The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

11 minutes ago, A-Rob said:

Hi guys, I'm new to the Vinyl  world so I need some advice. I'm interested in buying a Vinyl player, ideally plug and play. I was looking for one that I can connect with my Bluetooth speaker. However some told me that the sound would not be the best, so do you recommend I go for this type of player will it have a good quality sound ? Or I set up a speaker system solely for the Vinyl player.

Moreover any recommendations for good Vinyl Players ?     

Depends on budget but I would recommend going all in. No point getting a decent turntable and average speakers. Or vice versa. 

I have a Project Essential with Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 speakers and a Marantz P5005 amp which I have also hooked up to the Sky box and the PC. Have had the Xbox etc playing through it too. Chromecast means you can use Spotify on it too. Plenty of inputs. 

Would recommend looking at it that way if possible -  a whole new sound system for your room/house as opposed to just a vinyl player. 

21 hours ago, The Nal said:

Depends on budget but I would recommend going all in. No point getting a decent turntable and average speakers. Or vice versa. 

I have a Project Essential with Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 speakers and a Marantz P5005 amp which I have also hooked up to the Sky box and the PC. Have had the Xbox etc playing through it too. Chromecast means you can use Spotify on it too. Plenty of inputs. 

Would recommend looking at it that way if possible -  a whole new sound system for your room/house as opposed to just a vinyl player. 

Thanks Nal for advice.

To be honest I didn't plan to spend much especially on the sound system. The turntable looks great, I was thinking of a budget of around £150

2nd hand market pretty good for set of speakers and turntables.

Here's two numark decks and a mixer for 90 blipps for example...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/decks-turntables/numark-turntables-and-kam-mixer-/1257187756

A modern amp will offer functionality and flexibility here however - agree with Nal. I also have a similar Marantz amp and have had no issues.

Edited by Wooderson

Yeah, agree that you're much better off buying separates rather than an all in one Crosley or similar.

Keep an eye out for 2nd hand stuff online and in charity shops (check condition first obviously), you can always buy cheapish bits now and upgrade as and when you want to/can afford to. You get more enjoyment out of each upgrade doing it that way too, it's nice to add a new component and really hear the difference compared to what you had before, even with cheap stuff.  

• 2 weeks later...

Weighing up getting some new speakers, any recommendations in the sub £200 range?

Not really up with the technical gubbins, my amp's power is 2 x 100 (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz) and the speakers I'm currently mulling over Cambridge SX60s are also 100w and 8 ohms, is this ok or do I need to go higher?

19 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Weighing up getting some new speakers, any recommendations in the sub £200 range?

Not really up with the technical gubbins, my amp's power is 2 x 100 (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz) and the speakers I'm currently mulling over Cambridge SX60s are also 100w and 8 ohms, is this ok or do I need to go higher?

Only need to go higher if you hate your neighbours. 

Only decent speakers I've ever bought are Wharfdale 9.1s. £99. I'd buy them again. 

Although @Mardy bought some monster Wharfdales recently I think?

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Only decent speakers I've ever bought are Wharfdale 9.1s. £99. I'd buy them again. 

Cheers Nal. I looked at the Wharfdales, I think them being that cheap sort of put me off, daft as that sounds. You'd recommend them then?

I don't want anything massive, they're in the living room and I need to keep the Mrs happy with nothing she'd consider ugly. Another plus point for the 9.1s I guess. 

41 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Cheers Nal. I looked at the Wharfdales, I think them being that cheap sort of put me off, daft as that sounds. You'd recommend them then?

I don't want anything massive, they're in the living room and I need to keep the Mrs happy with nothing she'd consider ugly. Another plus point for the 9.1s I guess. 

Same as myself, lovely sound when they're on low volume. I've them hooked up to the telly.

Only speakers I've ever bought but I'm happy with them yeah. Check out some of the reviews to see if they meet your specs. 

You can get them in brown.

100923_2_.jpg

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

I've got Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s here in the UK and they work a treat, with a Rega turntable and a marantz amp. Think they were around the 150 quid mark when I bought them 5 or 6 years ago. Absolutely no complaints, they sound lovely

BoughtIMG_0282.thumb.JPG.20b16f8e2e1bcfacc71bdb0d70712557.JPG a pair of wharfedale 240s in Moscow cos they were a stupidly good price after the rouble crashed. They're phenomenal, despite looking like they should be banned under the nuclear non-proliferation treaty. Would love a pair for here too, but they're 500 quid or so (picked them up for about half that in Moscow)

Edited by Mardy

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

You can get them in brown.

100923_2_.jpg

Yeah, fancy those. 25th (!) wedding anniversary coming up, I think 25 is speaker. 

@Mardy- I saw a pic of your Russia speakers, don't think I'd get away with them, not if I want to make it to 26 years.

20170809_210114.thumb.jpg.0f3e6e6dc4b967d6082489c02f12972e.jpgUh oh. Speakers arriving tomorrow, also went shopping. 

Spotted the Trust lp which had no price tag, on the wall it said "Yellow sticker, no price - 4 for £1"

Picked out the Frankie Miller and Shirley Bassey, couldn't find a forth that was worth the effort in bringing home :)

Edited by Gnomicide

10 hours ago, Wooderson said:

What speeks did you go with? Kef50's? Neighbors gonna get one.

I went for the Wharfdale 9.1s in the end. Did a lot of reading up and I don't think I'd get anything better without breaking my £200 budget. Not many others in this price range that you can bi-wire either. They're arriving today, I'll report back later.

Edited by Gnomicide

Does anyone else use discogs to keep a record of what they've got? A couple of times I've bought something, only to get home to find I've already got it. I've got most (but not all) of my collection in Discogs. Before I fully commit, is there anything better out there to do the same thing?

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Does anyone else use discogs to keep a record of what they've got? A couple of times I've bought something, only to get home to find I've already got it. I've got most (but not all) of my collection in Discogs. Before I fully commit, is there anything better out there to do the same thing?

I've all the wax on there.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I've all the wax on there.

Yeah, that's all I'm looking to do really, just my records. Still undecided what to do with the CDs stuck behind the door in the spare room. 

https://www.discogs.com/user/Mardy23/collection?page=1&sort=artist%2Casc&folder=0&limit=25

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, that's all I'm looking to do really, just my records. Still undecided what to do with the CDs stuck behind the door in the spare room. 

https://www.discogs.com/user/Mardy23/collection?page=1&sort=artist%2Casc&folder=0&limit=25

You bastard, Mardy. I started on mine a while back and got bored. Now you've got me back at it again. I hadn't even considered doing the CDs until now. 

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

You bastard, Mardy. I started on mine a while back and got bored. Now you've got me back at it again. I hadn't even considered doing the CDs until now. 

Sorry bud. Not going to do my cds, never listen to them and definitely not going to buy any more. Its just sometimes i'm flipping through records in a shop and i can't remember if i've got it or not, that's the only reason for doing this. Especially cos some things are in the uk, some are in russia.

On 8/19/2017 at 5:02 PM, Mardy said:

Had the same issue. Put all of mine on discogs and had no problem since. I just look it up on my phone, not only tells me if I already have it but if I don't it tells me what it's worth so I don't overpay. If you have a decent phone and grip on technology then you can setup the scanning option and just scan your barcodes straight into your discogs collection.

I'm a fan and found nothing better.

• Upvote 1

Picked up new Kelly Lee Owens and This Is The Kit (signed!) and last year's Melt Yourself Down at Green Man. Would've picked up The Band's The Last Waltz, Neil + Crazy Horse's Live Rust, and There Goes Rhymin Simon from the vintage shop across the way also, but I was all spent out. 

How many records do you peeps have in your collection then? And how many do you currently purchase a month? 

I'm relatively new to the world of vinyl and have been slowly growing the collection for 18 months. Up to about 40-50 odd now, a mixture of bought and inherited. 

Trying to add 2-4 new ones per month. Totally in love with going to record shops now, makes me feel like I'm 14 years old and looking at CDs in Our Price!