Aerosmith?

Guest Justiceforcedave

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I'm not sure of this, but I think he's thinking that traveling from the UK > Europe would still make taxes and visas difficult, but I'm unaware if that is a thing. 

Yes basically.

Brexit helpfully means that instead of getting paperwork that covers all EU nations including the UK, acts need to get paperwork for the EU and UK separately.

If the tour is utilising any personnel or equipment based in the UK (as has previously been common practice for acts from the US), then it becomes even more complicated as the UK is refusing to agree to a suitable reciprocal agreement for removing these barriers.

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Why would Brexit impact an American band touring Europe?

Don't the promoters / agents incorporate this into the booking fee anyway? It's not an issue for a mega bucks heritage rock band.

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

My thoughts exactly. Surely just one more visa for them? Perhaps extra costs?

Honestly, there's a hell of a lot more to it than that - if you want details then the DCMS Select Committee report on Live Music published a few days ago take s a stab at it and makes recommendations to the Government that'll almost certainly be ignored.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Sounds more like he can’t be arsed with it anymore after all the fake-out ‘last shows’ etc but the others are insistent on trooping on. 

Honestly, at the age they are, and after what the worlds been through the past 17+ months I don't blame him. 

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Honestly, there's a hell of a lot more to it than that - if you want details then the DCMS Select Committee report on Live Music published a few days ago take s a stab at it and makes recommendations to the Government that'll almost certainly be ignored.

Ignore me, just read your earlier post.

Edited by Gnomicide

• 7 months later...

Dabbed down from Graspop, apparently. According to French radio host and industry dude Zegut. Would presumably be dabbing down their whole European tour and Glastonbury as well.

While on the face of it that seems like good news, I guess it means more US acts will do the same (QOTSA inclusive), which is not good news.

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Dabbed down from Graspop, apparently. According to French radio host and industry dude Zegut. Would presumably be dabbing down their whole European tour and Glastonbury as well.

While on the face of it that seems like good news, I guess it means more US acts will do the same (QOTSA inclusive), which is not good news.

Did they suggest exactly why? I mean, the general reason is obvious but I wonder if there's hesitancy from US acts with higher production values and larger crews? The more people involved, the higher risk of disruption, greater need for paperwork, the increased logistical issues of carting themselves all over Europe, across countries with different policies etc? The latter might also lend further emphasis on acts doing one-off shows (like Kendrick) as opposed to usual tour cycles? I'm wondering if this is the reason why we've yet to really hear strong rumours of the final two headliners? Sure, Macca and Kendrick might be signed lightly in 2H but there's always the possibility that they could do similar to what Tyler and the Lads appear to have done (thinking it's just not worth the hassle, for numerous reasons), even much later into the year, hence no further announcements. I'm sure there's a cut-off for a definite commitment, though. I'm probably over-thinking it. With 144 days to go though, it's all very intriguing at this point...

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Did they suggest exactly why? I mean, the general reason is obvious but I wonder if there's hesitancy from US acts with higher production values and larger crews? The more people involved, the higher risk of disruption, greater need for paperwork, the increased logistical issues of carting themselves all over Europe, across countries with different policies etc? The latter might also lend further emphasis on acts doing one-off shows (like Kendrick) as opposed to usual tour cycles? I'm wondering if this is the reason why we've yet to really hear strong rumours of the final two headliners? Sure, Macca and Kendrick might be signed lightly in 2H but there's always the possibility that they could do similar to what Tyler and the Lads appear to have done (thinking it's just not worth the hassle, for numerous reasons), even much later into the year, hence no further announcements. I'm sure there's a cut-off for a definite commitment, though. I'm probably over-thinking it. With 144 days to go though, it's all very intriguing at this point...

*Chris Martin checks phone isn't on silent*

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Dunno. I think it was said on Zegut’s radio show rather than online (as I can’t find anything) but it was just that Graspop are looking for a replacement for Aerosmith.

I do agree it’s emblematic of a wider issue for touring bands in summer. Bruce dabbed down his tour, the only real new announcement of any major touring act this month so far has been Harry Styles who was understandably using the Coachella slot as a springboard. The Weeknd’s tour is nowhere to be seen. And January is a crucial month for touring acts making a decision according to actual festival MD’s so you’d expect more… It is definitely a worry that the two remaining headliners (or even both and Billie) dab down but the festival will go on regardless so I’m chillin.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Dunno. I think it was said on Zegut’s radio show rather than online (as I can’t find anything) but it was just that Graspop are looking for a replacement for Aerosmith.

I do agree it’s emblematic of a wider issue for touring bands in summer. Bruce dabbed down his tour, the only real new announcement of any major touring act this month so far has been Harry Styles who was understandably using the Coachella slot as a springboard. The Weeknd’s tour is nowhere to be seen. And January is a crucial month for touring acts making a decision according to actual festival MD’s so you’d expect more… It is definitely a worry that the two remaining headliners (or even both and Billie) dab down but the festival will go on regardless so I’m chillin.

I think Billie is unlikely to dab down and I think most acts will end up hitting the road, but those who haven’t dropped their dates yet will be hovering over the emergency exit button.

I think it’s more likely that they just complete the pyramid lineup for that day. If they were placed 3rd / 4th in the run they will probably loop in someone who would work in that spot.

Hard to find a like for like for a massive rock band willing to take a much lower spot than they can command.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it’s more likely that they just complete the pyramid lineup for that day. If they were placed 3rd / 4th in the run they will probably loop in someone who would work in that spot.

Hard to find a like for like for a massive rock band willing to take a much lower spot than they can command.

Point is though they don’t really need to.  Can stick Wolf Alice there for instance and nobody outside of this forum would think anything of it

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

def-leppard-vault.jpg?resize=1800,1200&w

Ah bonafide download headliners def leoppard?

Lets be real Aerosmith we’re doing this slot because they probably just wanted to play the festival. It’s not the same pitch to another band.

6 minutes ago, sisco said:

Point is though they don’t really need to.  Can stick Wolf Alice there for instance and nobody outside of this forum would think anything of it

Exactly this - It’s common to think that festivals always have to go for a like for like whenever someone pulls out, but really it doesn’t work like that. They were never announced and most attendees of the festival wouldn’t notice their omission. 

I say now it’s looking pretty good for some of the acts we know are around but struggled to place if they were playing - Wolf Alice, Megan Thee Stallion, Doja Cat etc etc. plenty of room for these acts now with an Other headliner and a big pyramid act gone. 

edit: although I think Robert plant would fit fine where Aerosmith were billed.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Ah bonafide download headliners def leoppard?

Lets be real Aerosmith we’re doing this slot because they probably just wanted to play the festival. It’s not the same pitch to another band.

Exactly this - It’s common to think that festivals always have to go for a like for like whenever someone pulls out, but really it doesn’t work like that. They were never announced and most attendees of the festival wouldn’t notice their omission. 

I say now it’s looking pretty good for some of the acts we know are around but struggled to place if they were playing - Wolf Alice, Megan Thee Stallion, Doja Cat etc etc. plenty of room for these acts now with an Other headliner and a big pyramid act gone. 

edit: although I think Robert plant would fit fine where Aerosmith were billed.

Yep. Plant isn’t a bad shout at all