The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

I feel that people queue up and get records and stick them on eBay, im listened to my duran duran so much since i bought today, yet i see Macca on eBay for high amounts, i feel the shops should reward regulars and let them in 'early' because the amount of people i never see near the record shops just jump on the bandwagon cause its 'cool' and 'rare records yay'!

Bring in a Loyalty system and give people stamps over the course of the year and let them in at 9am, then let the non-regulars in afterwards

I feel that people queue up and get records and stick them on eBay, im listened to my duran duran so much since i bought today, yet i see Macca on eBay for high amounts, i feel the shops should reward regulars and let them in 'early' because the amount of people i never see near the record shops just jump on the bandwagon cause its 'cool' and 'rare records yay'!

Bring in a Loyalty system and give people stamps over the course of the year and let them in at 9am, then let the non-regulars in afterwards

The whole point of RSD should be to get people into record shops who don't go regularly, so that would completely defeat he purpose...

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know anywhere online that sells vinyl and offers free downloads with it as well?

I know a few independent record labels I buy from (ninja tune, tru thoughts etc) do this, but wondered if anyone else knew of anywhere else more general...or is Amazon (which doesnt offer autorip in the UK yet) my only option?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to treat myself. I want to spend £300.00 absolute max.

It's a toss up between a Rega RP1(with performance pack) or a Pro-ject Debut Carbon

Does anyone own either, can recommend one from the other, or know which is the better from the two ? They both seem to be fairly evenly matched and highly rated by What hifi.. the Rega 'looks' prettier but that doesn't necessary mean it will sound better..

Just not sure which one to go for? I might just flip a coin.

Edited by Wooly Mammoth

I went for the Rega in the end :)

Anyone know anywhere online that sells vinyl and offers free downloads with it as well?

I know a few independent record labels I buy from (ninja tune, tru thoughts etc) do this, but wondered if anyone else knew of anywhere else more general...or is Amazon (which doesnt offer autorip in the UK yet) my only option?

I'm also looking for this website..

Edited by Wooly Mammoth

• 1 month later...

Spend the weekend helping my Dad tidy the garage and found a chockload of old vinyl including an original copy of Sgt. Peppers with cutouts.

Right now listening to Forever Now by Psychedelic Furs, the quality compared to listening to it on a PC is unreal, loads of production elements that I didn't notice before when I was listening to the album on Spotify...

Saying that, you can get those speakers for £100 these days. That is a bargain

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/32248964/698684436/Wharfedale-Diamond-9-1-Speakers/ListingDetails.html?_$ja=tsid%3a11518|cat%3a32248964|prd%3a32248964

They are bi-wireable too if that makes any difference

Right, never got round to buying them last time but am now. Can these be floor standing?

Is it still unavailable on CD? Not that I'm bothered now I've got my finger out of my arse and sorted my turntable out, but it was a travesty it wasn't available for so long.

Yeah it was never released on CD. Doesn't like it ever will be.

Neiler has issues with a few albums from around then regarding sound quality. On the Beach too.

Edited by The Nal

Seen this.

"THE DOORS L.A. Woman 2LP 200-gram 45rpm Audiophile Vinyl Edition NEW"

Now, 180g vinyl is better than normal vinyl, therefore 200g vinyl must be even better, right? Or is that just naive and simplistic? Plus 2 LPs but 45rpm. Am I missing a trick here as never seen 200g vinyl or LPs that play at 45prm?

Roger Waters is releasing Amused To Death on 200g at some point this year. Think 200g is a quite a rare thing though is it new and slowly going to take over 180g?

Don't think the thickness has anything to do with quality really. Theres been some awful sounding 180gm and 200gm reissues. Its also more difficult to press and a lot of the time uses recycled vinyl so prone to defects. Ill hold off on jumping into it for a year or so.

Fair enough. I haven't got many, but all the 180g vinyl I have have sounded awesome, so I've just presumed it applied to all.

I thankfully haven't bought any duds myself but there have been a few high profile ones apparently.

Dunno actually. Last post 8th May. This also happened on the 8th May. Same person?

media-sir-alex-ferguson-retires-men-fron

Edited by The Nal