The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

I got a question for you vinyl heads. Do you organise your collection and if so, how? I don’t like the idea of alphabetical order, but i’m at the stage now where if i want to listen to anything specific, it takes me ages to find it. Currently, it’s sort of vaguely chronological from when i bought it, with the older stuff on shelves and the newer/recently listened to in piles in front of that, but i’m finding it increasingly frustrating. Am i going to have to bite the bullet and do it alphabetically? How do you do yours?

1279183D-37C6-4329-B35C-7F63B8D157B2.thumb.jpeg.0d9e5450eb3f09fa1c98b7055711df0f.jpeg823095BE-1463-4655-A763-108B080BB6F0.thumb.jpeg.bcdde0220ffddb499e389ead5ce4f205.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Mardy said:

How do you do yours?

Ads by Kiosked

Broad-ish genres. 6 or 7 genres I think. I got a load of laminate floor "samples" from Homebase that are about 14 inches long and I use them as dividers with the genre written on the exposed couple of inches. Blues, electro, classical, folk, rock, soul and so on. Works fairly well. Nothing I can't find within a minute or two. 

Think I've a section just for the Beatles and The Stones as I've so many of them. You may need similar for your "earnest singer/songwriter" section!

Mine are grouped by artist with each artist's work organised chronologically, then artists are organised chronologically by their earliest release I own. It's a wonderful system, when you buy an album earlier than all the others you own for that artist you have to do this big shuffle around. Let's not pretend we're not in this game so we can pick up loads of records and take them on and off the shelves.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Negative. Looks an exhausting listen on wax. Too much swapping around. 

2 intros and 2 songs per side isn't it? Bollocks to that.

I've got the Live At Hammersmith 4 LP set, I'm knackered by the time that's over but at least it was only £20.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

2 intros and 2 songs per side isn't it? Bollocks to that.

I've got the Live At Hammersmith 4 LP set, I'm knackered by the time that's over but at least it was only £20.

Most recent ‘Dead set I picked up is 6 slabs o’wax. Shattered after it.

12 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Most recent ‘Dead set I picked up is 6 slabs o’wax. Shattered after it.

That's kind of what I figured, 4 x LP seems excessive but sadly seems to be a common thing now to eek out 'special releases' 

46 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Boring stories of glory days

Don't disagree entirely but I do like the versions of the music he performs. 

I still have record tokens to use and want to buy something a bit more expensive, box set or the like, that I wouldn't necessary pay for normally. The White Album anniversary edition is still out in the lead. 

12 minutes ago, Chef said:

That's kind of what I figured, 4 x LP seems excessive but sadly seems to be a common thing now to eek out 'special releases' 

Don't disagree entirely but I do like the versions of the music he performs. 

I still have record tokens to use and want to buy something a bit more expensive, box set or the like, that I wouldn't necessary pay for normally. The White Album anniversary edition is still out in the lead. 

Yeah a Boss unplugged sort of thing with an intro to the songs would've done. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, oneeye said:

National record store day today; use 'em or lose 'em ??

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/home/

Record Store day, the only day of the year that I would never go vinyl hunting.

I have found though, if you support your local record shop all year round, they will happily keep stuff you want to one side and you can swerve the trophy hunters.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Record Store day, the only day of the year that I would never go vinyl hunting.

I have found though, if you support your local record shop all year round, they will happily keep stuff you want to one side and you can swerve the trophy hunters.

Good for you 

I've got everything I want on order, will (hopefully) pick some of it up tomorrow, some of it next time I'm back in the UK, but I popped into one of the shops here at lunchtime and picked up that Lou Reed Album and the SF Nuggets compilation. And got a free RSD tote bag, which kept Mrs Mardy happy.