eFestivals is fund-raising

eFestivals has been here 20 years supporting festivals and festival goers. Without your support it will not continue as it has been.
Advertising used to pay the bills but advertising revenues are much less than they were.

Festivals: if you'd like us to continue to promote your event to our 650,000 monthly readers you'll need to give a helping hand.
Festival-Goers: if every visitor in just one day donated just £2, that would provide funding for a whole year.

You can donate or sign up for 'gold' (ad-free) membership, or you can contact the editor.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Big Vern

Greatest Albums

So, in an attempt to broaden my musical horizons (although I am not pigeon holed in any musical style, if I like it I like it) I wondered what the most credible top 100 albums of all time list is ie Rolling Stone, NME etc.

Any suggestions as to which list is the more credible and why, would be greatly appreciated and then I shall start to work my way through it

cheers

you're going to get the same concensus pretty much whatever list you look at. Not many wildcards in there.

I reckon you'd be better off asking everyone on here to recommend one album to you. There's a prety broad mix of people here and tastes, reckon that'd be a good bet

1 album, and you can't name an album if someone else has already named it. Also preferably not a really obvious choice,

Not really an album that you'd struggle to discover anyway but it's one of my favourites of all time:

Oasis - Definately Maybe

you're going to get the same concensus pretty much whatever list you look at. Not many wildcards in there.

I reckon you'd be better off asking everyone on here to recommend one album to you. There's a prety broad mix of people here and tastes, reckon that'd be a good bet

1 album, and you can't name an album if someone else has already named it. Also preferably not a really obvious choice,

I hate trying to name my favourite album - bloody impossible task. I can give you a brief short-listing and even that will have changed in an hour or so. Nevertheless, these four albums would make my top twenty every hour, every day, at least.

Henry's Dream - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Dog Man Star - Suede

Strangeways, Here We Come - The Smiths

Olympian - Gene

All fairly obvious but I'm not exactly a revolutionary!

The problem with random people just naming an album is that almost every album is at least 1 person's favourite at some point in time. Rolling Stone's top 500 is a decent starting point, was voted for by artists/journalists etc. and it's generally the closest you'll get to a consensus.

Here's a site that has agreggated scores from loads of different 'best album' lists, including the nme, VH-1, Rolling stone etc

http://www.besteveralbums.com/overall.php

Me, I can see Bradders point, but loads of the interesting music I've found has been despite concensus, not because of it.

Music which has made me jump around, weep, want to get drunk, helped me shake off a hangover, music has changed the way I look at things, most of that has come from personal recommendations.

I think it's about saying "Give this a go, you might like it, you might not. But there's a good chance you might not have heard it before" Might change your life. pretty much the best gift you can give anybody, that.

My shout: Solid Air by John Martyn.

Here's a site that has agreggated scores from loads of different 'best album' lists, including the nme, VH-1, Rolling stone etc

http://www.bestevera...com/overall.php

Me, I can see Bradders point, but loads of the interesting music I've found has been despite concensus, not because of it.

Music which has made me jump around, weep, want to get drunk, helped me shake off a hangover, music has changed the way I look at things, most of that has come from personal recommendations.

hehehe, proof that I'm not just an awkward c**t on here. From that list, I don't like Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Radiohead or Led Zeppelin.

I know, I know....

Dark side of the moon 2nd.....

am I the only person who thinks it's nowhere near their best album? It's like people saying sgt pepper is the beatles best. It really annoys me,,

There's an easy way to check if it doesn't include Gram Parson - Grevious Angel, and Grateful Dead's - Workingmans Dead then it's not a proper list

My shout: Solid Air by John Martyn.

if that's missing from anyone's personal top 100, it's only because they've never heard it (or never listened to it properly).

It was a sad day when John died. And it was quite a sad day the last time I saw him (at Bestival about 5 years ago), confined to a wheelchair after his drinking had lost him a leg (or two?). He didn't look well at all. .... but he sounded nearly as sweet as ever.

Solid Air is an album by John martyn. It is ranked number 1,294 in the overall greatest album chart.

And that's why the concensus can go fuck itself.

So, in an attempt to broaden my musical horizons (although I am not pigeon holed in any musical style, if I like it I like it) I wondered what the most credible top 100 albums of all time list is ie Rolling Stone, NME etc.

Any suggestions as to which list is the more credible and why, would be greatly appreciated and then I shall start to work my way through it

cheers

if that's missing from anyone's personal top 100, it's only because they've never heard it (or never listened to it properly).