The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

On 2/27/2017 at 9:56 AM, Fred Zepplin said:

I'm off to Japan in April and had a look online at record shops and it looks like some of them are huge, could spend a week just in there. Has anyone been there before and know of anywhere I should try?

Never been to Japan, but I read about a cool record store in the Rough Trade mag a few months ago. I'll try and dig it out and get back to you.

On 02/03/2017 at 8:54 AM, mungo57 said:

loving ebay for vinyl at the minute - got a decent copy of Joshua Tree by U2 for about £8 including postage that came yesterday and White Album by the Beatles for £2 - cost twice that to post it!

Any particular sellers you use? I'm always a bit wary of buying vinyl from ebay , particularly used records which can be of really poor quality.

20 hours ago, zero000 said:

Any particular sellers you use? I'm always a bit wary of buying vinyl from ebay , particularly used records which can be of really poor quality.

Nah just random.

If it's not as described described you can complain and get a refund, if the seller does not oblige then you're covered by PayPal ts and cs anyhow so your money isn't too at risk.

On 24/02/2017 at 11:14 AM, Wooderson said:

1210M3D's Easty? They look marvellous mate. Princely sum one would imagine.

£950 mate. The price of them is going through the roof. Any higher and I just would not be able to afford a decent pair, hence why I have bitten the bullet now. 

I have even been booked for a couple of gigs, which is a bit of a problem considering that I have been awful on them since wiring them up.

It feels good to have a pair of decks set up again though.

went and spun a few records I bought right early on in my vinyl-buying lifetime today; Moon Pix by Cat power and Let It Bleed by The Rolling Stones. Both amazing records that haven't been listened to in a while, made for a very relaxing Sunday, and an enjoyable distraction while I force myself to not let my every waking hour be spent picking mushrooms in Hyrule. I've got Splendor & Misery by Clipping on now, also a peach. Ordered a new belt today, the existing one keeps slipping off every one in a while, I'm knocking that shit on the head. Doesn't seem to affect the speed or anything at the moment, but I've decided it's going no further.

My turntable is one of these lads,NAD 5120
nad-5120.jpg

Peep that flat tonearm, groovy!

I put a Shure M97xE cartridge on it, whatever was on when I got it was buggered.

Berlin is a great spot for vinyl. New and old. Picked up Station to Station and Dirty Work by The Stones at a fleamarket. Both lovely.

Also finally spent a bit of time in Spacehall. One of the great record shops. Got a bit of Miles Davis, Prodigy, Neil Young.

web1.jpg

Space_Hall-IMG_0017-2-1024x683.jpg

Edited by The Nal

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2017 at 6:27 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Picked a second hand copy of j j cale's okie up the other day. Was a bit of a risk as though I like what I've heard of his I don't actually know that much but it sounds great. Only a fiver too (so not that big a risk.)

That's a right fucking touch there, scruffs. Lovely record, I paid an arm and a leg for it. Worth every penny, mind, it's a smashing album, and yet another one I owe @wooderson for turning me on to.

On 05/03/2017 at 10:47 AM, Wooderson said:

I've a beat up pair of MKIIs that cost me €500 a few years ago. Absolutely adore them mate.

On 05/03/2017 at 3:11 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Mine were roughly same price. Sold one for 250 quid so the one I've got cost me about 200 all in all. 

They are absolute war horses and the 5 ton I spent on my old md3s nearly 15 years ago, is the best money I have ever spent. They were absolutely battered and had been gigged to death though. If they had been 10 x as expensive, I would have still got my money's worth out of them.

Had to bite the bullet though and I am glad that I did. The new ones will never leave the spare bedroom and I will hopefully never have to buy another pair.

It's nice to get back on the decks. It is fair to say that I am no longer any cop at it, yet even though the mixes are a lot dodgier than they once were, the smile is just as wide.

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Mrs scruff surprised me with an original blue Valentine which is sounding mint! Nothing wrong with good reissues but I still maintain that the vast majority of originals have an added something

Having said that my reissue of psychocandy has just turned up ready for me going to see them next week. 

That just made me think of dj's turning up with bootlegs or knights of the turntables for some reason. The shame of playing bootlegs lol

10 minutes ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Ha some tunes there mate Area 51 was a classic all though I think there would of been a more up tempo piano version big Zone tune if I remember rightly! 

You into the old Zone stuff mate? I was more into the Piano stuff than the synthy stuff back in the day. 

8 minutes ago, Mardy said:

hehehe, Just in a junk shop in Moscow, saw this. Had to buy it honour of @eastynh

6E9QfnyIRau4oOesgUlGjw_thumb_1fd4.thumb.jpg.f7104b64a7ffb0b7fda747d35c1a0cd6.jpg

I seen him dj last year, he was absolutely terrible. Do you remember his band, the Dust Junky's? They had a could of decent tunes. Tunes splits the atom is a stone cold classic though.