The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I've got everything I want on order, will (hopefully) pick some of it up tomorrow, some of it next time I'm back in the UK, but I popped into one of the shops here at lunchtime and picked up that Lou Reed Album and the SF Nuggets compilation. And got a free RSD tote bag, which kept Mrs Mardy happy. 

Those compilations are so good. Solid from start to finish.

19 hours ago, Dan R said:

Can't stand the place, most miserable record store I've ever been in. Plenty of better places around now.

I’ve been to 3B and Dig. Dig is a nice little store. V well ran.

The two lads behind the desk in Probe are Jim Henson characters I’m convinced of it.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I’ve been to 3B and Dig. Dig is a nice little store. V well ran.

The two lads behind the desk in Probe are Jim Henson characters I’m convinced of it.

Yeah, Dig is great. We went on there after going through what was left of the RSD stuff.

I swerved the queues at the weekend but I'll stop by Sister Ray and Reckless on the way home from work to see if anything is left, one thing I I've learned from the past is stores get a healthy level of vinyls restocked during the week.

I fancy the Bingo Hand Job at Borderlines LP but that's about it really, although not spent that much time looking at the list. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone watched the Rolling Thunder documentary released yesterday on Netflix? I've watched half so far, really like it, and nice to see Dylan with humour in an interview. I got the CDs recent too. OK, it's not vinyl, but there were more songs on the CDs.

30 minutes ago, carlosj said:

Anyone watched the Rolling Thunder documentary released yesterday on Netflix? I've watched half so far, really like it, and nice to see Dylan with humour in an interview. I got the CDs recent too. OK, it's not vinyl, but there were more songs on the CDs.

Thought it was great. right up there with No Direction Home.

Best to read this once you are finished watching..

Edited by When Jokers Attack

2 hours ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Thanks, that actually makes it better as a film, cheers!

12 hours ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Yeah the "story" is part of the fun. I loved it. Some of the performances were mind blowing. Maybe his best live era. The ISIS performance in particular. Wow. Bob as funny and laconic as ever in the interviews.

Loved the bit where he was asked about fans expectations and finished with "who gives a shit?". Sums it up.

Anyway, this may be purchased.

The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revue

Edited by The Nal

On 6/8/2019 at 4:28 PM, Gnomicide said:

Decent sale on at HMV this week. Amongst some other stuff I got the re-issue of Beggars Banquet reduced from £41 to £20. 

Had to leave before I spent more money.

Went in to Fopp in Covent Garden the other day, some good bargains to be had.

They also seemed to have their own version of Record Store Day - They reissued 1000 copies on red vinyl Rolling Stones Sweet Summer Sun LP from their performance in Hyde Park and managed to get myself a copy, been after that for a while but sells for decent money everywhere else I have seen it. 

Edited by Chef

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have amassed a decent collection of vinyls despite not owning a turntable myself so they sit in my parents house and get an play once or twice a year on my Da's turntable. Now I have more space in the new place I need to get myself a proper setup for here so any advice on a good turntable and amp, hopefully reasonable priced? I'd also take recommendations on decent speakers if anyone has some, I could do with an upgrade anyway.

• 1 year later...

Any experts out there? I have a Numark TT1520 but doubt that's relevant, I put a  new cartridge on it and there is a humming noise which gets louder as it nears the centre of the record, put the old one back on and it doesn't happen, any ideas or shit cartridge? 

On 8/2/2020 at 6:33 PM, mph said:

Any experts out there? I have a Numark TT1520 but doubt that's relevant, I put a  new cartridge on it and there is a humming noise which gets louder as it nears the centre of the record, put the old one back on and it doesn't happen, any ideas or shit cartridge? 

Sounds like a groundwire/earthing issue.