Greatest Albums

Guest Big Vern

So, in an attempt to broaden my musical horizons (although I am not pigeon holed in any musical style, if I like it I like it) I wondered what the most credible top 100 albums of all time list is ie Rolling Stone, NME etc.

Any suggestions as to which list is the more credible and why, would be greatly appreciated and then I shall start to work my way through it

cheers

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're going to get the same concensus pretty much whatever list you look at. Not many wildcards in there.

I reckon you'd be better off asking everyone on here to recommend one album to you. There's a prety broad mix of people here and tastes, reckon that'd be a good bet

1 album, and you can't name an album if someone else has already named it. Also preferably not a really obvious choice,

you're going to get the same concensus pretty much whatever list you look at. Not many wildcards in there.

I reckon you'd be better off asking everyone on here to recommend one album to you. There's a prety broad mix of people here and tastes, reckon that'd be a good bet

1 album, and you can't name an album if someone else has already named it. Also preferably not a really obvious choice,

I hate trying to name my favourite album - bloody impossible task. I can give you a brief short-listing and even that will have changed in an hour or so. Nevertheless, these four albums would make my top twenty every hour, every day, at least.

Henry's Dream - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Dog Man Star - Suede

Strangeways, Here We Come - The Smiths

Olympian - Gene

All fairly obvious but I'm not exactly a revolutionary!

The problem with random people just naming an album is that almost every album is at least 1 person's favourite at some point in time. Rolling Stone's top 500 is a decent starting point, was voted for by artists/journalists etc. and it's generally the closest you'll get to a consensus.

Here's a site that has agreggated scores from loads of different 'best album' lists, including the nme, VH-1, Rolling stone etc

http://www.besteveralbums.com/overall.php

Me, I can see Bradders point, but loads of the interesting music I've found has been despite concensus, not because of it.

Music which has made me jump around, weep, want to get drunk, helped me shake off a hangover, music has changed the way I look at things, most of that has come from personal recommendations.

I think it's about saying "Give this a go, you might like it, you might not. But there's a good chance you might not have heard it before" Might change your life. pretty much the best gift you can give anybody, that.

My shout: Solid Air by John Martyn.

Here's a site that has agreggated scores from loads of different 'best album' lists, including the nme, VH-1, Rolling stone etc

http://www.bestevera...com/overall.php

Me, I can see Bradders point, but loads of the interesting music I've found has been despite concensus, not because of it.

Music which has made me jump around, weep, want to get drunk, helped me shake off a hangover, music has changed the way I look at things, most of that has come from personal recommendations.

Edited by russycarps

My shout: Solid Air by John Martyn.

if that's missing from anyone's personal top 100, it's only because they've never heard it (or never listened to it properly).

It was a sad day when John died. And it was quite a sad day the last time I saw him (at Bestival about 5 years ago), confined to a wheelchair after his drinking had lost him a leg (or two?). He didn't look well at all. .... but he sounded nearly as sweet as ever.

So, in an attempt to broaden my musical horizons (although I am not pigeon holed in any musical style, if I like it I like it) I wondered what the most credible top 100 albums of all time list is ie Rolling Stone, NME etc.

Any suggestions as to which list is the more credible and why, would be greatly appreciated and then I shall start to work my way through it

cheers