Greatest Albums

Guest Big Vern

On the subject of John Martyn (that is what this thread is about isn't it?)

Live at Leeds (but ignore any added tracks, it was perfect without them)

Other candidates for "must listen" albums...

Springsteen - Born To Run

Fairport Convention - Liege and Leaf

Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street

Ali Farka Toure and Ry Cooder - Talking Timbuktu

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, I can see Bradders point, but loads of the interesting music I've found has been despite concensus, not because of it.

Music which has made me jump around, weep, want to get drunk, helped me shake off a hangover, music has changed the way I look at things, most of that has come from personal recommendations.

Edited by Bradders

Very interesting topic that is almost impossible to define, but i'll give it a try, although it's going to have to be a top five amoungst propbably 20!

In no particular order :)

Radiohead - Ok computer

Steve Wonder - Songs in the key of life

Genesis- the Lamb lies down on Broadway

The Jam - All Mod cons

David Bowie - Young Americans

All taken from some point over the last 35 years of listening to music where at that time had a defining effect on me.

For me its

The Velvet Underground & Nico IMHO the greatest album of all time, with Heroin being the greatest song of all time (this is the point in the thread were Neil tells me how bad they were live tongue.png )

Years ago I bought a book from Austicks in Leeds called Rock Primer (it cost me a whole 30p) http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0140464654.

Its goes through different genres, first explaining their origins then recommending first singles then albums. The punk section starts in the 60s and this is where I read about VU. I had never heard anything by them at the time but when I read the review and it said they were the godfathers of punk, I thought sod it and went out and bought a copy. Imagine my surprise when Sunday Morning came on blink.png

I absolute adore this album biggrin.png

also from the book I discovered BB King's live at the regal, so it was the best 30p I ever spent.biggrin.png

ps

Pink Floyd's greatest album for me is Wish You Were Here

and for Nick Cave its No More Shall We Part

Hehehe, some of this is proper making me laugh. It's a music festival forum, i'm looking to expand my boundaries of music, fancy listening to something new...

The Beatles? Who? How do you spell that? What kind of music is it? Never heard of them, but i'll give them a go. Top tip, that. You've opened a whole world i never knew about. Thank goodness for the recommendation or i'd never have stumbled upon them otherwise.

(Sorry for being a sarky c**t, but y'know...really, people?)

Hehehe, some of this is proper making me laugh. It's a music festival forum, i'm looking to expand my boundaries of music, fancy listening to something new...

Yes! I know, but someone else starting it.....But his horizons might not have been that broad to begin with, perhaps he had been deaf up until last week and has only just dicovered listening to music :)

Anyway if we are being straight jacketed into obscure albums;

The Mummers : tale to tell

The Beatles? Who? How do you spell that? What kind of music is it? Never heard of them, but i'll give them a go. Top tip, that. You've opened a whole world i never knew about. Thank goodness for the recommendation or i'd never have stumbled upon them otherwise.

(Sorry for being a sarky c**t, but y'know...really, people?)

Edited by The Nal

I see Miles Davis mentioned, I explored, this one I found most to my liking, feel it must be mentioned in this thread. Leans towards rock so has a greater appeal than the pure Jazz albums.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (1969)

PS, also has the most wonderful cover art.

Edited by whisty

Someone always come on and sticks a Fall album on a thread like this.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

The Pixies - Surfa Rosa

The Fall - This Nations Saving Grace

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted

I loved the White Stripes, but don't think they made a great album, but lots of good ones.

Some of those are the type of albums you will either love or hate.

Threads/lists like this rarely interest me. Theyre bland and meandering IMO.

What is a little more interesting to me are "so called" classic records - some of which named here on this list - that people really _don't_ like, and why... Think you learn more in this format about someone and what makes them tick in expressing this specific aspect of music fandom or otherwise. Finding out that someone likes "Whats Goin' On" is a waste of time for me. Its like hearing someone likes pizza. Whats more interesting is when you hear that someone _hates_ fucking pizza. And why.

For me I always felt that the release and subsequent success of "Picture of You" caught Boyzone HQ unawares. Showed considerable nous on behalf of the record company to stick it on the US release of "A Different Beat" rather than taking the lazy option that Polydor took and delaying for it to appear on where we belong a full 18 months later.

I'd argue the other. The amount of people who haven't listened great albums by great artists, necessities I mean, is staggering. People just think "ah yeah sure I know them".

Always amazed the look you get from big music fans when, for example, In The Jungle Groove by James Brown is mentioned.

Threads/lists like this rarely interest me. Theyre bland and meandering IMO.

What is a little more interesting to me are "so called" classic records - some of which named here on this list - that people really _don't_ like, and why... Think you learn more in this format about someone and what makes them tick in expressing this specific aspect of music fandom or otherwise. Finding out that someone likes "Whats Goin' On" is a waste of time for me. Its like hearing someone likes pizza. Whats more interesting is when you hear that someone _hates_ fucking pizza. And why.

Edited by The Nal