The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

22 hours ago, Mardy said:

Still breaking my speakers in, but they’re a smashing bit of kit, especially as they’re so heavily discounted at the moment. For the price, they’re a fucking steal. 

Always fascinated by your fetish for speakers. The ones you just bought look like something from Spinal Tap.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Always fascinated by your fetish for speakers. The ones you just bought look like something from Spinal Tap.

This is always the dream. Might need a bigger flat, mind.

F7AC23B1-686F-4E94-9432-A8D95D146ECD.thumb.jpeg.ee8febb0aa6413d8769edc07bedf8be9.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 9:04 AM, Gnomicide said:

I got three in this sale, a Frank Turner picture disc and 2 Cougar/Mellancamp efforts, all £6 each. Took a while to turn up because one was not in stock, which is a bit odd for a sale item.

Anyway, one of them (Melancamp's excellent Lonesome Jubilee) was a little odd. 1 st play it jumped all over the place, I couldn't see any scratches, marks, paper etc. For some reason I persisted and tried again, it still jumped but not as much. Kept trying and now it's fine, never had that happen before. Any ideas? Is it little bits of vinyl stuck in the grooves?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was in a 2nd hand record shop yesterday, other bloke in there was clearly impressed with the song that was playing as he went to ask who it was. I can't remember who it was but they told him, then said it was the shop owners copy and wasn't for sale. And no, they didn't have any other copies.

htra238_vv098_h.jpg  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 4:13 PM, Mardy said:

Interesting Gnomicide, I was thinking about replacing my stylus but I've got a bit of spare cash, so might upgrade my system. Thinking of getting the Rega Planar 3 as a turntable and a pair of Q acoustics 3050 speakers.

I reckon I'm on safe ground with the turntable, but anyone got any experience of those speakers? The reviews are really good, but as ever, I'd trust you lot more.

Best speakers you can get old son are VOID..

Check then out old son..

That's what we use down here if we have anything on.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up Kicking Against The Pricks at a market in Cologne today. I went in looking for some Can, as a fitting thing to buy being in Cologne. When there was no Can worth buying I fell back on Nick Cave, because Blixa is German so there's still some tentative fit there. Still don't have my stereo set up and working though.

• 4 weeks later...

There’s nothing great in Bratislava, or at least notbhat i know off. If you’re right in the centre, Dr Horak, and further out, ArtForum used to be alright. Can’t really vouch for them, as it’s a while since i lived there

as ever, https://www.vinylhub.com/ is your friend

Edited by Mardy

• 3 weeks later...

So Mrs Chef (and probably my neighbours) are fed up of my late night vinyl listening. Does anyone have recommendations of the best way I can set up listening to my turntable with headphones? 

As ever with these things, multiple options online and not sure best way to go. 

11 hours ago, Chef said:

So Mrs Chef (and probably my neighbours) are fed up of my late night vinyl listening. Does anyone have recommendations of the best way I can set up listening to my turntable with headphones? 

As ever with these things, multiple options online and not sure best way to go. 

Plug a set of headphones into yer amp?

• 3 weeks later...

Parents decided time to get rid of their vinyl as no longer listen to them. Now proud owner of 30 odd elvis lps, few cliff Richard (which I intend to offload), roy Orbison, fats domino. Then we come to a signed copy of the wurzels greatest hits and a cannon and ball lp! 

Also some random 12" mixed by George Clinton...I have no idea how funk got in to their collection and neither do they. 

7"s to be sorted next.

Went to a record fair at the weekend and picked up a few picture discs which is what I've started collecting.

Edited by slash's hat

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2019 at 2:39 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Guys really live in apartments like this and don't see any issue

Crosley+feet.jpg?format=750w

Are they standing on the sofa so that they don't make the needle jump?

That's one of my memories of vinyl as a kid.  Don't have too much fun listening to your music or you'll ruin that beloved track forever.

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you need to get yourself a better house, one that's not built of sponge. :P 

Those were 70s houses, plenty of space but made by cowboys, although to be honest having read the experience of folk who live not far from me in new Crest places that's yet another area of life that hasn't necessarily progressed as much as one would hope :)