Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Haven't seen it yet but I did see Spring King at Live At Leeds the other week and they're great.

I was just about to say the exact same thing, thoroughly enjoyed them there

• Upvote 1

On 08/05/2016 at 1:05 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Just been doing the ironing, watching Friday's Later...

I know. Rock 'n' Roll.

Anyway, I felt compelled to post as I couldn't believe the consistency of what I had watched/heard. Frickin' dreadful.

Underworld - that first track was fucking awful. My 15 year old was writing better dance tracks and beats at 12 years old. Why anyone would be excited about seeing them now, with that as a yardstick, is beyond me. The continued, try-hard spoken vocal over incredibly dull backing track is appalling. What happened?

Lumineers - Christ on a stick! How dull and uninspired is that track. It did nothing, went no-where, had no interesting aspects to the 'song'-writing. Just not good enough.

Savages - I'm afraid I've never been a believer. The track I heard here was no different to the entire set they played at Green Man in 2012. Sixth Form post-punk with nothing to grab you, hook you, disturb you, make you think. I like a bit of good loopy, droney, psychy post-punk. This is not it. They're no better than they were and remain, for me, grossly overrated.

Rationale - perfectly pleasant and nicely played funky, pop-soul. Entirely unmemorable, but not offensive

Marlon Williams - no idea what he is trying to do. Guitar work is OK, voice is average, slightly awkward time-sig changes for a bar or two to break up an uninteresting song sounds a bit forced, with a chord progression in the inter-verse section that sounds incongruous - almost as if he felt he needed to do something different for the sake of it. Oh dear.

Lumineers' second song on now (Underworld's second was just as bloody awful as the first) and is no better. And their LP went to No.1? I know that's almost the antithesis of a marker of quality these days, but even so...

Sorry to seem so negative. I'm confident that people on here would see me as a massively half-full person. But I was struck by the universal dreadfulness of quality in this show so far, with many of the bands soon to 'grace' the Farm. All I can say is that many people must be bloody easily pleased regarding what they expect/need from the music to which they listen.

:ph34r:

Ben

You need to give Marlon a proper go BH, he was overawed a bit tonight. His voice is mind-blowing live. Unbelievably powerful and tonally amazing. I took a mate to see him In Manchester and he's not one for hyperbole and he said one of the songs may have contained the best noises his ears have ever heard. See him live at Glastonbury, if you like singer songwriters and you'll thank me for this :-) 

wooop a bit of iggy pop ....top of the range wheres that guitarest from ....??qotsa ??
 great start

yak yak

blossoms ...there under new order i think ?? like them great like it do they have need more umph..imo a bit too clean ..thell grow out of it when they start on the drugs lol

MP...dolly wanna be same dress sence blonde hair but not got the boobs lol ...not my cuppa tea tho and that fucker JUST CANT stop him self .......jools get off those fucking keys old son ..

if and when he write his book itll go like this ..i had a great time with my band squueze then i played the ivory keys with .blar blar balr blar yak yak yak ..

ok some roots PROTOJE...who doesnt like abit of reggae ...cant stand the silly singers making love heart signs tho ...yea man EASYyyyyyyyyyyyy chillin

GN....nope

Lou....the french libertines...think these could be quite good. abit of a suzie q moment ..

blaryakblar

IIIIIIIGGGGGYYYYY      WANDER HOW MANY TIMES HES SANG THIS ....go on old son not seen this one yet hope to catch him before he pops off ...fucking great ...

top of the range ..best show so far

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

wooop a bit of iggy pop ....top of the range wheres that guitarest from ....??qotsa ??
 great start

yak yak

blossoms ...there under new order i think ?? like them great like it do they have need more umph..imo a bit too clean ..thell grow out of it when they start on the drugs lol

MP...dolly wanna be same dress sence blonde hair but not got the boobs lol ...not my cuppa tea tho and that fucker JUST CANT stop him self .......jools get off those fucking keys old son ..

if and when he write his book itll go like this ..i had a great time with my band squueze then i played the ivory keys with .blar blar balr blar yak yak yak ..

ok some roots PROTOJE...who doesnt like abit of reggae ...cant stand the silly singers making love heart signs tho ...yea man EASYyyyyyyyyyyyy chillin

GN....nope

Lou....the french libertines...think these could be quite good. abit of a suzie q moment ..

blaryakblar

IIIIIIIGGGGGYYYYY      WANDER HOW MANY TIMES HES SANG THIS ....go on old son not seen this one yet hope to catch him before he pops off ...fucking great ...

top of the range ..best show so far

Iggy aced it at the Albert Hall last Friday

10 hours ago, Perks said:

Digging Protoje tonight.

10 hours ago, McCor said:

First I've ever heard. Defo on the must see list!!!!

' Ancient Future' is a great album, and his previous one 'The 8 Year Affair ' is pretty good too (the first one is a bit meh).

Top marks to Emily for getting new reggae on the Pyramid the last couple of years. I'm wondering if it's the result of me pointing out to her the distinct lack of reggae.

Am just checking out what was on Jools.

@eFestivals they just showed Who Knows last night on Jools, but there'll be more on Friday. He's a seriously cool customer. Do you think he'll be on the Pyramid like Chronixx last year? I think he's down as Silver Hayes on the eFests line-up page.

Edited by StLewi

3 minutes ago, StLewi said:

@eFestivals they just showed Ancient Future last night on Jools, but there'll be more on Friday. He's a seriously cool customer. Do you think he'll be on the Pyramid like Chronixx last year? I think he's down as Silver Hayes on the eFests line-up page.

well, I did think he'd by Pyramid, but I'd missed that he was included in the Silver Hayes line-up ... so I guess he'll be there and not the pyramid.

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Great stuff from Iffy last night - Lust for Life I mean, still not sold on the album - but would love to see him do more Stooges stuff. Live shows seem to be a mix of this album and The Idiot?

Yep stuff from the new album, Idiot and Lust for Life. Not a bad selection to choose from!

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

well, I did think he'd by Pyramid, but I'd missed that he was included in the Silver Hayes line-up ... so I guess he'll be there and not the pyramid.

Though he's the kind of act that could show up in more than one place - and with a bit of hype starting to build behind him he could yet still crop up there or on West Holts if his amenable and / or there's a space to fill.

1 minute ago, gluther said:

Protoje was great last night. He has been one of my best finds in the run up to this years festival. Not sure Silver Hayes is the ideal spot for him but we will see come June.

I'd rather see him in shangri la than on Pyramid, but that's just selfish reasons, prefer the smaller stages. As gonzo said can see him cropping up a few times.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though he's the kind of act that could show up in more than one place - and with a bit of hype starting to build behind him he could yet still crop up there or on West Holts if his amenable and / or there's a space to fill.

he's definitely not on WH.

I've made more than enough reggae enquiries of WH to know he's very definitely not there.