end private schools? I haven't made my mind up on this one. If you ask me whether I am pro or anti private schools, my natural response is anti. However at the same time if you ask me what would be my main priority in education it wouldn't be this.

I also am not convinced it is a vote winner. I fear it's red meat for the base, but possibly a turn off for swing voters who may have their kids in these schools.

Rayner is an impressive politician, so no better person to sell the policy.

I read in the paper this morning that the plan also originally involved taking independent school assets and redistributing them - until it was realised that this would be illegal.

I don't think it's a good move as a lot of middle class voters will see independent schools as aspiration, rather than elitist.  I went to Newcastle Grammar School and costs were more 'reasonable' back in the nineties up north than you'd pay now (my folks weren't well off and sacrificed a lot to send me there, yet I couldn't afford to send my son private now down in Herts.

My two best mates at school (and now) were on assisted places and they had no chance of going there without these schemes, so worry about scrapping them.  As gives smart kids a chance to shine.

Also how does the state sector cope with the influx of extra pupils coming in. 

6 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

But who's to say that there won't be another £200m in 6 months?  TC is an outdated entity - most people are booking online, yet they must spend a fortune on outlets/brochures/etc.  I imagine the administrators will come in and leave it just as an online business.  Also, if they rescued TC, then where do they draw the line with other businesses that go down the pan.....why would TC be more important than Blockbuster / Woolies / HMV / etc.

200 million to keep the company open long enough to get people home, vs 600 million to get people home yourself.

They were happy to spend that amount on no deal advertising and the garden bridge..  

2 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

I read in the paper this morning that the plan also originally involved taking independent school assets and redistributing them - until it was realised that this would be illegal.

I don't think it's a good move as a lot of middle class voters will see independent schools as aspiration, rather than elitist.  I went to Newcastle Grammar School and costs were more 'reasonable' back in the nineties up north than you'd pay now (my folks weren't well off and sacrificed a lot to send me there, yet I couldn't afford to send my son private now down in Herts.

My two best mates at school (and now) were on assisted places and they had no chance of going there without these schemes, so worry about scrapping them.  As gives smart kids a chance to shine.

Also how does the state sector cope with the influx of extra pupils coming in. 

It's not all going to happen at once. 

19 minutes ago, zahidf said:

200 million to keep the company open long enough to get people home, vs 600 million to get people home yourself.

They were happy to spend that amount on no deal advertising and the garden bridge..  

Government are not paying 600m or much at all. All the travel companies pay into ATOL for circumstances like this, the media as usual are hyping it up and blaming the government.

I'm sure Brexit will get blamed soon enough.

34 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

I find it ridiculous that left wing people are advocating bailing out big businesses. We should be protecting the vulnerable in society, not rich people that fail at capitalism.

8 minutes ago, thetime said:

Government are not paying 600m or much at all. All the travel companies pay into ATOL for circumstances like this, the media as usual are hyping it up and blaming the government.

I'm sure Brexit will get blamed soon enough.

Quite. While this £600m is a figure it could cost, that's before you factor in ATOL and personal travel insurance, which will cover the vast majority of things like this. Also several other airlines are using this as a promotional opportunity, offering to transport the "stranded" back for free. I'd be surprised if it's much over £50m the gov ends up spending.

13 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I find it ridiculous that left wing people are advocating bailing out big businesses. We should be protecting the vulnerable in society, not rich people that fail at capitalism. 

The 21k jobs lost are going to create more vulnerable in society...

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Dont you want less people flying? If you do the consequence is that some people in that industry will lose their jobs.  Of course phasing them out would be better than what we have now.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

It's not all going to happen at once. 

The trouble is if its in the election manifesto that is how it will be painted. I see this policy as more vote loser than gainer, even if I have sympathies with the arguments.  If labour are trying to hold together a fairly middle class coalition of voters then I have concerns it could cause people to peel away.  

I also think some people wrongly believe everyone in private schools are toffs, but I know quite a few people/parents who have gone/sent their kids due to huge sacrifices.

13 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The trouble is if its in the election manifesto that is how it will be painted. I see this policy as more vote loser than gainer, even if I have sympathies with the arguments.  If labour are trying to hold together a fairly middle class coalition of voters then I have concerns it could cause people to peel away.  

I also think some people wrongly believe everyone in private schools are toffs, but I know quite a few people/parents who have gone/sent their kids due to huge sacrifices.

They aren't abolishing them though are they, just putting them in state control so you can send them without paying ridiculous fees...

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Dont you want less people flying? If you do the consequence is that some people in that industry will lose their jobs.  Of course phasing them out would be better than what we have now.

Travel agencies can adapt to other methods of travel. Reducing carbon footprints from air travel doesn't mean the instant collapse of travel agencies!

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

They aren't abolishing them though are they, just putting them in state control so you can send them without paying ridiculous fees...

So do you think people who send (or plan to send) their kids to private schools will look at it that way?

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

So do you think people who send (or plan to send) their kids to private schools will look at it that way?

Rich ones won't. The middle.class ones who struggle to pay the fees? They'll be fine with it I imagine!

51 minutes ago, zahidf said:

9k UK jobs. There will be (limited) redundancy packages. Spread throughout the UK. It's not like a car plant closing where all the job losses will be tanked in one city, the proportion of these people who are going to be thrust into poverty is small.

If you want the government to pay for people to have jobs, create more government jobs, not have government subsidising failing businesses.

15 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

What do people think about the pledge to end private schools? I haven't made my mind up on this one. If you ask me whether I am pro or anti private schools, my natural response is anti. However at the same time if you ask me what would be my main priority in education it wouldn't be this.

I also am not convinced it is a vote winner. I fear it's red meat for the base, but possibly a turn off for swing voters who may have their kids in these schools.

Rayner is an impressive politician, so no better person to sell the policy.

Well, it will have a very big effect on the business I work for as we deal almost exclusively with independent schools.

I wonder what Diane Abbot's view is on this?

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Travel agencies can adapt to other methods of travel. Reducing carbon footprints from air travel doesn't mean the instant collapse of travel agencies!

I honestly believe there is no way Thomas Cook could adapt to 2019 without losing jobs. I agree with points above, save it now and not only do they come back pretty quickly, it also sets a bad precident.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I honestly believe there is no way Thomas Cook could adapt to 2019 without losing jobs. I agree with points above, save it now and not only do they come back pretty quickly, it also sets a bad precident.

Bit rich of Johnson to talk about moral hazard!

I'd say a one of payment is better overall than trying to bring 150k tourists back home.. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'd say a one of payment is better overall than trying to bring 150k tourists back home.. 

Why? They'll just get the spare seats on flights from other air companies, maybe not at exactly the right time but they will. It will be mostly covered by insurance as well.

The £600m cost was based if the british government paid for specific flights to be arranged for all of them, that's not how air travel works.

I'm also not convinced it'd be a one off payment. The next company to go bust will just ask for a bailout again.

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But the government are not paying to bring people home, do you know what ATOL is or have read what people have posted on here.