Jump to content
Barry Fish

General News Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I dont think it has overall: its just that the accusations made are being taken seriously now, more than it used to be 

I agree things are being taken more seriously which is a positive things. However presumption of guilt is not a healthy thing. There is potential for people to lose their job, relationships etc without any investigation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

And the TERFS of course have no such list of transgender activists?

Erm ... while I think it's likely that those involved will know who the activists are, the so-called "TERFs" are not an organised group of any sort, and they don't have an anti-trans agenda.

There's only the trans agenda, that they might react to.

 

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Or have put donations to anti-trans organisations in the name of transgender activists to embarass them?

"anti-trans organisations"? Such as...?

Or are they instead just organisations who have a different point of view about how one individual's right to self-determine should impact onto others?

Perhaps I should self-determine that you give me all of your money. Are you a MERM? :P

 

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Nice to see Guido continuing to single out the young person and make her the face of the movement as well. 

Care to name another trans activist who is attempting to run for Parliament?

I'd say that's that activist singling him/her/it out (soz, don't have time to research that individual's prefered term) to make him/her/it out as the face of the movement.

I'm guessing that if Lily never gets elected you'll say it's cos of trans hate. Likewise I guess Jez is Labour leader cos of woman-hate amongst members. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's getting a bit carried away with this part:-

"Extractive non-renewable energy sources often get more expensive as they age, by contrast."

Cos exactly the same will happen with renewables at some point. I'll guess it'll be around a scarcity or difficulty to extract of one of the materials needed.

There's always a 'boom' at the start of any new industry, as the idea takes hold and better ways of doing the basics are quickly found out. Then the 'boom' flattens out as the industry matures, and then either the technology is surpassed and made obsolete or the product gets more expensive due to a scarcity around it (which eventually makes it obsolete).

It's how it always goes. It'll be how renewables go too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ha ha ha

Farage is interviewing him on LBC at 7pm. It's almost worth tuning in to.

He's talking about regrouping and holding the country to brexit. Remind you of anyone...? :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

WOMAN KNOW YOUR PLACE

oh look, you've made it up again. :lol:

What Greer actually said was DO NOT GIVE CONSENT unless you want to. If you give consent don't whinge about it afterwards.

She's pointing out that many #metoo women are not being strong women, they're #metoo-ing because they've been weak women and they didn't ever have to be those weak women.

Greer is saying it would be better if women were strong and not weak.

While you cheer them for being weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

oh look, you've made it up again. :lol:

What Greer actually said was DO NOT GIVE CONSENT unless you want to. If you give consent don't whinge about it afterwards.

She's pointing out that many #metoo women are not being strong women, they're #metoo-ing because they've been weak women and they didn't ever have to be those weak women.

Greer is saying it would be better if women were strong and not weak.

While you cheer them for being weak.

Just say NO without any consequences in your career or private life from doing so. If you give in to the pressure, you dont deserve sympathy or recourse, because your weak and got what you deserved.

 

Gotcha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep its called having morals. I was eventually forced out of a job for standing upto a manager who was putting too much stress on a pregnant colleague (and she did eventually miscarry) 

You make your own decisions in life and you have to stand by them.

Just edited to add I'm not saying women who want to exchange sex for the good things in life are immoral. Just that you've got to decide how you want to live your life yourself and stick by it or your going to be miserable. 

Edited by lost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Just say NO without any consequences in your career or private life from doing so.

Greer was talking most-specifically about Weinberg's 'victims'. 

I could have been rich working as a rent boy in the 80s. I chose not to. ;)

Care to tell me why you're not selling your own arse right now?

 

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If you give in to the pressure, you dont deserve sympathy or recourse, because your weak and got what you deserved.

People wanted prime film roles.  Other roles for actors are available.

Greer is making the point that if no-one gave into pressure ever, then there would be no point in pressure, and that women have greater control and choices over these situations than some are currently wishing to express.

The words i've seen quoted are harsh by themselves, and yet make an accurate point. And given that Greer is currently the favourite hate figure of those who run away from debate I suspect there might have been some selective use of words to make the article everything you want it to be.

 

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Gotcha

oh you fucking echo-chamber saddo. :lol:

 

Edited by eFestivals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Greer was talking most-specifically about Weinberg's 'victims'. 

I could have been rich working as a rent boy in the 80s. I chose not to. ;)

Care to tell me why you're not selling your own arse right now?

 

People wanted prime film roles.  Other roles for actors are available.

Greer is making the point that if no-one gave into pressure ever, then there would be no point in pressure, and that women have greater control and choices over these situations than some are currently wishing to express.

The words i've seen quoted are harsh by themselves, and yet make an accurate point. And given that Greer is currently the favourite hate figure of those who run away from debate I suspect there might have been some selective use of words to make the article everything you want it to be.

 

oh you fucking echo-chamber saddo. :lol:

 

Well wesenstein has also been accused of rape. Are those victims excused from Greer's assertion of weakness? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well wesenstein has also been accused of rape. Are those victims excused from Greer's assertion of weakness?

From what i've seen myself of Greer's words it wasn't a blanket statement for all instances.

After all, it wouldn't apply to all anyway. There's numerous "I told him to fuck off and left" instances out there (and that same opportunity was available to many of those who didn't chose to leave).

(note for the hard of thinking: nothing of the above is a defence of weinstein. It's simply pointing out that women have choices, even in bad situations)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

From what i've seen myself of Greer's words it wasn't a blanket statement for all instances.

This is how I read it too. Its the ones that were fawning over him at Oscar ceremonies and the like clearly knowing the way his business worked.

Obviously we will never know the break down but I'm sure there are examples from rape all the way upto women wanting to actively participate to further their career.

If we want to talk about really helpless people I think its a pretty serious accusation made by Corey Feldman that he's been actively targeted and frozen out of metoo for wanting to expose holywood's similar casting couch culture for kids.

Edited by lost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor old Corey. That is a story that needs a spotlight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, lost said:

This is how I read it too. Its the ones that were fawning over him at Oscar ceremonies and the like clearly knowing the way his business worked.

Obviously we will never know the break down but I'm sure there are examples from rape all the way upto women wanting to actively participate to further their career.

If we want to talk about really helpless people I think its a pretty serious accusation made by Corey Feldman that he's been actively targeted and frozen out of metoo for wanting to expose holywood's similar casting couch culture for kids.

Yes if they're targeting kids that's something else.

Don't know how I feel about women being blackmailed or pressured into sex.

When I was 16 I worked in a male dominated environment. I got told off once for slapping a customer across the face for getting out of order, and he complained. I just stuck up for myself.

But these men didn't have any real power over me.

If you're talking about an abuse of power, that's not the same as the casting couch. There have been actresses that were blacklisted for not coming across, haven't there? Didn't a guy speak out and apologise for believing what someone told them that they were difficult and subsequently not hiring them, without realising it was a vindictive slur to pay them back for not shagging him?

Just now, bunique said:

Poor old Corey. That is a story that needs a spotlight. 

Agreed. he's been struggling to be heard for a long time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, lost said:

This is how I read it too. Its the ones that were fawning over him at Oscar ceremonies and the like clearly knowing the way his business worked.

Obviously we will never know the break down but I'm sure there are examples from rape all the way upto women wanting to actively participate to further their career.

If we want to talk about really helpless people I think its a pretty serious accusation made by Corey Feldman that he's been actively targeted and frozen out of metoo for wanting to expose holywood's similar casting couch culture for kids.

link? corey supports metoo and wants more support for himself and other victims. I havent seen him attack the metoo movement. he says holywood in general hasnt supported him, which i agree they should.

Edited by zahidf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, feral chile said:

. There have been actresses that were blacklisted for not coming across, haven't there? Didn't a guy speak out and apologise for believing what someone told them that they were difficult and subsequently not hiring them, without realising it was a vindictive slur to pay them back for not shagging him?

Yes that was the lord of the rings guy.

As Neil says I don't think Germain Greer is referring to everything that went on but rather the women that were acting in a way around the guy which was surprising knowing what he'd been upto and then jumped on the band wagon when it came out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair to Greer, i agree about her thoughts about a more coherent law as to rape and consent. I just think its silly for her to say how bad it is that the metoo stuff will pit woman against woman, and then she herself makes judgement calls on some of the wesenstein accusers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

link? corey supports metoo and wants more support for himself and other victims. I havent seen him attack the metoo culture. he says holywood in general hasnt supported him, which i agree they should.

There was an interview with him where he said he was blocked from attending the Oprah thing that went on recently. But google feltman calls out hollywood for not supporting claims In the midst of the MeToo movement, there are loads of them.

Edited by lost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep the people who a gave standing ovation and an Oscar to a convicted child rapist are the people who can be relied on when it comes to abuse.In Weirdwood the paedophiles lead the charge against Weinstein.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now sure how i feel about this...

Deaf mother takes legal action against Little Mix concert promoters

I fully understand why deaf people would want signing, but if it applies for that concert then surely it also applies to a paid-for gig of a man playing in the local pub?

And primarily, music is an audio event. I think it's realistic that that should be factored in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Now sure how i feel about this...

Deaf mother takes legal action against Little Mix concert promoters

I fully understand why deaf people would want signing, but if it applies for that concert then surely it also applies to a paid-for gig of a man playing in the local pub?

And primarily, music is an audio event. I think it's realistic that that should be factored in.

I dont think it will get anywhere. She was provided with an intetpreter for the main act, which is what she explicitly paid for.

In cinemas and plays, they supply interpeters/subtitles, but not for every performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...