The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

Wasn't sure where else to put this (well I said I was happy, in things your happy about thread).

But Neil Young's Pono Player has launched it's kickstarter campaign! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music

I've pledged for a signature edition (arcade fire :P), mainly as I wanted a high capacity not apple MP3 player anyway...but apparently it sounds as good as Viynl so will be intresting to see if the endorcements are true when it eventually ships!

Wasn't sure where else to put this (well I said I was happy, in things your happy about thread).

But Neil Young's Pono Player has launched it's kickstarter campaign! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music

I've pledged for a signature edition (arcade fire :P), mainly as I wanted a high capacity not apple MP3 player anyway...but apparently it sounds as good as Viynl so will be intresting to see if the endorcements are true when it eventually ships!

Massively high quality players and files are pointless when you are listening in noisy environments (on the train, walking around town etc). 95% of the time you will be listening in one of those environments.

Why? It's designed to be plugged into your car and your stereo at home as well.

I never listen to Mp3s or ipods. But I would consider one of these for home for stuff I didn't own on vinyl.

Have just realised the car probably fits into your criteria so I've deleted my point on that.

Plus wouldn't decent noise cancelling earphones negate your points?

Fair enough, but its a portable player. Anyway, I already have a Squeeze Box Touch that can play FLAC files through my stereo. For some stupid reason Logitech decided to stop making them though, so if it ever breaks, maybe the Pono is the way to go.

I am quite interested in the Pono store though. Buying FLAC files is not that easy at the moment. There are a couple of stores that sell them, but not everything I want to buy is available as a FLAC. I still buy CDs purely so I can rip them to FLACs.

I must say Pono is a stupid name though.

Interesting concept. It'll be interesting to see how it develops and what the choice of music will be like. Sadly, I don't have $400 to pledge right now, so I'll have to stick with my Brennan and my ipod.

I don't usually do RSD, but this year I'm going to make a big effort to get hold of Fourteen Autumns And Fifteen Winters, although I've accepted that I'm most probably going to have to end up paying out the nose to some bawbag on ebay for it in the end. I also wouldn't mind that 7" of The Cure and Dinosaur Jr's respective versions of Just Like Heaven, and the Wizard Of Oz OST on yellow vinyl would do very nicely, in the unlikely event I manage to get to it.

I don't usually do RSD, but this year I'm going to make a big effort to get hold of Fourteen Autumns And Fifteen Winters, although I've accepted that I'm most probably going to have to end up paying out the nose to some bawbag on ebay for it in the end. I also wouldn't mind that 7" of The Cure and Dinosaur Jr's respective versions of Just Like Heaven, and the Wizard Of Oz OST on yellow vinyl would do very nicely, in the unlikely event I manage to get to it.

I have Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters on my wantlist too.

Going to be buying a turntable hopefully this weekend. Still not sure what to get though. Rega RP1 or a Pro-Ject (Unsure which model) most likely.

Any recommendations?

I have Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters on my wantlist too.

Going to be buying a turntable hopefully this weekend. Still not sure what to get though. Rega RP1 or a Pro-Ject (Unsure which model) most likely.

Any recommendations?

Rega is considered top notch is all i know.

I've the Project Essential and its a winner for the price.

I have a technics SL1210 Mk 2 for sale. No lid or rubber mat (you can pick them up for £20 each).

Like this

Won't let me post picture - bastard - but google image one.

Perfect working ordr. I bought two as part of a mixing set, but only use one to listen to vinyl. Best sound I've ever heard. Ex display ones at Panasonic showrooms are between £600 and £800. Decent quality second hand ones go on ebay for about £300.

If you're interested you can have it for £250 plus postage/transport. If not happy, I'll take it back off you. I keep going to put it on gumtree or ebay but I'm a lazy fucker and still haven't got round to it. Stylus and cartridge included.

I have heard good things about Technics so will have a think.

Looking online for lids but can't seem to see any for £20

Times like this we need abdoujaparov back - he seemed to know about this stuff.

I would guess maybe, but I wouldn't be anywhere near confident in saying go spend 90 quid and it being on my head.

If you email the guys from that link, they'll know. Although I'm guessing you'd be better going more local if there's some techy shops round Dublin.

Sorry mate.

Yeah its an odd one. I think maybe the amp isn't powerful enough to match the speakers. But thats seems odd too. Bit of digging to be done today!

Few copies of that War on Drugs knocking around on eBay for quite cheap aswell gaffer.

I'm waiting on hearing back from an amazon seller who has it listed as limited ediiton. Messaged him to double check that its the purple one before I buy. Worst comes to worst I'll just get the standard 2LP but just fancied the coloured version.

Got everything setup now but encountered a problem.

When the turntable is playing and I turn the speakers up the louder it gets the more distorted and inaudible the sound becomes. I thought it might be because the speakers are positioned right next to the turntable so moved one of them a couple of feet away (only space I have) and the still the same outcome. Ground wire is attached so that's not the issue.

Using headphones just now and got volume up full and the sound is perfect.

Anyone got any ideas? Thought I would post on here before I go onto the audiophile part of the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently become the custodian of a near mint condition first pressing of Revolver. Very much looking forward to getting home and putting it on.

* I say custodian because my father in law's exact words were "you can be the custodian of this, I'm not giving it to you"