Olympic Park/Stadium shows 2013

Guest johnl

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I saw you on Saturday dude, you were with a girl with pink hair and a Green Day t-shirt?

Anyway Kasabian were excellent, as were Tribes and The Cribs. The sound quality was superb, not just compared to crappy Hyde Park but to any outdoor venue or festival I've ever been to.

On the downside it's a bitch to get to, the way the site was split into two areas (one main arena all concrete and astroturf and the other all grass but so much open space) is weird and the bar organisation was a fucking disgrace.

It was a great day but even with the promise of more bars it would take something spectacular to get me back, mainly because of the pain getting there.

I think I'm right in saying that you can only get there via Stratford tube as they close all other routes of access and marshal the route, which helps organise it but sometimes it's nice to just have a few beers in a pub beforehand and then wander up to the site from whichever angle you happen to be coming from (that was great about Hyde Park) rather then being directed from tube to site with no option of diverting or stopping on the way. Unless you fancied stopping for a beer in Westfield (which being on a sunny Saturday meant all the bars were rammed) then from the moment you get on the tube until you get to the site it's a pretty tedious trek and doesn't really get you in the mood. It was very slick but too slick in my book.

Also going to Reading so often I'm used to an urban festival but this site was surrounding by cranes and building sites, so just looked weird, especially with so much open space not utilised in the tent area. And no fags on sale on site! Not as if it's an easy walk to the nearest corner shop to stock up.

So all in all the music was great and the sound quality superb, but it seems the site doesn't quite fit what they want to do and it's an arseache to get to. Lacks the charm and accessibility of Hyde Park, although after seeing what they can do with sound at the new place I won't be going back to Hyde Park either. Puts how poor the sound is there even more into perspective.

It was a great day but even with the promise of more bars it would take something spectacular to get me back, mainly because of the pain getting there.

I think I'm right in saying that you can only get there via Stratford tube as they close all other routes of access and marshal the route, which helps organise it but sometimes it's nice to just have a few beers in a pub beforehand and then wander up to the site from whichever angle you happen to be coming from (that was great about Hyde Park) rather then being directed from tube to site with no option of diverting or stopping on the way. Unless you fancied stopping for a beer in Westfield (which being on a sunny Saturday meant all the bars were rammed) then from the moment you get on the tube until you get to the site it's a pretty tedious trek and doesn't really get you in the mood. It was very slick but too slick in my book.

Also going to Reading so often I'm used to an urban festival but this site was surrounding by cranes and building sites, so just looked weird, especially with so much open space not utilised in the tent area. And no fags on sale on site! Not as if it's an easy walk to the nearest corner shop to stock up.

So all in all the music was great and the sound quality superb, but it seems the site doesn't quite fit what they want to do and it's an arseache to get to. Lacks the charm and accessibility of Hyde Park, although after seeing what they can do with sound at the new place I won't be going back to Hyde Park either. Puts how poor the sound is there even more into perspective.

Sounds a bit weird, the site is in flux at the moment, plus part's of it not open! I thought it would have been down the stadium end rather than that area. (Maybe it's cos that parts not opening until next year..)

Anyway eventually they have to adjust where the stage is as that part is marked as for housing I believe!. (I guess they might just put the main stage in the stadium and have the other tents round the park?)

Edited by LondonTom

Can anyone tell me what the beer and food are? I see Tuborg are involved so presumably that's the lager. Any ale? Any interesting food concessions? I'm asking because we're wondering whether to eat in Westfield before instead.

Yeah the only beer is Tuborg. I think the cider was Sommersby. No ales, although there was a wine bar.

There's some interesting takes on standard festival food in the area by the tents - pulled pork sandwiches, top quality sausages/hot dogs, a nice Italian vendor, stonebaked pizzas, fish dogs - although when you got into the main stage area it was the standard dogburgers, greasy noodles and sugary doughnuts.

Edited by mrtourette

Yeah the only beer is Tuborg. I think the cider was Sommersby. No ales, although there was a wine bar.

There's some interesting takes on standard festival food in the area by the tents - pulled pork sandwiches, top quality sausages/hot dogs, a nice Italian vendor, stonebaked pizzas, fish dogs - although when you got into the main stage area it was the standard dogburgers, greasy noodles and sugary doughnuts.