"Line Up" Tedium

Guest Wooderson

Cracking original post but I think the onus is on the bands to provide the: "something different", like your example with Damon. The structure of festivals and the music industry in general has been really rigid for some time, because it needs to be easily digestible for the casual spectator. I think you can find some of the things you describe at smaller festivals that can afford to be more niche. Glastonbury needs to have a mass appeal, and for the time being, mass appeal equates to dancing on ice, Coldplay and Kate middletons womb. So as much as I'd like to see more of the likes of Gorillaz or one off supergroups formed especially for the festival, or artists given free reign to curate their own multi-media music/arts/performance stage, for the time being I can see these kinds of things being resigned solely to the likes of ATP and many other smaller festivals that are out there. If bands stick to the same two guitar/bass/drum live-show format though, then not much will ever change.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see something like acts collaborating with artists/film directors for their sets as I think it would make it more of an event. I do agree agree that Glastonbury should take more chances with the format, I was at electric picnic last year and they usually put dance acts(Orbital, Underworld ect) on the main stage after the headliners. I think this would a great idea to adopt as it brought each night close better.

• 11 months later...

STOP PRESS!

Line up for Friday in June on the Pyramid leaked

11am Tacky Covers Band

12pm Jo Whiley's husband's latest protege

30 minute gap

1.20pm Local Indie Dickheads

30 minute gap

2.30pm Shitty Female Led Pop Act

30 minute gap

3.45pm Token Shouty HipHop Act

30 minute gap

5pm Million Selling c**tballoons

30 minute gap

6.30pm Cred-Seeking News Magnet Pop Arse

30 minute gap

8pm Shouty Scotsmen Du Jour

70 minute gap

10pm Shouty Overrated US Twats.

STOP PRESS!

Line up for Friday in June on the Pyramid leaked

11am Tacky Covers Band

12pm Jo Whiley's husband's latest protege

30 minute gap

1.20pm Local Indie Dickheads

30 minute gap

2.30pm Shitty Female Led Pop Act

30 minute gap

3.45pm Token Shouty HipHop Act

30 minute gap

5pm Million Selling c**tballoons

30 minute gap

6.30pm Cred-Seeking News Magnet Pop Arse

30 minute gap

8pm Shouty Scotsmen Du Jour

70 minute gap

10pm Shouty Overrated US Twats.

Edited by Alcatraz

I was thinking about this last night and the problem is as much with us as with anyone else sometimes as what you want from a gig varies so much with your mood.

For example if by some stroke of magic prince did play on the saturday night this year would I want the hits laden/covers set that I know makes me very happy having seen it a dozen times. It has moments of brilliance but rarely transcends as I know it and even know all the banter, or would I want a prince curated evening with a lot of jazz funk noodling, janelle monae etc and a chance of a moment of pure musical 'art' for want of a better word. This is what you sometimes get at after shows of his and sometimes it doesnt work at all.

I think Glastonbury will do what it does and what the Eavii want and if we are enjoying other more experimental or more interesting experiences to us then we need to walk away and look at the South Bank or Barbican or whatever.

I don't blame the festival for having to have sure fire performances, the stakes are too high for a car crash in front of lots of people and with that comes a certain level of rehearsedness and lack of surprises.

The reason that sunday afternoon works is because it is often older performers who arent in the concert loop and come out without a backdrop to do what they do and do it well.

You can still have moments where you think you have connected with something though, it just gets more difficult as you get older as we have seen a lot of it before.

I was thinking about this last night and the problem is as much with us as with anyone else sometimes as what you want from a gig varies so much with your mood.

For example if by some stroke of magic prince did play on the saturday night this year would I want the hits laden/covers set that I know makes me very happy having seen it a dozen times. It has moments of brilliance but rarely transcends as I know it and even know all the banter, or would I want a prince curated evening with a lot of jazz funk noodling, janelle monae etc and a chance of a moment of pure musical 'art' for want of a better word. This is what you sometimes get at after shows of his and sometimes it doesnt work at all.

I think Glastonbury will do what it does and what the Eavii want and if we are enjoying other more experimental or more interesting experiences to us then we need to walk away and look at the South Bank or Barbican or whatever.

I don't blame the festival for having to have sure fire performances, the stakes are too high for a car crash in front of lots of people and with that comes a certain level of rehearsedness and lack of surprises.

The reason that sunday afternoon works is because it is often older performers who arent in the concert loop and come out without a backdrop to do what they do and do it well.

You can still have moments where you think you have connected with something though, it just gets more difficult as you get older as we have seen a lot of it before.

The list was amusing... butI don't think it's worth worrying too much about. Yes looking into it as we do pyramid line-ups can look monotonous and, when we have periods of little real news the discussion on them even more so, but most people on here don't plan on camping out at the pyramid for 3 days. This is because there are so many other stages with so many diverse things to see which means you can ensure the time you select to be at the pyramid can be truly special. You can describe them as 'well past it, rock geriatric millionaire tax evaders' if you want but i had a damn good time watching the stones. I'm sure i will at 'hipster art school graduates and pitchfork darlings' arcade fire too...

I'd love a jamming stage. Just a load of equipment set up where any of the proper performers can just rock up anytime and jam with any other performers, just on impulse from getting fucked up together back stage. It would be a total shit show in terms of any kind of format, and could be utter chaos, but could also produce some moments of magic. Would make compulsive viewing.

Probably wouldn't work at all, but would be a great experiment one year.