Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

Well I just read they need to look for a new studio, so anybodys guess where it ends up. Anyway, love the show and I can use your tickets if you get them smile.png I managed to get them one time a few years ago but not a sniff since. What's weird is watching the bands not really playing to an audience, just a camera!

how long does filming take? i always imagined it'd take all day and be pretty dull when there's no music on, but that's more a general fear of tv show recordings i have than anything based on reality

how long does filming take? i always imagined it'd take all day and be pretty dull when there's no music on, but that's more a general fear of tv show recordings i have than anything based on reality

Audience went in around 20:00 with a warm up guy talking for a bit then into the music, they do the hour show then break for a bit and go straight into the live stuff. It was pretty straight off with no messing for the recorded bit, a few tweaks only. So what you see on TV Tue/Fri is a reverse of the schedule when you go. I understand they spend most of the day setting up and rehearsing. Was pretty good stuff, would love to go again, another surprise is how small the studio is, cameras do funny things smile.png

Edited by whisty

A fairly interesting week this week;

Biffo Cliro : Not a fan and even with another member which makes for a rounder fully sound for them... i still didn't like it. Horses for courses and all that.....

Tama Impala : Very Interesting! Loved Elephant and the second song, Feels like we only go backwards. They are a throwback to the late sixties early seventies, a mix between , Yes and Genisis... With a smidgen of Floyd in between. There is definatly a pro rock vibe going on. The lead singer sounds a bit like Peter Frampton.i've never listened to them before and as a lover in that jaundre i have found someone new to listen to. This is why i watch Jools and have found many " new to me" singers and bands down the years. Lovong the drumming here, very seventies :)

Sinead O'conner : Wow she's like as made as a hatter at a hatters tea party! Loved " No one compares to you ", you can't say she hasn't still got a great voice, but man what did she look like. She obviously very very relegious, i was half expecting her to chastise herself half way through the last song!

Coutney Pine: I've never really been a fan of instrumentals, though he may be great at what he does.... not for me.

And what is it with the last two weeks that Jools is trying to re ignite some old blokes career? Don't get it?

Next week is a bit weak IMO, Lana Del Rey i find Boring, i've not heard of Palma Violets or The weekend, so perhaps i'll find someone else new i like:)

My mate works on Jools....

Monday at dawn, the studio up and 80% of the bands arrive throughout the day and perform. Producer, lighting, sound and camera directors discuss and design the final aspects of the show. Finish late evening (11pm??) Floor decals laid overnight.

Tuesday: final bands (those who gigged Monday night) arrive first thing (8am and set up) and second rehearsals for all bands begin at 10am and continue though til 7.30pm one at a time. Camera, lights, sound for each song along with the very complicated segways.

Jools writes and rehearses his links about 6pm, final show decisions are complete by 7:45pm.

Audience in at 8pm. 8.15 bands announced to crowd 8.20 record Jools link for BBC2 advert. 8:30 to 9:30 record Friday show which can include restarts for technical reasons. Must be complete by 9:50. (When I was there Hot Chip s PC failed to work first time - twice!) 9:50 set for live show between 10 & 10:30.

10:30 re-record any songs for cutting into Fridays show. (When I was there Dexys didn't complete their songs until way gone 11pm).

Set closed and studio stripped and complete by 2am.

A massive effort for a wonderful show.

Whilst I was there (all day Tuesday) I heard the director won't leave London as many of the big names are able to schedule an "easy" day for themselves whilst they head in or out of Europe using Heathrow / Gatwick hubs. Taking the show north won't attract the worldwide superstars that provide the range of acts.

ive had a few emails from the BBC to apply for Later.. tickets (i'm on a mailing list for such things), but as i live in Manchester it's not worth the travelling to London. though i have no idea if the show is suffering, moving to Salford (not Manchester /pedant wink.png ) wouldn't help that out. there's surely more potential audience/artists in London.

As someone who worked in Salford Quays for more than 13 years (in fact a tram stop away from Media City) I know it is classed as Salford but it is basically a suburb of Manchester these days.

I live in a suburb of Bolton that has more dining and shopping opportunities than Salford does as a city.

Let's be honest nobody goes out in Salford City Centre. Anybody who is going to the BBC ends up staying in Manchester dining in Manchester, drinking in Manchester so it is the Manchester scene that will benefit.

I

BTW I will deny ever saying this if my OH's relatives ask as they are all proud Salfordians and would probably disown me.

just got around to watching last weeks show (just in time for this weeks show). that Tame Impala track Elephant sounds like the Roobarb and Custard theme done by Gary Glitter.

this from 1.16

is essentially this

that is not a criticism.

Christ you're right.

Also, obvious as hell but still beautiful. And seems to be more poignant as she gets older.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTQ33hi2wE

Edited by The Nal

Christ you're right.

Also, obvious as hell but still beautiful.

my mate told me a story of Ibiza in the early 1990s, when Jose Padilla was still the resident at Cafe Del Mar. he was the DJ who, for better or worse, basically invented the 'chill out' genre. he played records as the sun set into the sea.

one day it clouded over before the sun sank, then it started raining. he played Nothing Compares 2 U, at just the right moment and had his audience on the beach in tears.

it's an amazing song, and she was excellent last week.

Great show tonight. Very impressed by The Palma Violets, even if they taste a bit soapy. The Weeknd is amazing, too. Lana is someone I can't quite understand my love for but it's there nonetheless. How could anyone not enjoy Soul II Soul?! All welcome in my book. PV in JPT, mid-afternoon; The Weeknd in East Dance; Soul II Soul on West Holts (headliners?); Lana somewhere in private!

So the last one at the BBC studios, really who cares? Apart from the history of it as along as the show continues i'm not fussed where it's recorded. As for the show:

Loved Soul to Soul, brought back some good memories back in the day, ok they might be a bit rusty but to here keep on Movin again was great. She reminds me now of Jil Scott a lady i love to listen to. I did watch it however a wonder what exactly Jazzie B does? Produce i suppose :)

Palma Voilets: Just ok for me, through in a bag of H and a super model and call them selves the Libertines? Just asking.....

The Weeknd : Just ok again, remastered Maxwell brought up to date, just not as good.

Lana Del Rey : Boring as dish water... like Costa Del Sol.

Tift Merritt / Tom Odell : Meh

Nona Hendryx : another old 70's singer brought back to life, al la the last few weeks, what is it with this?

Looks like the series is taking a break , hopefully it will bring some of the acts that might perform next summer, who knows who that might be?

• 5 weeks later...