Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

ghandi

I miss this topic, every year Jools has someone new that grabs me, " The mummers " in 2009, the likes of Jill Scott in the past , and too many others to mention. This week i was particulary taken by " Cosy ChestnuTT" a cross between Teddy Pendergrass and Marvin Gaye! Very good and would be great on the West Holts.

Other were:

The Killers : Good, but i have never really been a great fan

Policz : Good sound but could not understand a word

Valerie June : again shes from Tennessee and i like it but couldn't understand a word :)

Kristina Train : Nothing special

Loved Bloc Party last week, really good album " Four", i hope they play next year.

So far 6/16 of the series and on the whole loving it so far, one really poor week for me, but that's just me.

What do you think?

"yep, The Mummers on Jools got me to see them at Glasto.... so glad I did, they were lovely, and then the main writer (along with Raissa, the singer), Mark Horwood, committed suicide.... sad.png"

Really? I know that Mark Horwood commited siucide in his tree top studio where he recorded all of theiir tracks but the rest of the band came back with a new album " Mink Hollow rd" a year later, i was unaware the Riassa had also commited suicide? Surely this is wrong?

Its a seriously brilliant show. In series 41 over 20 years. I love it. My friend works on it and I went this year for the first time, he got me in during the final camera run throughs in the afternoon (Hot Chip, Ben Howard, Dexys, Rumer, June Tabor and Oysterband). A truely amazing effort goes into the details.

Regarding your question, I did rate Polica, Cody ChesnuTT & Kristina Train this week. Bloc Party, Alt-J, & Alice Cooper the week before. And Willy Moon the week before that.

When researching new bands I'm considering seeing (at Glasto and elsewhere), Jools on YouTube is always a great place to start.

Long may the show continue at the BBC HQ in LDN as more and more money is cut from budgets I fear it may get moved too far away from Heathrow / Gatwick that allows the big touring bands to schedule a "rest day" at the BBC. It'll fail elsewhere.

Support it, share it or lose it.

• Upvote 1

yep, The Mummers on Jools got me to see them at Glasto.... so glad I did, they were lovely, and then the main writer (along with Raissa, the singer), Mark Horwood, committed suicide.... sad.png

I thought The Killers were hilariously bad this week... I just don't get them.

I haven't seen them on Jools yet but I did see them in Birmingham on 1st November and I must say, they were brilliant! Truly a brilliant gig, probably the fourth best gig/set I have have watched. They could definitely headline Glasto.

Are you talking about the Mummers or Killers? A big shout if you are talking about the Mummers, they were half way down the billing on the Avalon stage in 2009, one would suspect if they were to perform again it would be the same as they were not there in 2010 or 2011, obviously due to other reasons, but as a headliner?

Are you talking about the Mummers or Killers? A big shout if you are talking about the Mummers, they were half way down the billing on the Avalon stage in 2009, one would suspect if they were to perform again it would be the same as they were not there in 2010 or 2011, obviously due to other reasons, but as a headliner?

No I was talking about The Killers, should probably have said that :P I've never seen the Mummers but with all the rave they are getting here I may take a look.

Lol, not sure about the Killers, some great tracks but Brandon Flowers is a bit of a nob IMO. Though i could listen to them, and my brother and group i am going with love them, i doubt i would be there to watch them.

I miss this topic, every year Jools has someone new that grabs me, " The mummers " in 2009, the likes of Jill Scott in the past , and too many others to mention. This week i was particulary taken by " Cosy ChestnuTT" a cross between Teddy Pendergrass and Marvin Gaye! Very good and would be great on the West Holts.

If Jill Scott played Glastonbury 2013 I think it might make my year. Love her!

This week on Jools;

Soundgarden ;

I missed them in their pomp, not a band i'd heard before, i really enjoyed them and wouldn't mind if they popped up ay Glasto, don't know where they'd fit though.

Two door cinema club;

I first saw them in the Queens head in 2010, a really good band and seems as though they have progressed their sound a bit since, saw them again in 2011 early on pyramid on the Friday. And to think that they didn't even start with a drummer and used a drum machine!

Bats for Lashes : Not bad, Natasha Khans got a good voice, i saw them support Radiohead in 2008 and didn't fancy watching her in 2009 on the Other stage , i don't think i'd go out of my way. She's alright though :)

Trey Songz : Not for me really, good second song and can't deny he has a good voice but i prefer Cozy ChestnuTT from last week.

As for the others, pretty Meh really!

Next week is a good one, i am really interested to see how Ellie Goulding is sounding, i thought she was great in the JP stage in 2010. The Foals are playing as well, love them. Band of Horses who i am not really into and the Legend that is Jimmy Page. It should be good.

I heard Soundgarden were on it on Jools. Saw them at Download this year and they were one of the best bands I saw all year!! I think if anywhere's getting them it's Reading though. To heavy for Eavis.... and too much like Pearl Jam!

too much like PEARL JAM wot you like old son apart from mat cameron they are totally different bands ...

sound wise SOUNDGARDEN are much more of a retro heavy sound PEARL JAM are defiantly not that not nowadays old son they may have come from the same place but they have moved apart musically over the last 20 years .

and just for the record PEARL JAM would be GREAT at glasto beach.gif

too much like PEARL JAM wot you like old son apart from mat cameron they are totally different bands ...

sound wise SOUNDGARDEN are much more of a retro heavy sound PEARL JAM are defiantly not that not nowadays old son they may have come from the same place but they have moved apart musically over the last 20 years .

and just for the record PEARL JAM would be GREAT at glasto beach.gif

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't suggesting they're that similar to listeners like you and I...... But to Mr Eavis? All he hears is Roskilde. I wish he could look past it but I really get the impression that he's (slightly understandably) terrified of the same happening on his lovely farm!

i like Later.. it shows me stuff i wouldn't normally seek out, but my word Mr Holland makes my skin crawl! what is the point of him? to inflict his piano playing upon a random artist every week and to conduct some of the most cringeworthy, arse kissing interviews ("so were you a fan of James Bond before you wrote the theme tune?" he asked of Chris Cornell this week).

scrap him, stick a couple more songs into the freed up air time and i'm struggling to see how it wouldn't be a better programme.

I would agree that Jools's interviews are cringworthy, which is why i always watch on play back ( sky plus), i can skip the inaneness of some of it and just listen to the artists. Jools is an icon though, how many series? It is one of the only true music shows left on air and to change it would be criminal in my opinion.

It may have become less edgy over the years but is still a great watch.

I would agree that Jools's interviews are cringworthy, which is why i always watch on play back ( sky plus), i can skip the inaneness of some of it and just listen to the artists. Jools is an icon though, how many series? It is one of the only true music shows left on air and to change it would be criminal in my opinion.

It may have become less edgy over the years but is still a great watch.

yeah i agree it's one of the few shows of it's kind on tv, that's why it seems a shame that valuable air time is clogged up with Jools. i'm afraid i don't see him as an icon, just an irritant, and i don't think the show has ever been edgy (not that that is a criticism at all).

like yourself i watch it back later so i can skip bits, but it'd be nice if i didn't have to.

This week, we had:

Band of horses : I have read a lot of people on this site bigging them up. Not for me. I am not really tthat keen on Hill billy rock.

Foals: I really like the Foals and hope that they will make an apperence in 2013. Live life forever is a really good record, the new record sounds different but to me with them you have to listen to it a few times, then it all falls into place. I liked the first track they played.

Ellie Goulding : i've got to say how dissapointed i am with her latest effort. I saw her in the JP on a sunny afternoon in 2010 and thought she was really good, she waited two years to produce an album of lavatory music!

Luisa Sobral: Very sexy sound and look, one to look out for in the future, i liked it a lot :)

Larry Graham: Now we are talking, a right throw back to the Jazz funk days of the eighties . Loved it, and like Kool and the Gang would be a great hit headlining the West Holts.

Rodrigues: There was a reason why he never made it in the UK in the 70's, and it's easy to see why.

Next week:

Biffy Clyro, Sinaead O'connor, Tam Impala, Courtney Pine, Lau. ........ I shall have the sky plus on fast forward for most of it i reckon.

Band of Horses where good but I'm not fussed on their latest album as its more country than rock, going to see them in mancland tonight.

didn't like The Foals first album but liked what they did on the show so might go back to that.

I was really surprised with Ellie Goulding, was expecting something a bit poo and it was great.

look forward to seeing Tame Impala next week but will put my fingers in my ears when Biffy Clyro is on, can't stand em.

Band of Horses where good but I'm not fussed on their latest album as its more country than rock, going to see them in mancland tonight.

didn't like The Foals first album but liked what they did on the show so might go back to that.

I was really surprised with Ellie Goulding, was expecting something a bit poo and it was great.

look forward to seeing Tame Impala next week but will put my fingers in my ears when Biffy Clyro is on, can't stand em.

Tame Impala - hope they play Elephant!

Biffy - I'm interested how they cope with a double album, so will tune in for that

Jools - He isn't the greatest presenter, but 100% for actually creating a worthwhile music show, few and far between!