The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

So have finally made the big plunge, Lovely Project Essential turntable delivered and about to be setup, folks record collection inherited, room cleared, ready to rock and roll.

Have committed to buying one record a week minimum.

So, shoot - Recommendations? Versions of albums to avoid/embrace? News on remasters etc?

The new Neil Young remasters are exceptional, making all others redundant. Remastered from analogue. After The Goldrush is absolutely stunning.

We own the same record player! I very much like the sound of that one but find the design to be a bit fiddly. I guess it very much depends on your music taste, the only record I can say everyone should own is Tango in the night by Fleetwood mac, and Rumours is to be reissued this year I believe?

We own the same record player! I very much like the sound of that one but find the design to be a bit fiddly. I guess it very much depends on your music taste, the only record I can say everyone should own is Tango in the night by Fleetwood mac, and Rumours is to be reissued this year I believe?

Ah cool! Yeah it doesn't seem the easiest but its a pain I'm willing to embrace for the sound.

Yeah Rumours released next week on Rhino.

This may be sacriledge to the vinyl lovers but I'm thinking of investing in one of the turntables where you can play vinyl and automatically convert the output to MP3 so that I can recreate my extensive vinyl collection onto CD.

The reason is that I play a lot of music on my car CD player and on my computer and also occasionally make CDs for friends.

Anyone got any experience of these or any advice?

PS My computer isn't in the same room as my hi-fi so I couldn't just play from vinyl onto the computer to convert.

Edited by grumpyhack

Transferring some vinyl to digital, and the time it took, is what lead me to 'helping myself' to files on the net

not sure about the dubious justification I give myself for it, but I figured there's no way I'm going to pay for the same album again, I've already paid for it once....

You're right.

Most new vinyl now comes with a free MP3 download too

Lots of pop and hiss from a recent copy of the re-released Ziggy - prompted me to bring it back. Do others do this or is there a general acceptance/blame on your equipment? Assistant in the record store was a bit arsey about it to be honest. Seemed like that hadnt happened much to him?!

Recent (cheapo) copy of Dust by Screaming Trees is as warped as a MF aswell. Havent brought that back as I can't be arsed but Ziggy cheesed me right off. That was €29.

Lots of pop and hiss from a recent copy of the re-released Ziggy - prompted me to bring it back.

Weird chief. Presume you're talking about the 40th anniversary reissue?

I've a load of standards to pick up, this being one of them so have been researching today and read about Ziggy. You're not alone it seems. Punters complaining about the growl being taken out of Ronsons guitar etc.

Yep. It deffo happens, but the chap in Tower Wicklow street grunted at me like it was a query he hadnt heard before.

"This copy is popping and hissing like a mother chief. Can I swap it?"

"Huh? Popping and... what did you say?"

"Hissing. The thing is unplayable."

"Uhhhh. I'll get you a credit note for the store then dude."

Most new vinyl now comes with a free MP3 download too

Yep! I've seen alot of new releases advertising this.. especially boxsets, that's made me grab this Joy Formidable box set:

f99d7b0264d411e2aaa822000a1fb0dd_7.jpg

I've got the Biffy boxset coming on Monday but that comes with the CD anyway :P

I've got a couple of other bits from fanclubs/signings etc. but no turntable atm (Don't really have the space in the bedroom and for some reason my dad went on mad rampage a couple of years ago and through out most of his vinyl and record player :P). So never really seriously brought anything, but one day when i move out!!! :P Kind of looking at some of way hooking it up to my pc speakers though.

(Yeah nowhere near as cool as the stuff in some of your collections :D)

Edited by LondonTom

I've got quite a few signed LP's actually...

Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future, what a coo thats turned out to be!

Courteeners - St. Jude, Falcon, Electric Lick and Anna next week

White Lies - Ritual and whatever the other one is called

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle and Only Revolutions

Spector - Enjoy it Whilst It Lasts

and of course who can forget...

Frank Turner - Sleep Is For The Week, Love Ire & Song, England Keep My Bones, The First Three Years, Campfire Punkrock EP, I Still Believe EP, Try This At Home EP, Buddies (signed by Tim Barry too), Poetry Of The Deed.

Legendary.

I have about 75 Vinyls now, some i won't play purely cause they hold too much sentimental value i.e. frank ones, which has seen me buy duplicates!

vinyl is the right format to listen to music...I still own and play records I bought as a teenager in the late 70s. If it's cared for half decently, vinyl will sound good for as long as you live to enjoy it and, through half decent equipment, will give you a more faithful sonic picture than any digital format ever will.

I hardly ever buy music on CD now - I'll get it only if a vinyl version isnt available

As for recommendations, buy the 180g remaster of Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden...it's majestic :)

Why? It's a great album, much better than Colour of Spring, although I've not heard the 2011 vinyl repress

The vinyl repress from Ba Da Bing is from the CD. I ain't heard it on the orig '91 pressing.

Both CoS and SoE were rewaxed from masters - not from the CD.

- - -

Maybe I'm that rare Talk Talk fan that prefers Colour of Spring to both Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. Its a more linear listening experience but Ive always just really loved it. My 1986 pressing is one of my most listened to records.

what about the reissue last year on Back to Black?

http://www.discogs.com/Talk-Talk-Laughing-Stock/release/3145351

This is the one I have. Don't think I saw one of the "Back to Black" labels on it. Seems odd that there would be two repressings in the same year. Talk Talk's label/business dealings never the most straightforward though, eh? Nothing surprises me about them.

http://www.discogs.com/Talk-Talk-Laughing-Stock/release/3145351

This is the one I have. Don't think I saw one of the "Back to Black" labels on it. Seems odd that there would be two repressings in the same year. Talk Talk's label/business dealings never the most straightforward though, eh? Nothing surprises me about them.

The Back to Black pressing was released in August 2012, the BDB one the year before. I'm guessing they are the same pressing, but not certain...