Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

On 17/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, MattDavies__ said:

I just watched last weeks and enjoyed Beck's song but he seemed to be relying very heavily on the backing singers. Was a bit odd 

Not sure which song you mean but he barely seemed present, you’re right. Didn’t think much to him nor Annie, and Plant’s new songs are a bit crap.

Was a better show this week but particularly vv impressed with Wolf Alice and the boys. Songs off the new album sound decent live. 

• 2 weeks later...

Noel’s new tunes are a bit different and I wasn’t too sure to begin with but I do really like the new style. Noticed a woman playing the scissors in the background towards the end of the second song! Not seen that done before and don’t think it will catch on

• 3 months later...
On 16/10/2014 at 11:12 PM, salvador wali said:

How did "UB40" get away with playing Bearded Theory as "UB40" but on the BBC it's only Ali?

Stumbled across the bbc4 documentary on the ub40 split last night.

Fair airing for both sides I thought. Really sad that they all seem to have blown everything on the legal fees. Ali not attending his Dads funeral a particular low point.

Sad stuff. Based on nothing other than last nights programme I’d say Ali is in the wrong but his brothers and the rest of the original band who’ve split with Ali are on a pointless and bitter road to nowhere :-(

• 2 months later...

Hi all, a mate has managed to bag a couple of tickets for next Tuesdays Later with Jools show. Only problem is I have a funeral that afternoon and will be coming from Norfolk so have a fair drive to get to Maidstone

Anyone know what (the latest) time you need to get there to still get in? I know they release more than the capacity due to  expected no showers so youre not guaranteed to get in if more people turn up than they expect -  they advise to get there early. Any idea what time you can still get in?

Ta!

When I went around 5 years ago I was there all day as a guest of one of the sound techs. 

They were rehashing cameras, lights, scripts etc right until the very last minute. 

Then the doors finally opened at 8pm and everyone rushed into place. The hour long show was prerecorded in one take between 8.45and 9.45. 

Then the live show at 10.00 to 10.30

Retakes for the recorded show followed and they finally quit around 11.45 before stripping the set etc. Dexys played one song 3 times for some reason  

Bu the way, in those days when recorded in London there the audience looked like 80%public and 20% BBC staff (judging by their media suits and BBC lanyards)!

I assume if you’re late you can slip into the back row when the cameras are all pointing the other way  

It was a pretty relaxed studio. 

Funfact, I only took one photo whilst there. It was me sitting on the football focus sofa in the next door studio. (I hate football)

Thanks for the replies, the tickets say gig starts at 8 so wondered what the latest time it would be safe to arrive and still get in, is 7 too late?

None of the acts excite me particularly, i have always just wanted to go and see how it all works having watched it on the box for so many years. The line up is on the later with Jools bbc site as well now

Baffles me there's people out there that prefer Snow Patrol to Shame.

Pretty rubbish show tonight, Plan B bot really achieving what he's setting out for and that Mama, You've Been On My Mind cover didn't work for me. I did like Jade Bird and think Shame keep getting better after I wrote them off a year ago (my bad).

Just caught Boy Azooga on tonight’s live show. Really like the sound of their 3 released tunes so interested to hear the rest of their album next month. Sounded good live and think their shows will be good fun. £8 a ticket can’t complain

10 hours ago, Billjames7 said:

Just caught Boy Azooga on tonight’s live show. Really like the sound of their 3 released tunes so interested to hear the rest of their album next month. Sounded good live and think their shows will be good fun. £8 a ticket can’t complain

Was at the recording last night. The boys were clearly really nervous, and humbled at having such an opportunity. Plenty of hugs once their live slot had finished. Sounded excellent too.

• Like 1

When I went to the show in 2012 I was a guest of a sound engineer and he showed me the set-up.  Here is my summary of what I can remember:

Each band has their own sound desk situated nearby.  They are neally always behind the band and out of site.  Often down an alley between audience risers.  Their job is to mix for the bands monitors and get each instrument balanced well.  They create a mostly finished mix that is then output to two further places (see below). 

Bigger bands that are currently on tour will often bring their own person to mix the band.  But the smaller artists or those that only have a mic and a guitar will use a sound tech provided by the studio.  My mate was one of these and each week will travel 3 hours to London (now Maidstone) to mix just one or two songs played on only one or two instruments.  Consider also that set up and rehearsals start on Monday morning and continue right up till late on Tuesday, there is an awful lot of hanging around.  Each band has a call time for set up and each rehearsal, so at least he knows beforehand which time he has off. 

One place that takes the mix from the band is "TV land".  This is the production control room that takes all the studio sound feeds (Jools mic, guest speakers, studio audience etc) and each of the bands mixes from the above sound desks.  They produce the final mix for broadcast.  They have the ability to fiddle with the sound from each desk - but this is somewhat limited.  Also in this room are the vision mixers and lighting crew.  I poked my head in during rehearsal and it all looked very stark and controlled.  About 20 people sat at 20 consoles with headsets.

The second place that takes the mix from each band is yet another sound desk within the studio.  The person here mixes the sound that gets played in the studio that the studio audience get to hear.  These speakers are positioned above the audience and due to the circular nature of the studio, the only speakers that are active are the ones pointing away from the current performing band.  The sound from these speakers is not too loud and if you happen to be stood behind a performing band, you may actually hear more from the bands monitors than the studio speakers.  This is limited to prevent feedback and remember the sound for TV viewers is of higher importance than the sound for the live audience.

Here is the set-up on the night I went.  Cyan are stage areas, blue are audience.

Jools.PNG.a2ad97456e4638ec64407452c65044b5.PNG

• Like 2

Bjork is an artist I really like, in theory.  I admire the imagination that goes into creating new ways to experience music, inventing new instruments, pioneering new technologies.  All that.

In reality though, her and I parted ways many albums ago.  I've long conceded to myself that her music is just too challenging to for me to find it enjoyable.

I'm glad she's out there not compromising, pushing boundaries and not doing a 25th anniversary tour of Debut.  And I'm happy in the knowledge I saw her a couple of times in the summer of 1994 (including Glastonbury) when she did more accessible pop music. 

Edited by fatyeti24

On 5/16/2018 at 1:27 PM, ian the worm said:

When I went to the show in 2012 I was a guest of a sound engineer and he showed me the set-up.  Here is my summary of what I can remember:

Each band has their own sound desk situated nearby.  They are neally always behind the band and out of site.  Often down an alley between audience risers.  Their job is to mix for the bands monitors and get each instrument balanced well.  They create a mostly finished mix that is then output to two further places (see below). 

Bigger bands that are currently on tour will often bring their own person to mix the band.  But the smaller artists or those that only have a mic and a guitar will use a sound tech provided by the studio.  My mate was one of these and each week will travel 3 hours to London (now Maidstone) to mix just one or two songs played on only one or two instruments.  Consider also that set up and rehearsals start on Monday morning and continue right up till late on Tuesday, there is an awful lot of hanging around.  Each band has a call time for set up and each rehearsal, so at least he knows beforehand which time he has off. 

One place that takes the mix from the band is "TV land".  This is the production control room that takes all the studio sound feeds (Jools mic, guest speakers, studio audience etc) and each of the bands mixes from the above sound desks.  They produce the final mix for broadcast.  They have the ability to fiddle with the sound from each desk - but this is somewhat limited.  Also in this room are the vision mixers and lighting crew.  I poked my head in during rehearsal and it all looked very stark and controlled.  About 20 people sat at 20 consoles with headsets.

The second place that takes the mix from each band is yet another sound desk within the studio.  The person here mixes the sound that gets played in the studio that the studio audience get to hear.  These speakers are positioned above the audience and due to the circular nature of the studio, the only speakers that are active are the ones pointing away from the current performing band.  The sound from these speakers is not too loud and if you happen to be stood behind a performing band, you may actually hear more from the bands monitors than the studio speakers.  This is limited to prevent feedback and remember the sound for TV viewers is of higher importance than the sound for the live audience.

Here is the set-up on the night I went.  Cyan are stage areas, blue are audience.

Jools.PNG.a2ad97456e4638ec64407452c65044b5.PNG

I was there this week, it's not changed much - to make way for Bjork's garden centre - they cut out piano corner.

2 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

This weeks show was one of the worst I've seen for years, The Breeders were barely in tune.

They played it again - so expect it to be better on Saturday, I thought the acts were great. I wasn't expecting to like them (except Marling) but I was presently surprised both Tuck, and Mahal are gonna be great live prospects.