The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

Is anyone in here bothering with record store day? If so, what are you planning on getting?

Is anyone in here bothering with record store day? If so, what are you planning on getting?

I'll be in the queue for opening same as last few years, yes!

I dunno how much they are but I'm tempted by the LCD Soundsystem box, Elastica and Garcia debuts and the Creedence 10".

How have the high street stores hijacked RSD? I assume you mean the major labels...and if so, I agree!

But there are still loads of independent releases that are worth getting.

I'm going to be trying for the Tru Thoughts, First Word, Wah wah 45, Brownswood ones.

24 quid for pixies new album. Scandalous.

Vinyl in general is a fucking rip off now they can't rip cd buyers off.

Yep. They can fuck right off.

Still great value though if you don't let them bend you over. My Pink Moon cost me 19 euro I think and its one of the best things I own.

Edited by The Nal

Think the "shine" has come off it a little this year. Theres not as much hype - or is it just me?

Also the releases are just a wee bit less interesting. The Garcia on white vinyl is the one I'm most keen on. There is a Jimmy Page/Black Crowes live at the Greek on red/white/clear vinyl that looks tasty aswell as a 7" of Paid In Full that'd be sweet.

Anyone know how much the LCD boxset is?

Thanfully I'm mostly going for 7" so shouldn't be too pricey.

I want these:

Darq E Freaker - Ironside (Tru Thoughts)
12". One sided splatter effect coloured vinyl in PVC sleeve
Hackney Colliery Band / Henri-Pierre Noel - All Of The Lights, Scrimshire Remix / Diskette, The Reflex Revision (Wah Wah 45s)
7"
Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip - You Will See Me (Sunday Best)
7"
Mr Thing, Tall Black Guy, Eric Lau & Kidkanevil - Nothing Leaves The House (First Word Records)
Limited to 1000 units, double 7" release - vinyl only
Quantic - You Will Return (Tru Thoughts)
7". Full colour sleeve. Exclusive audio

Think the "shine" has come off it a little this year. Theres not as much hype - or is it just me?

Its all gone a bit mainstream hasn't it? :P

I think people just can't be arsed that much, if you go to the indepdent shops anyway its not that much different apart from they might have a local band doing a small set and stuff. The actual RSD releases are mostly over priced anyway...its all a bit meh.

(I got excited one year, and brought a few 7"s online from Banquet Records, took weeks to get a responce from them over, turns out they didn't have them in stock anyway and ended up refunding me. So I am fairly jaded towards the whole affair tbf!)

Edited by LondonTom

RSD definitely needs a re-think as it's just an excuse for many people to sell-on vinyl for a profit on eBay. Reminds me of the secondary gig ticket market a few years back. The amount of items listed on eBay makes a mockery of the idea of getting punters to visit their local record store. The real collectors will have spent the day at second hand record stores and given RSD a wide berth.

I'm against the RSD exclusives generally, the artificial exclusiveness doesn't sit well with me at all, it's not about the music, it's about profiteering. Having said that, I had to battle the queues so I could get one of my all time favourite albums, Fourteen Autumns And Fifteen Winters by The Twilight Sad, as this was my only chance. I'm very happy with my record, and I hope that the other 299 of them also went to fans who will have been as over the moon as I was when they saw the bloke behind the counter flick through the shelf of exclusives and find that there was one left, not creeps who will sell them on at a hyper-inflated price on ebay. I was tempted by the LCD Soundsystem release, but a 5LP box-set for £80 is a bit too opulent isn't it?

Didn't bother with record store day either, in fact I havnt for a few years. Most people buy to put on to eBay, but the majority of the records lose their value within a few weeks/months. I'm not into reissues and the whole thing seems artificial and pointless to me.

I'm into 60s stuff so would much prefer to spend my money on original 60s vinyl than waste it on reissues.