Working at the Festival (Cooks/Kitchen Assistant)

Guest Yehyeh1990

Hi all,

Has anybody ever worked at the festival before as a cook/kitchen assistant (http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/cooks-and-kitchen-assistants-needed)? I'm wondering how it all works, as it seems like it would be a really interesting experience and a good opportunity to see the festival from behind the scenes!

For example, how did people cope camping for 7 weeks? How much are you expected to work over the festival period? Is there much to do for staff between shifts?

Any info that people could provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Edited by Yehyeh1990

Ive eaten at the crew café for years but never worked in it. Looking at that you would be working 8 hour shifts. Work continues though show days. In fact if anything youll be busier on show days; the number of crew on site dramatically increases from the Tuesday before. Id say go for it; youll have a wale of a time. I love working at festivals. You see a totally different side of the show, meet some brilliant people and get to join a really strong and fun community. Ive only ever been at Glastonbury for about 12 days so have no idea what it would be like for 7 weeks but I expect they look after you.

I've only worked at Glastonbury and being part of the team is wonderful. Yes you'll have a shift on each public day (I expect) but thats part of the deal. You will have time off which you'll just have to balance out.

Your time there will be spilt between Work, Rest and Play. And if you can get the balance "just right", you'll have a cracking one.

Ian

i used to help out at in the fairs fayre cafe in croissant neuf field and i can tell you now its blinking hard work ...BUT it was great fun and me and the wife always pop in and say hi to tim and the team but wow are they busy and im glad that im not chopping onions,carrots etc and can drink my beer and wonder off.

but if you do have the chance DO IT old son

for those that dont know the area its the field where James [ jamesontheverge ]

makes these beauties .....

673171622_922a1560a3_m.jpg

and can you believe some smuk actually nicked one of these a few years back and there bloody heavy i know ive helped lift one in place ..

if you in this area pop in and say hi to james drop him a beer hes a top bloke ..

• 3 weeks later...

I've worked the past few years (not in catering though) and its always been a positive experience. Having 20 years of festival going under my belt, I can honestly say that working has really "made" the festival for me. I have met so many more people, crews always have crew parties and you can live at the festival for 2 weeks!

The area that I work in has its own crew catering (outsourced) and they always seem like they are having fun and have seen everything they wanted too.

Like others have said, if you have the chance, DO IT.

Argh, one thing though: if you are working, you really are "working" so please don't mess about/take drugs/drink while on your shift. Last time in the village (my folks live in Pilton) we had to report numerous stoned security staff who were causing more trouble than preventing it. You will get "fired," you will get kicked off the site and no you won't be asked back.