Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

Decent article about IDLES' performance here https://louderthanwar.com/idles-jools-holland-later-victory-music/#.W6tdJtStok8.twitter Maybe a little on the nose but I like John Robb so I'm alright with it. I thought they were great but I've seen them put shifts like that in a couple of times live the last couple of years so I'm gonna have to disagree with the 'try hard' cynics (weird complaint to have anyway).

IDLES are clearly great and essential and relevant and everything else. They're also clearly not for me. I can understand the love for them, but (& I promise this doesn't mean to sound as patronising as it inevitably will) I did my sensitive yet shouty politically switched-on punk 30 years ago, and just can't get excited about it. That's my problem, not theirs and they're worth a million Slaves or whoever. Head and shoulders above the rest. Fair fucking play to them, hope they go on to conquer the world. And yeah, I fancy a 3rd from top of JP for them.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Who do you think Idles' typical crowd is? I think Lammo is the chief advocate of Idles so I suspect that the Later with Jools Holland crowd will have been well familiar with the band.

I dunno, I suspect it would have taken a fair few by surprise. Later performances aren't generally known for being that energetic

I had a good chuckle at The IDLES, so can therefore conclude I was entertained. It was even funnier the second time, like watching that fat women falling off the stage during the 'Teen Awards'.

Music wise I've seen it all before though, generic, dull and predictable. There's loads of bands like this up and down the country churning it out in punk clubs/ events for the last 40+ years.

I immediately looked forward to laughing equally hard at some shite, badly written NME article saying it's the best thing ever happened. I wasn't disappointed: https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/idles-jools-holland-danny-nedelko-best-moments-2383585

NoGSo you got 12 guitars. The shows only 30 minutes long.. Git.. 

Muse. Whining... He's getting worse with each new album.. Jimmy Somerville on backing vocals.. Crap 

Laurel... Not sure.. Not bad.. Someone wants to sort out the girls dressing room.. 

JG.. Alright so it's slinots cousins... Could grow on ya.. The masks that is 

Bollox... 

Hamaz.... Rubbish.. But I said that about Laura Mvula

Couldn't be bothered.. Hate jazz 

Fair play brilliant singer charlie boy voted best crooner I believe 

Rest was shit.. Oh wellllllllll 

• 3 weeks later...

Not often Later really introduces me to anything new that I’m entirely bothered about but Another Sky were pretty good and different as things go.

Interpol, perhaps unsurprisingly, practically yawned out all their songs and their run through of my favourite track on the new album, Flight of Fancy, was turgid. Boo-anks.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:47 PM, dentalplan said:

Not often Later really introduces me to anything new that I’m entirely bothered about but Another Sky were pretty good and different as things go.

Went to see Another Sky this evening, and they were really something! My only complaint was they played for 30 minutes, then ended with no warning. Felt a little contractual... but still, when they were on, mind blowing!

41 minutes ago, BreadMakesYouFat? said:

Went to see Another Sky this evening, and they were really something! My only complaint was they played for 30 minutes, then ended with no warning. Felt a little contractual... but still, when they were on, mind blowing!

That's great to hear, thanks! Guess the setlists will grow when there is a bit more material.

• 11 months later...

Jools is back next Thursday and it's returned to the BBC Television Centre in London. The longer show on Friday will have a different co-host each week for this series, starting with Mark Ronson. The line up on the first show is Mark Ronson, Yebba, Sampa the Great, Cate Le Bon, Georgia and PP Arnold. The following week there's Liam Gallagher, Rex Orange County, Amyl and the Sniffers, Kojey Radical, Celeste and Jessie Ware.

20 hours ago, Chas said:

Jools is back next Thursday and it's returned to the BBC Television Centre in London. The longer show on Friday will have a different co-host each week for this series, starting with Mark Ronson. The line up on the first show is Mark Ronson, Yebba, Sampa the Great, Cate Le Bon, Georgia and PP Arnold. The following week there's Liam Gallagher, Rex Orange County, Amyl and the Sniffers, Kojey Radical, Celeste and Jessie Ware.

I wonder is it still live. Liam mentioned recording the show a few weeks ago. Figured it was the Hootenany.