The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

All English records? Brexit.

Are we calling Nirvana British? :P 

It's impossible to choose only 16 between two people. I can't even do it for myself. I would love to add all of the ones on below either for how much I love them now, or how much they meant to me at one point. Still mostly Brexit though.

Pulp - Different Class

The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars*

Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish

Suede - Dog Man Star

The Libertines - Up The Bracket*

New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

The Beatles - White Album

The Clash - London Calling

The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

The Strokes - Is This It.

*Prefer them albums to Aladdin Sane and Libertines self titled album, which I currently have up.

Edited by Alan_C

Nothing wrong with having the horn for the music that was being made in your neck of the woods around the time you were in your teens and 20s (plus the odd classic). But to play devil's advocate; you appalling xenophobe.

Actual on-thread business here. I found a loophole in my "no vinyl until the new year" rule and pre-ordered the upcoming LC! album, released in February. I've also pre-ordered upcoming vinyl pressing of 65dos' Destruction of Small Ideas, which should drop later this month. However if it takes even half the time it took for the No Man's Sky soundtrack to actually materialise, that'll be in the new year as well.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't listened to vinyl since upgrading my amp this summer,my old Rotel amp just kept on cutting out so after much reading I thought I'd go for a Yamaha av reciever,boy how things have changed,what a great bit of kit,bluetooth,spotify,internet radio and dolby surround sound blah blah blah,anyway I got it for less than half the original price as the next model was coming out,the only trouble is it doesn't have a phono stage so today I finally got round to buying a pre amp ( funnily enough that's the only difference in the latest model,it has a phono stage),so what I bought was a Cambridge azur pre amp and also Ennio Morricone 60 years of music Lp and  an old copy of  Woodstock for twelve quid,anyhoo gave Ennio a listen and apart from being a great album the sound just far suppases what what I've been used to,even the theme to The Mission which normally sounds cheesey to me was good, I should've upgraded years ago but hey ho all sorted now,my only gripe is with my setup is is the Pro ject turntable,all though it sounds great and is far better than anything I had back in the nineties it has a belt you have to manually put round the turntable and I keep on pinging it off and  when trying to put it back on I knock off the counter weight,aghhh! I wish I'd got something else! But yeah loving getting into movie soundtracks,a friend of mine put on LOTR lp the other day and I've got to get that,although a bit samey,basically the same song for two hours,enjoyable none the less

So any other soundtracks I should listen to/recommendations?

No Star Wars,I fxxking hate star wars! :P

Edited by Thearg

14 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sorry to contradict but laughing len has just beaten him. just came here to post how you want it darker is one of the best sounding vinyls I've ever heard and saw your post. Neil young levels of audiophilia. 

Need to think on it but it may be replacing live at the cellar door as the best sounding album I own. shits on others I've raved about such as iggy, bill Ryder Jones. even black star. 

It sounds like he's sat on my window sill.

@Mardy you need to own this. 

Morning

Been very frugal recently, not bught much vinyl recently, but ordered that LC a while back, although the delivery date kept shifting. Funnily enough, it arrived at my folks yesterday. Won't get to hear it for another few weeks though, as I'm not flying back to the UK till just before Christmas.

Got a few other things waiting for me there, a Stanley Brinks record I'd been after for ages (The one that starts with 'Hi Jane'), that Arab Strap compilation and the new Ultimate Painting.

Oh, and I saw a copy of the first Grinderman album in a shop here yesterday. Might go back for it this weekend. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

just looked at the spec for that, as I've got a Marantz so was interested to see what this one has.

And it doesn't seem to have a DLNA (or similar, airplay perhaps) capability. Is that right?

Not with a dongle - Chromecast etc. I think you'd have to look at the NA series for your home setup.

Have to say the sound is fantastic, especially at lower levels as my last amp was a bit shit for that. Have it hooked up to the TV, turntable and PC. 

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:35 AM, eFestivals said:

just looked at the spec for that, as I've got a Marantz so was interested to see what this one has.

And it doesn't seem to have a DLNA (or similar, airplay perhaps) capability. Is that right?

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:22 PM, The Nal said:

Just hooked up my new Marantz PM5005 amp. Very nice. Neighbours are going to love the step up in volume.

I have this amp and I thinks its brilliant for the price. As you said its great at the lower levels when some amps seems to be all about making the sound great when really loud but when you want something soothing early on a Sunday morning and have neighbours you need decent sound at lower levels.

Got home from 14 weeks in Moscow last night, so got some stuff delivered today

lampchop - Flotus

james blake - the colour...

massive attack - protection

Bob dylan RAH concert

bon iver - 22

Fat white family - songs for my mother

can't decide what to put on first. Need a soundtrack for putting up the tree and cleaning the flat before the family arrive tonight.

Son is getting floor-standing speakers for Christmas. Up until now he's listened to all his music through headphones. Luckily, for the most part, he has pretty good taste in music so it shouldn't be too bad but he is getting a couple of Radiohead albums :(. Mother, the soundproofing!

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Son is getting floor-standing speakers for Christmas. Up until now he's listened to all his music through headphones. Luckily, for the most part, he has pretty good taste in music so it shouldn't be too bad but he is getting a couple of Radiohead albums :(. Mother, the soundproofing!

I believe this is obligatory:

1) offspring listening to radiohead through headphones

2) offspring listening to radiohead through floor standing speakers

3) Pablo Honey

• Upvote 1