Barry Fish

General News Discussion

24 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Doesn't excuse his anti semitism or islamaphobia, or him amping it up to gain political power 

My point stands.  It's strange how Orban gets a pass but Jones does a couple of wiki edits some people disagree with and he's a racist.

You said back then that Ottoman occupation of Hungary will have had no impact upon public opinion there. Nationalists in Hungary whipping up and exploiting Islamaphobia is of the same order as Irish anti-English sentiment. I remember lost calling you out on your complete lack of understanding of the issue, and you whining about him defending Orban. If you're going to reference a previous argument, it's probably better you don't reference one where you were displaying incredible ignorance.

14 hours ago, zahidf said:

Dunno when fornby got breast cancer, there were quite a few people on here of the attitude that 'hopefully someone else better gets the general secretary job'

someone else will be doing the job when she's off work.

I can't really see anyone hoping that someone worse has taken over, can you?

9 hours ago, zahidf said:

That's my point. Would you agree that of some one announces they have cancer, that it may be bad timing to discuss their job performance?

I didn't discuss her job performance. I didn't feel the need to virtue signal either.

When she said she was stepping away from the job for a while I said i hoped the replacement did a better job. 

Edited by eFestivals

Really odd things about the tory leadership contest...

1. that the front runners are making the same promises that did for May - a deal we can all live with and if the EU won't give us that, then 'no deal is better than a bad deal' - which a no-deal at their choice, that they'll hold responsibility for.

2. that there's so many queuing up to hold the shitty stick that's brexit. 

It's not a surprise that Boris and some other 'big names' are going for it, but what is a surprise is all of the smaller names. It's not a surprise that the front-runners feel the need to out-brexit the brexit party, but it is a surprise they're being careless with words that will be used back at them.

I've got some extra popcorn in.

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

I see Jones as more a Toby young or dan Hodges. Massively partisan, but they aren't advocating mass murder. Just advocating a view I don't agree with but with the odd moments of lucidity.

I don’t agree, I would see Young and Hodges more like a Kevin Maguire. They are partisan journalists, but I don’t think they are bothered about being celebrities.

I think Owen and Hopkins are completely about being controversial to get retweets and people talking about them. They then use this social media presence to make money. Looking at the amount of followers they are both successful, but I think people who see a significant difference in both probably like one but not the other.

49 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Really odd things about the tory leadership contest...

1. that the front runners are making the same promises that did for May - a deal we can all live with and if the EU won't give us that, then 'no deal is better than a bad deal' - which a no-deal at their choice, that they'll hold responsibility for.

2. that there's so many queuing up to hold the shitty stick that's brexit. 

It's not a surprise that Boris and some other 'big names' are going for it, but what is a surprise is all of the smaller names. It's not a surprise that the front-runners feel the need to out-brexit the brexit party, but it is a surprise they're being careless with words that will be used back at them.

I've got some extra popcorn in.

In all honesty I think some of the smaller names are just trying to raise their profile knowing they have no chance of winning. I think we are heading towards Boris v Hunt (is a more c**tish final possible) as I the less hardcore Brexiteers will fall in line behind the latter.

Its funny I am not a huge fan of debates, but would love to see them all duke it out in an American style debate.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It's not a surprise that Boris and some other 'big names' are going for it, but what is a surprise is all of the smaller names. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

In all honesty I think some of the smaller names are just trying to raise their profile knowing they have no chance of winning. 

Not just a chance to raise their profile but they can also pull out and lend their support to another in exchange for the promise of a juicy cabinet job.

If it came down to Bojo vs rhyming slang I really don't know who I'd detest more. I'm hoping that anyone else makes it through.

52 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

If it came down to Bojo vs rhyming slang I really don't know who I'd detest more. I'm hoping that anyone else makes it through.

Know what you mean. Equally detestable Gove at 8/1 looks the value bet.

Boris to surely come unstuck if it’s a longish campaign. His cupboard must still be rammed with skeletons for an odds on shot.

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's like choosing your favourite method of torture. However I suspect Raab may be as bad (if not worse) but we just don't know him as well. I think he is more hardcore Brexit than Boris, Gove or Hunt.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

Know what you mean. Equally detestable Gove at 8/1 looks the value bet.

Boris to surely come unstuck if it’s a longish campaign. His cupboard must still be rammed with skeletons for an odds on shot.

The skeletons didn't stop Trump and wonder if the Tory membership will just accept them. Agree Gove is value as he could pitch himself as the unity candidate.

Terrible interview from Len Mcluskey on Pienaar politics today. Basically having a go at Tom Watson, saying Labour policy is great and we should leave the EU.

Of course Brexiteers like Mcluskey, Milne and Corbyn won’t be hit the hardest when the shit hits the fan.

FWIW I agree with Watson, but it doesn't look good if it looks like there is a organised plot against Corbyn

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

FWIW I agree with Watson, but it doesn't look good if it looks like there is a organised plot against Corbyn

Has there ever been a plot against a leader that wasn’t organised?

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It's like choosing your favourite method of torture. However I suspect Raab may be as bad (if not worse) but we just don't know him as well. I think he is more hardcore Brexit than Boris, Gove or Hunt.

I think Raab is Grayling level of incompetence combined with Gove level of belief in Brexit.

Gove is passionately for Brexit, but I think he realises that if it's done stupidly, the UK will rejoin the EU under worse terms at some point. I think he's our best hope for Revoke and Renegotiate.

Green parties making just as much of an impact in these EU elections as nationalists, but of course are/will get half as much of the media coverage

Tories came fourth in hillingdon: Boris seat. Tories are fucked in London. Came 4th in Kensington!

Corbynite excuses already coming in, labour never do well in Euro elections, the results arent relevant to present day. I'm sure someone will blame Tom Watson soon.

41 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Corbynite excuses already coming in, labour never do well in Euro elections, the results arent relevant to present day. I'm sure someone will blame Tom Watson soon.

Emily  thornberry (a big Jez loyalist) has some out for a second referendum.

Wales is probably the biggie as I'd say Plaid are most likely to hold these gains in a GE.

The CHUK effort appears to have been a total waste of time. Did they not have some support on here ?

Assume they’ll disappear into the Libs ?