BoomTown 2013

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another clever move by Boomtown:

Split the music arenas into two, at the top and the bottom of the hill - and then charge people to stand any chance of seeing the acts they've already committed 140 quid to see.

I also like the (not so headline) news that it's now 30,000 people. It was stated previously that the capacity would not rise again this year. Lion's Den is bigger, but are the other stages also bigger to cope with another 8k (I think) people.

Clearly the lineups are getting bigger each year, but at what cost?

• 4 weeks later...

I thought they'd have gone massive on a headliner though - Manu Chao or Damian Marley or something....

I had a chat with the organisers about 3 months ago, and they actually said they planned to downsize the bands they were booking rather than upsize.

Personally I'm looking at the line-up and seeing it in about the same place.

fair enough I suppose - I think they've established enough of a presence, and sold a lot of tickets early doors, so they don't need the massive names (ie your headliners for a 30k event) to tempt new people along - those punters who have already been will do that for them by telling friends etc

The genius i guess is in investing in the unique infrastructure that can then be built on year on year.

I had a chat with the organisers about 3 months ago, and they actually said they planned to downsize the bands they were booking rather than upsize.

Personally I'm looking at the line-up and seeing it in about the same place.

their rationale for not going for bigger acts is that there's just too few of them in the genres they present - so if they went there, they'd quickly find they had no one of that large appeal to book.

To me that smacks of a very smart realisation, and it's refreshing for a promoter not to just want to get forever bigger. :)

What bugs me on a personal level about that is that it does sort of cement in place no acts ever really getting bigger. The acts need the big platform no less than a big platform being offered to acts.

they seem to be very smart - It seems the development over the last few years has been pulled off excellently.

Getting Arcadia was massive too. If that continues I can't see them ever struggling to shift tickets.

Only thing is that you're already getting repetition of lineup.... but hard to avoid with those genres, like you say.

Are you going to pop along this year Neil?

The line-up is already quite repetitive, I would say most of the acts have appeared at least once in the past 4 years but that's what I kind of like about the festival - its a chance to see all the smaller festival circuit bands every year on a bigger stage, not just tucked away in a corner somewhere - as well as a few random gems that Boomtown tend to throw in!

• 2 weeks later...

It says on the website that you're only allowed 16 cans and no spirits to be brought in. Are these rules seriously enforced or will you be fine to take a couple of crates in for personal use? Regardless, what are pint prices like on the site?

Thanks!