Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

Elbow were their usual anthemic but uninspiring.

Clean bandit were really good, love that song and will definitely be looking them up.

Eagulls, wow... what a pile of shit! Me and my mates couldn't believed how hyped they currently are! It was tuneless noise, the singer was truly awful and they looked like they were hating every minute of it! Will be taking a wide berth of them this summer!

Englebert was great, it's amazing how well is voice is holding up

Clean bandit were really good, love that song and will definitely be looking them up.

Eagulls, wow... what a pile of shit! Me and my mates couldn't believed how hyped they currently are! It was tuneless noise, the singer was truly awful and they looked like they were hating every minute of it! Will be taking a wide berth of them this summer!

I wouldn't skip them purely based on their TV performance, most bands like that don't come across very well on shows like that. It's impossible to compare their live sound to that of a TV show.

I wouldn't skip them purely based on their TV performance, most bands like that don't come across very well on shows like that. It's impossible to compare their live sound to that of a TV show.

I think they are pretty poor on record too, really haven't grabbed my attention at all. That performance, in my humble opinion was awful!

I've seen some very good live bands have shockers on TV but that 3 minutes and the fact the album wasn't all that I think i'll pass on Eagulls.

However very much looking forward to Royal Blood next week and I'm hearing lots of good things about Paolo's new album

Definitely agree with you on Eagulls. Absolute gash. I was looking forward to seeing them supporting Franz Ferdinand, because of all the hype they were getting and they were awful. I'm all for noise, feedback and shit, but it was used in such an unimaginative way it bored me to tears.

Jools Holland is a terrible benchmark for how good a band is live, seriously fucking awful, not only is it a live performance on tv where something is usually lost you have an unorthodox crowd set up which really doesn't suit a lot of bands... especially rock bands. If I saw the likes of Fucked Up on Jools Holland I probably wouldn't ever have seen them and it turns out they're one of the best live bands out there.

Jools Holland is a terrible benchmark for how good a band is live, seriously fucking awful, not only is it a live performance on tv where something is usually lost you have an unorthodox crowd set up which really doesn't suit a lot of bands... especially rock bands. If I saw the likes of Fucked Up on Jools Holland I probably wouldn't ever have seen them and it turns out they're one of the best live bands out there.

Agree that it sorts the rough from the smooth. I was there all day for the rehearsals a year ago and brilliant to witness the build up to the recorded Friday show (done at 8:30pm Tuesday) followed by the live show. Followed by retakes for the Friday show.

Bloody hell, I'm not a fan but Mr. Humperdink has got quite a voice on him for a 77 year old!

shame he left it in the shower on the day of Eurovision eh :(

Went to see Elbow in Liverpool on Saturday.

God the new album is dull live.

is that a surprise? they're basically the kings of recording dull song after dull song

Bloody hell, I'm not a fan but Mr. Humperdink has got quite a voice on him for a 77 year old!

Thought he was a bit of joke when younger, like T Jones's rival for the easy listen, but like something of a treasure now.

I completely agree with you, seen some bands who I know are brilliant live trot out some right shit on there.

My main problem with Eagulls performance is they couldn't look less bothered about being there! 'Later' is great exposure for an up and coming band, and like it or not it's a british music institutions. You could at least look happy to be there! If my band ever got on 'Later' i'd be over the moon!

I thought Clean Bandit were excellent - those 3 girl vocalists were fantastic (both Tuesday and Friday). The Eagulls were alright, although the singer is obviously desperate to be Robert Smith. Typically hyped NME types I thought.

Elbow were as expected, and I loved Neneh Cherry's reworking of Buffalo Stance. As has been said Englebert is a National Treasure, and even the Scandi woman wasn't too bad.

I've found Jools is best if you put your amp on loud (if you have it connected to the telly) - it livens up what is typically flat sound pushed out from a TV.

The show wasn't at all bad this week compared with some weeks.

shame he left it in the shower on the day of Eurovision eh :(

is that a surprise? they're basically the kings of recording dull song after dull song

Nah, they have some crackers live, Grounds for divorce, leaders of the free world to name a couple. My point was that the new album is dull live.

Totally underwhelmed by the whole show TBH.

I thought Elbow were poor, as is the album IMO, Eagulls were just a load of noise ( I am getting old) , and the girl trio Clean Bandit to me sounded out of tune, at least the two on the side of the lead singer were. Neneh Cherry was just ok. It can only get better? Looking at next weeks line up I'm not sure.

Funny how subjective it all is. Great to see Englebert, thought Neneh was good, stripped down to basics. Eagulls have a good sound but would annoy me after 20 mins probably. Liked Agnes Obel, be great in acoustic tent. Clean Bandit mixing some good sounds and lead vocalists. As for Elbow, I wizzed them on!