Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

I don't post in the AF thread cos they don't interest me nor do I have any interest in being interrogated as to why I don't like them.

I’m not interested in why you don’t like them.

Sorry if it feels like an interrogation. Really. It’s probably because my posts keep continually being misinterpreted, so I have to return to try and clarify, although seemingly it’s had no effect at all.

Maybe try reading the bit about music feeding the soul. You "might" get it!

I take it you either didn’t read or just disagree with one of the first things I posted in this thread. I disregarded personal taste ages ago in the discussion, as I don’t think it’s relevant.

The National feed my soul, wouldn’t suggest they headline though.

No just that its about a programme that one particular band happened to be on amongst others and it seems to have totally taken over the thread.

I don't post in the AF thread cos they don't interest me nor do I have any interest in being interrogated as to why I don't like them.

If one wants to chat about how great they are and with like minded people well, as said there is a thread already there for that purpose.

To be fair, you made the point that you didn't think they were worthy headliners and it seems you think that because you don't like them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with you not liking them but that doesn't preclude them from headlining the festival. If headliners were only bands or artists that EVERYBODY liked there would never be a headline act of any festival ever. As you say, music touches people. Not the same music but different music. Arcade Fire's music touches people, a lot of people, so many people in fact that they've headlined festivals all over the world to great acclaim. Why is Glastonbury any different?

• Upvote 2

Its not that fucking simple though is it? Music fuels the soul. Some songs can make you cry, give you goosebumps, make you happy and really tug at your gut.

How does one explain that? Pure emotion.

Arcade Fire leave me feeling cold. Like handling wet fish. Can't explain better than that nor do I "owe" you a better one.

So as discussed, this is the Jools thread, there were other artists on the show. If you want to have a chat about Arcade Fire where everyone shares the same view well you know where to go.

Interesting you feel like that about them!

A lot of their songs explore the relationship between cold separation and heartwarming togetherness, and all that palaver, so maybe you've heard more of the former! For me, I didn't get the fuss either, til I saw them at Leeds, and it felt like falling in love. No band has lifted my spirit like they do.

If you'd like to challenge yourself and get me to show you some performances that make my heart soar, please ask, but if you don't wanna, that's cool too. :)

To be fair, you made the point that you didn't think they were worthy headliners and it seems you think that because you don't like them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with you not liking them but that doesn't preclude them from headlining the festival. If headliners were only bands or artists that EVERYBODY liked there would never be a headline act of any festival ever. As you say, music touches people. Not the same music but different music. Arcade Fire's music touches people, a lot of people, so many people in fact that they've headlined festivals all over the world to great acclaim. Why is Glastonbury any different?

I agree with this, what I would want as a headliner doesn't mean it would make you happy. So why can't I just say I don't like them but hope ye all have a fab time while I check something else out?

How many stages are there at Glastonbury? And why do ye give a shit what I think? I certainly don't care if ye like same stuff I do. Couldn't care less, shrug it off and carry on without the need to try and bring you round to my way of thinking.

I have never once asked you to agree with me, just gave my opinion.

To be fair, you made the point that you didn't think they were worthy headliners and it seems you think that because you don't like them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with you not liking them but that doesn't preclude them from headlining the festival.

This is what I’ve been trying to discuss and get to the bottom of for what seems like forever now. Haven’t even been talking about their music.

Interesting you feel like that about them!

A lot of their songs explore the relationship between cold separation and heartwarming togetherness, and all that palaver, so maybe you've heard more of the former! For me, I didn't get the fuss either, til I saw them at Leeds, and it felt like falling in love. No band has lifted my spirit like they do.

If you'd like to challenge yourself and get me to show you some performances that make my heart soar, please ask, but if you don't wanna, that's cool too. :)

To be honest, I was still thinking of giving them a chance cos seeing a band live is a totally different experience but this thread has turned me right off.

• Downvote 1

I agree with this, what I would want as a headliner doesn't mean it would make you happy. So why can't I just say I don't like them but hope ye all have a fab time while I check something else out?

How many stages are there at Glastonbury? And why do ye give a shit what I think? I certainly don't care if ye like same stuff I do. Couldn't care less, shrug it off and carry on without the need to try and bring you round to my way of thinking.

I have never once asked you to agree with me, just gave my opinion.

When you put it like that we're all in complete agreement. :)

This is a discussion forum though where opinions get discussed just for the hell of it. It's all part of the fun! ;)

This is what I’ve been trying to discuss and get to the bottom of for what seems like forever now. Haven’t even been talking about their music.

Why does it bother you so much? like so what, some girl on an internet forum doesnt think my band should be headliners. Waaa waaa waaa

Seriously?

To be honest, I was still thinking of giving them a chance cos seeing a band live is a totally different experience but this thread has turned me right off.

I think there's crossed wires all over the shop in here, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

So you don’t actually disagree with them headlining then? Well that was a colossal waste of time then. Literally all I’ve been discussing is that. Haven’t once questioned your opinion about their music, or tried to sway your opinion.

When you put it like that we're all in complete agreement. :)

Yeah.

Don't let a couple strangers on the internet put you off. Give them a whirl, you never know, we may end up as strangers dancing the night away as the euphoria grips us.... :)

Eugh...that should have been the best show of the series

I love Arcade Fire but that was embarrassingly bad - singing in tune with each other during Normal Person can't be that hard guys

I also love Wild Beasts but they were just...okay - not really the right environment for it - they never come across too well live on video

Thankfully Sharon Van Etton's performance was predictably gorgeous and Damon Jurado soldiering on epicly with his broken string made up for it.

Didn't care much for Imelda May (though I do have a crush on her) or the other guy

Edited by rjb94

Why does it bother you so much? like so what, some girl on an internet forum doesnt think my band should be headliners. Waaa waaa waaa

Seriously?

It’s not that at all. I was asking a question. It’s called curiosity. It can lead to different avenues of discussion. If you state an opinion then I can consider it, it leads to new thoughts and stuff.

Edit: Any yeah, don’t let a discussion on the internet affect whether you see them. I’m not connected to the band. I did meet Will Butler once, but it seemed like more of an inconvenience for him.

Edited by bocumaroy

So you don’t actually disagree with them headlining then? Well that was a colossal waste of time then. Literally all I’ve been discussing is that. Haven’t once questioned your opinion about their music, or tried to sway your opinion.

Yeah.

No, "I" don't agree with them headlining cos I think they are shit but other people obviously disagree and who am I to argue with what draws a crowd. Jaysis

It’s not that at all. I was asking a question. It’s called curiosity. It can lead to different avenues of discussion. If you state an opinion then I can consider it, it leads to new thoughts and stuff.

I already stated though, music tugs at the emotions. its raw and unexplainable. I can't explain better than that.

No, "I" don't agree with them headlining cos I think they are shit but other people obviously disagree and who am I to argue with what draws a crowd. Jaysis

Okay. I don’t really get that way of thinking (I don’t like Arctic Monkeys, but wouldn’t disagree with them headlining, or Kasabian even), but no point arguing over it.

I already stated though, music tugs at the emotions. its raw and unexplainable. I can't explain better than that.

Yeah, that’s universally agreeable. I was genuinely intrigued to hear opinions about why they weren’t suitable headliners (objectively, which is the only way these things can be assessed). I wasn’t trying to sway your opinion, it could have been interesting. As it turns out it’s been pages of squabbling just because you don’t like them. Crossed wires, as Simpo said.

No just that its about a programme that one particular band happened to be on amongst others and it seems to have totally taken over the thread.

If one wants to chat about how great they are and with like minded people well, as said there is a thread already there for that purpose.

Does this mean you'll stop posting in the proper weather thread?

• Downvote 4

Arcade Fire are worthy headliners.

They are not "WOW" headliners, but Mumford and Sons were the last headliners to play on the Pyramid.

I can only think of the Pizza underground as a band who are less worthy than Mumfords.

Coldplay are shit, but they are worthy headliners. I just didn't watch them.

I'm hardly prolific in there? It was a joke with my friend. sheesh

Just comparing your attitude in this thread with mine and others over the initial shouting in the other. You're certainly not the worst perpetrator, I just thought given you where complaining about the same thing here you might think twice in future, maybe convince some of the rest of that thread to do the same.

OT

Enjoyed Damien Jurado and Sharon Van Etten, thought Arcade Fire where really flat if they start off as lifeless as that next month then I may try and run up to The Park for Metrenomy.

Edited by mcshed
  • Downvote 2