Glasgow Summer Sessions

Stuart1000

DF are putting exclusivity clauses on all sorts of acts. Been doing it a few years now but this year its worse than ever even with acts not playing gigs this summer.

And they are holding back other events announci g with certain clauses too. Its getting ridiculous!

DF are putting exclusivity clauses on all sorts of acts. Been doing it a few years now but this year its worse than ever even with acts not playing gigs this summer.

And they are holding back other events announci g with certain clauses too. Its getting ridiculous!

RN by any chance?

They'll be playing these gigs of being at the same time as the fringe too

They are c**ts of the highest order in fleecing their so called customers and making it really difficult for other promoters in scotland to actually book acts never mind announce them.

I for one wont be giving them a penny of mine for these giga no matter who plays!

and yet if they were as bad as you suggest then it would be a breeze for another promoter to usurp them.

Which gets to mean they're not as bad as you think. You might not like what they do, but their commercial success shows that more than enough do.

and yet if they were as bad as you suggest then it would be a breeze for another promoter to usurp them.

Which gets to mean they're not as bad as you think. You might not like what they do, but their commercial success shows that more than enough do.

Not for the smaller local promoters such as PCL and CPL in Glasgow, and even the other promoters of Belladrum, Wickerman etc who just can't compete with them when DF splash the cash about.

Even a bigger backed event such as Rockness is unable to compete.

Yes they might be successful commercially, but in my opinion they are still c**ts.

Not for the smaller local promoters such as PCL and CPL in Glasgow, and even the other promoters of Belladrum, Wickerman etc who just can't compete with them when DF splash the cash about.

Even a bigger backed event such as Rockness is unable to compete.

Yes they might be successful commercially, but in my opinion they are still c**ts.

and yet if DF 'splash the cash about' but no one goes to the shows, splashing the cash doesn't work. DF succeed with what they do because people will quite happily pay out to watch what they put on.

If everyone thinks they're c**ts but still give them their money, who is to blame for the consequences of that? DF, or those punters?

If people want change they have to change what they're doing to force it. There is no other way.

Oh I know what you are getting at, people will go to see the acts they want to and fill their coffers. Still doesn't mean I agree that it's right that the are squeezing out the little guys in the scene in and around Glasgow and beyond.

Not sure everyone thinks they are c**ts, that's just my opinion on them. Being in a up and coming band in Glasgow is hard work when they (DF) play the game the way they do.

This series of gigs they have decided to put on in Glasgow will make it worse IMO.

Am hoping they flop :)

£60 to see Eminem, doors at 4pm so you will get a couple of smallish support acts I reckon and an early curfew of around 10pm in the park.

I see under 16's can go to this too.. just the sort of family event Glasgow needs with all the nutters about going to see him lol

Edited by Paul ™
  • Upvote 1

£60 to see Eminem, doors at 4pm so you will get a couple of smallish support acts I reckon and an early curfew of around 10pm in the park.

Apparently the support acts will be acts of SECC size, whether thats true or not is another matter

As for the argument altogether, how can you expect people not to pay to see acts that they want to see when they are one of the only companies providing the opportunities to see these acts whether due to monopolising or other reasons. It is bullshit but money talks and I cant see these shows flopping if they are announcing acts like Eminem as he is extremely popular

Apparently the support acts will be acts of SECC size, whether thats true or not is another matter

As for the argument altogether, how can you expect people not to pay to see acts that they want to see when they are one of the only companies providing the opportunities to see these acts whether due to monopolising or other reasons. It is bullshit but money talks and I cant see these shows flopping if they are announcing acts like Eminem as he is extremely popular

Hadn't read that about the support.

Am not expecting people to not go to see the acts, just that I won't be giving them my money.

Still some of the limited amount of pre-sale tickets available... anyone know the capacity of these gigs or is it one of the usual.. flexi-arena size gigs..

Edited by Paul ™

because people get what they act on. If someone acts stupid for selfish reasons they can't be surprised when others go along with their stupidity, can they? :lol:

If you don't want the likes of DF to exploit that monopoly then it's in your hands and no one else's. So the question is then about what you hate most - missing a band or supporting DF in doing what you hate. And your words get to show that you'd rather see a band under DF's terms than under your own.

They're not going to give it up all the while you're making them rich, are they? :lol:

Hadn't read that about the support.

Am not expecting people to not go to see the acts, just that I won't be giving them my money.

Still some of the limited amount of pre-sale tickets available... anyone know the capacity of these gigs or is it one of the usual.. flexi-arena size gigs..

That is a fair enough stance

Flexi arena i reckon :lol:

because people get what they act on. If someone acts stupid for selfish reasons they can't be surprised when others go along with their stupidity, can they? :lol:

If you don't want the likes of DF to exploit that monopoly then it's in your hands and no one else's. So the question is then about what you hate most - missing a band or supporting DF in

doing what you hate. And your words get to show that you'd rather see a band under DF's terms than under your own.

They're not going to give it up all the while you're making them rich, are they? :lol:

Honestly i dont even usually notice who is putting on a gig, if a band is playing that i want to see i will get a ticket regardless

when I heard of Glasgow Summer Sessions, it sounded like an event where there might be connect style acts announced.

But it seems the "Sessions" bit stands for getting pissed with neds in the park. Delightful, just what Scotland needed.

Going to Europe for my festival needs this year, what a difference in the cost, quality and type of music available, compared to whats available in Scotland.

I wish I lived in a Scotland where Phoenix could headline a festival - but nope, we have Rhianna and Mumford and Sons. Lovely stuff.

Honestly i dont even usually notice who is putting on a gig, if a band is playing that i want to see i will get a ticket regardless

Yeah, I second that really.

Paul listed a few other Scottish promotors earlier in a post - from my experience they may not have the cash to compete, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do the same if they had a chance as DF have done. Past experience of them and people who worked for them suggests otherwise.

Yeah, I second that really.

in which case nothing of Paul's rant bothers you, and gets to explain why DF have the domination they do.

Which was the point of my reply to Paul really. You get what you act on.

in which case nothing of Paul's rant bothers you, and gets to explain why DF have the domination they do.

Which was the point of my reply to Paul really. You get what you act on.

I think the issue with that is that the average punter wouldn't have idea how various promotors operate and whether they're good guys or bad guys. If people knew that certain promotess were shits then they could be blamed (which I think is what you're getting at) for creating the situation but unless you go looking for that sort of information it isn't something that people are aware of and choose to dismiss.

I think the issue with that is that the average punter wouldn't have idea how various promotors operate and whether they're good guys or bad guys. If people knew that certain promotess were shits then they could be blamed (which I think is what you're getting at) for creating the situation but unless you go looking for that sort of information it isn't something that people are aware of and choose to dismiss.

Some people are mindless consumers, some people aren't.

You get what you act on.