Greatest Albums

Guest Big Vern

he's one of those artists who had a run of 3 or 4 albums that are hard to decide which is better

Bless The Weather, Soild Air, Inside Out, and some of Sunday's Child...

for many, there's no point in going for just one, or their supposed best, you need to have at least a few

I used to own every JM album, and I think they've all got excellent highlights (even the too-electronic mid/late 80s ones).

'Solid Air' as the whole thing is just a masterpiece. There's perhaps just 5 or 10 albums that i've ever heard which that can be said about I reckon (and Talking Heads don't make that list, despite them being my all-time favs).

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't like John Martyn. My friends have tried numerous times to convince me, but I just don't feel it. He's talented but its not for me or at least not at this point in my life. There was a time I never liked Paul weller.

Had a strange argument with JM in a kebab shop one night though, which was fun.

Edited by theampersanddevil

There are lots of albums that are generally considered great (I'm thinking things by Led Zep, Joy Division etc) but one of my very personal favourites is Rum, Sodomy and the Lash by the Pogues.

Its always there for me when I feel in need of a bit of argy bargy type lifting up, or something to sing along to, possibly after a couple of drinks.

Among the albums I like a lot, mood dependant:

Leftfield, Leftism

Black Grape, It's great when you're straight

Isley Brothers, 3x3

Crowded House, Woodface

Beatles, Revolver

Alabama 3, Exile on Coldharbour Lane

Stone Roses, Second Coming

Far too many others, but those are the one's I've revisited most recently!

I've been around a while, pretty much heard all the albums mentioned. Don't really go with consensus, all that really means is it's popular to me.

I'm gonna give this a shout just because I really like them and this album in particular - Pepe Deluxe - Spare Time Machine. Heard in context of the growth of this band is better but a good listen all the same.

It's fits easy into my top 100 anyway.