Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

16 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I can't believe Underworld would go on the tele in 2016 and play Born Slippy...

Why not? It was their debut on Later and I wouldn't be surprised if they requested they play it because of that. 

8 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Why not? It was their debut on Later and I wouldn't be surprised if they requested they play it because of that. 

How many bands go on Jools and play their one notorious hit from 20 years ago, I'm not sure it'll be many 

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

How many bands go on Jools and play their one notorious hit from 20 years ago, I'm not sure it'll be many 

I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but it would have before. I'm just guessing here, but it was their first time on the show, so they might have been asked to do it. Who knows. I'm sure if Radiohead appear on it this year, and randomly play Creep people on here will have their Kleenex out. 

It's a common thing for a band to play a classic on Jools if they've not been on before. Or at least rarely. Pearl Jam did Alive, Green Day did Basket Case, Foo Fighters did My Hero.

On ‎4‎-‎5‎-‎2016 at 9:58 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

David Bowie played "Rebel, Rebel" in 2002...

Edited by marcoolio
  • Upvote 1

On 04/05/2016 at 7:16 PM, Rumblestripe said:

Now then Guy lad! Nope no offence this time either!

I think we must have diametrically opposite tastes in music though as I found it was all rather, well... meh.

Though I did enjoy the Baaba Maal and Mumfords All World All Stars noodling without finding it terribly memorable. Gregory Porter always leaves me inexplicably cold which is odd as I'm partial to some Soul Music but I always seem to think "great voice but find a song". Field Music I sort of liked but not as much as I thought I would after hearing them in session on R6. As for the rest Underworld and Lumineers, forgettable can't remember a single thing about them.

Roll on next/this week and peace and love Guy!

hey old son if we were all the same life would be boring lol ......ive missed this weeks as i was away for 26 wedding thingmebob lol.....not sure if its on again at mo ...plus its taking me ages to get to write any thing cos of some debug thing ........peace and love back at ya old son

On 04/05/2016 at 7:16 PM, Rumblestripe said:

Now then Guy lad! Nope no offence this time either!

I think we must have diametrically opposite tastes in music though as I found it was all rather, well... meh.

Though I did enjoy the Baaba Maal and Mumfords All World All Stars noodling without finding it terribly memorable. Gregory Porter always leaves me inexplicably cold which is odd as I'm partial to some Soul Music but I always seem to think "great voice but find a song". Field Music I sort of liked but not as much as I thought I would after hearing them in session on R6. As for the rest Underworld and Lumineers, forgettable can't remember a single thing about them.

Roll on next/this week and peace and love Guy!

hey old son if we were all the same life would be boring lol ......ive missed this weeks as i was away for 26 wedding thingmebob lol.....not sure if its on again at mo ...plus its taking me ages to get to write any thing cos of some debug thing ........peace and love back at ya old son

23 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

recording it now will do a review tomo old sons

guy having problems with netbook so posting for him........................

its just shit...underword ..old good job he had the words written down ..some cowboy who needed to take some air ..savages ...LZ wannabes some other bloke ..nooo.and jolls having to play just pissed me off ..mrs knight making ££ off her mums name lums okish just ..tar

Just been doing the ironing, watching Friday's Later...

I know. Rock 'n' Roll.

Anyway, I felt compelled to post as I couldn't believe the consistency of what I had watched/heard. Frickin' dreadful.

Underworld - that first track was fucking awful. My 15 year old was writing better dance tracks and beats at 12 years old. Why anyone would be excited about seeing them now, with that as a yardstick, is beyond me. The continued, try-hard spoken vocal over incredibly dull backing track is appalling. What happened?

Lumineers - Christ on a stick! How dull and uninspired is that track. It did nothing, went no-where, had no interesting aspects to the 'song'-writing. Just not good enough.

Savages - I'm afraid I've never been a believer. The track I heard here was no different to the entire set they played at Green Man in 2012. Sixth Form post-punk with nothing to grab you, hook you, disturb you, make you think. I like a bit of good loopy, droney, psychy post-punk. This is not it. They're no better than they were and remain, for me, grossly overrated.

Rationale - perfectly pleasant and nicely played funky, pop-soul. Entirely unmemorable, but not offensive

Marlon Williams - no idea what he is trying to do. Guitar work is OK, voice is average, slightly awkward time-sig changes for a bar or two to break up an uninteresting song sounds a bit forced, with a chord progression in the inter-verse section that sounds incongruous - almost as if he felt he needed to do something different for the sake of it. Oh dear.

Lumineers' second song on now (Underworld's second was just as bloody awful as the first) and is no better. And their LP went to No.1? I know that's almost the antithesis of a marker of quality these days, but even so...

Sorry to seem so negative. I'm confident that people on here would see me as a massively half-full person. But I was struck by the universal dreadfulness of quality in this show so far, with many of the bands soon to 'grace' the Farm. All I can say is that many people must be bloody easily pleased regarding what they expect/need from the music to which they listen.

:ph34r:

Ben

16 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I know. Rock 'n' Roll.

Anyway, I felt compelled to post as I couldn't believe the consistency of what I had watched/heard. Frickin' dreadful.

Underworld - that first track was fucking awful. My 15 year old was writing better dance tracks and beats at 12 years old. Why anyone would be excited about seeing them now, with that as a yardstick, is beyond me. The continued, try-hard spoken vocal over incredibly dull backing track is appalling. What happened?

Lumineers - Christ on a stick! How dull and uninspired is that track. It did nothing, went no-where, had no interesting aspects to the 'song'-writing. Just not good enough.

Savages - I'm afraid I've never been a believer. The track I heard here was no different to the entire set they played at Green Man in 2012. Sixth Form post-punk with nothing to grab you, hook you, disturb you, make you think. I like a bit of good loopy, droney, psychy post-punk. This is not it. They're no better than they were and remain, for me, grossly overrated.

Rationale - perfectly pleasant and nicely played funky, pop-soul. Entirely unmemorable, but not offensive

Marlon Williams - no idea what he is trying to do. Guitar work is OK, voice is average, slightly awkward time-sig changes for a bar or two to break up an uninteresting song sounds a bit forced, with a chord progression in the inter-verse section that sounds incongruous - almost as if he felt he needed to do something different for the sake of it. Oh dear.

Lumineers' second song on now (Underworld's second was just as bloody awful as the first) and is no better. And their LP went to No.1? I know that's almost the antithesis of a marker of quality these days, but even so...

Sorry to seem so negative. I'm confident that people on here would see me as a massively half-full person. But I was struck by the universal dreadfulness of quality in this show so far, with many of the bands soon to 'grace' the Farm. All I can say is that many people must be bloody easily pleased regarding what they expect/need from the music to which they listen.

Ben

Nah bun, Savages are great and fucking amazing live on a small stage.

Granted I didn't watch the show so not sure how they were on it.

Savages were great. Didn't really enjoy much of the rest. Hopefully they get a bigger crowd this year than they did in 2013 when they fell victim to the Stones crowd.

I felt guilty walking out half way through to get a spot for the Stones as they could definitely see me walk out. Took me a few minutes to pluck up the courage to exit as I was convinced they were going to stop their set and call me a dickhead or some such. Must have only have been two or three hundred in the JP tent.

They sounded incredible though, but y'know...the Stones.

3 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

Savages were great. Didn't really enjoy much of the rest. Hopefully they get a bigger crowd this year than they did in 2013 when they fell victim to the Stones crowd.

I felt guilty walking out half way through to get a spot for the Stones as they could definitely see me walk out. Took me a few minutes to pluck up the courage to exit as I was convinced they were going to stop their set and call me a dickhead or some such. Must have only have been two or three hundred in the JP tent.

They sounded incredible though, but y'know...the Stones.

Haha, that's a shame. I saw them at Leeds in 2013 subbing the FR tent whilst Eminem was on. There was hardly anyone in there but they were absolutely incredible.

Got to agree with you on The Lumineers, @bennyhana22 and I liked their first album (I have no shame). Yes, the single was played to death but it was all enjoyable enough. Several years after that 1st release, I was looking forward to hearing some new stuff but it is all terribly dull. What have they been doing in the intervening years? 

You're also right on Underworld (but I knew I wouldn't like that) and the other stuff. A poor show all round.

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Got to agree with you on The Lumineers, @bennyhana22 and I liked their first album (I have no shame). Yes, the single was played to death but it was all enjoyable enough. Several years after that 1st release, I was looking forward to hearing some new stuff but it is all terribly dull. What have they been doing in the intervening years? 

You're also right on Underworld (but I knew I wouldn't like that) and the other stuff. A poor show all round.

What?

We're in agreement?

Again?

Twice?

In one lifetime?

*faints*

:)

Ben

• Upvote 1

I really like Underworlds new album but maybe low burn or nylon strung would've been better to play, its probably hard for them on TV as I think their strength lies in longer slow building songs. Savages are talented but I kinda agree in that they've yet to really grab me on record but I think I'd need to see live first before making my mind up. 

23 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Nah bun, Savages are great and fucking amazing live on a small stage.

Granted I didn't watch the show so not sure how they were on it.

Well, sometimes I guess we're at different racecourses, young William.

As a comparison, having had the nod that they're Glastonbury-bound, I've been giving BEAK> a fair bit of my attention. Now I know they're not exactly the same as Savages, but the ethos is not dissimilar. And they're soon much more interesting. For all of Savages bluster and live aggression (which is great, I grant you, having seen them on a smallish stage on a Thursday night at GM), at the end of the day if the choons just ain't good enough...

Ben

3 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Well, sometimes I guess we're at different racecourses, young William.

As a comparison, having had the nod that they're Glastonbury-bound, I've been giving BEAK> a fair bit of my attention. Now I know they're not exactly the same as Savages, but the ethos is not dissimilar. And they're soon much more interesting. For all of Savages bluster and live aggression (which is great, I grant you, having seen them on a smallish stage on a Thursday night at GM), at the end of the day if the choons just ain't good enough...

Ben

Fair play. Anyway, your mention of seeing them on a Thursday night on a small stage has led me back to my hope of them doing the Thursday night on WG. Not confident I'll be able to see their normal slot which I expect to be near the top of the Park bill due to presence of Foals, PJ Harvey and the like.

14 hours ago, sharon said:

guy having problems with netbook so posting for him........................

its just shit...underword ..old good job he had the words written down ..some cowboy who needed to take some air ..savages ...LZ wannabes some other bloke ..nooo.and jolls having to play just pissed me off ..mrs knight making ££ off her mums name lums okish just ..tar

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I know. Rock 'n' Roll.

Ben

i like how these posts say very similar things in very different ways.  we just need to know Ben's opinion of Jools.

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

i like how these posts say very similar things in very different ways.  we just need to know Ben's opinion of Jools.

I don't mind him, Yeti. I know he winds some people up, but I respect him because I believe that he loves music and cares about integrity. Musically his stuff is perfectly fine and I'd watch his band outside in the sun on a Sunday afternoon etc. - just as I am currently doing with Child 3's jazz orchestra! And, whatever you think of him, it's undeniable that he plays a mean joanna.

Ben