Latitude 2013

Gingerbond

Had good fun working as a CAT, although gutted there were a couple of times I slept through bands after recovering from shifts. Still got to see the acts I'd been most looking forward to though, most of whom were excellent. Loved Kraftwerk, but felt the 3D effects weren't particularly great, only a couple of particularly impressive effects and overall probably not worth the hassle I went through to get glasses (and the organisation of that was poor, speaking from a staff POV). Got to see Lanegan again who was excellent as always, with (most of) YYY's, Beach House and Grizzly Bear particularly ace.

I was working as an Oxfam Volunteer! Had an absolutely great weekend, met so many lovely people and saw lots of great music!

Few things I would change:

- More toilets, there was none near the main entrance or near any of the bar areas.

- Move the camping village within reach of the day ticket holders - we had so many requests of people wanting to go to the Oxfam shop etc.. but we couldnt let them.

- Make the comedy arena bigger

- Make the organisers apologise to Efestivals for what happened this year (mistake with a Press release)

Other than those moans, I had a brilliant time!

Anybody want to make some guesses for next year's headliners then? I reckon if Friendly Fires release another successful record then they could be given the bump up likes Foals this year, The XX would fit the festival too, even though I'm not a fan. Portishead were a big want for lots of people this year, so I'd guess Festival Republic will try to get them on the bill, My Bloody Valentine would be a great booking, but as a Radio 6 headliner rather than Obelisk. Has the Strokes' star fallen enough that they're a Latitude headliner rather than R&L now? If so I'd rather they stay away. New Order and Primal Scream have both got to be possible, and the pie-in-the-sky wishes of Bjork or Kate Bush would still be more than welcome. If they break with tradition and repeat headliners, then Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, Belle And Sebastian, The National or Sigur Ros would all be welcome back.

Anybody want to make some guesses for next year's headliners then? I reckon if Friendly Fires release another successful record then they could be given the bump up likes Foals this year, The XX would fit the festival too, even though I'm not a fan. Portishead were a big want for lots of people this year, so I'd guess Festival Republic will try to get them on the bill, My Bloody Valentine would be a great booking, but as a Radio 6 headliner rather than Obelisk. Has the Strokes' star fallen enough that they're a Latitude headliner rather than R&L now? If so I'd rather they stay away. New Order and Primal Scream have both got to be possible, and the pie-in-the-sky wishes of Bjork or Kate Bush would still be more than welcome. If they break with tradition and repeat headliners, then Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, Belle And Sebastian, The National or Sigur Ros would all be welcome back.

I'm going to take a punt & go with:

Bombay Bicycle Club, The XX, Manic Street Preachers.

With Goldfrapp, Boards of Canada, Patti Smith & Keane also on the bill.

I reckon

The XX, Flaming Lips, and Manic Street Preachers

I was torn between replacing the Manics on mine with any one of the following: Flaming Lips, Pixies, Morrissey, Massive Attack or Portishead. I guess that's the beauty of a festival like Latitude though, unlike R&L it's hard to predict what the end product will actually be.

I think it'll be something like this:

Obelisk Arena:

Friendly Fires The XX Manic Street Preachers

Bombay Bicycle Club Bat For Lashes Goldfrapp

Tame Impala Neutral Milk Hotel Johnny Marr

Passenger Deerhunter Dexys

London Grammar MS MR Savages

Special Guest: Lou Reed

Word Arena:

Warpaint Keane Boards of Canada

Flying Lotus Patti Smith Four Tet

Polica Mount Kimbie Gold Panda

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Good shouts on Boards Of Canada and Neutral Milk Hotel, it's likely FR will have a serious go at getting either of them. Patti Smith on the bill is a seriously big want for me at any festival. I don't know why I didn't think of The Flaming Lips, they're about as fitting to the festival as you can get.

I can see FR having Foster the People, Friendly Fires, Bombay Bicycle Club and (sadly) The Vaccines on their radar for both R+L and Latitude. Vaccines and Friendly Fires both of which would more than likely headline, not convinced on Bombay yet.

As for the rarer acts I don't have much of a clue, as is the nature of Latitude. Neutral Milk Hotel would be very nice.

I'm definitely going to try and go to Latitude next year though regardless of the line up, it gets increasingly tempting every year but I always end up going somewhere else. If The Vaccines headline I'm going to have a tougher time convincing my mates though. :P

Oh and The Horrors will be back. New album and Latitude loves Faris.

Edited by dentalplan

Latitude have held an online survey, completing it enters you into a draw to win tickets for next year (which I found out after purchasing next year's ticket); http://www.voodoores.co.uk/republic2013/ It's alright when it's asking you stuff about the festival, even asks you who you'd like to see next year (Patti Smith, The Twilight Sad and Neil Young thank you, Melvin), but when you reach the social networking section it turns banal as shit.

Latitude have held an online survey, completing it enters you into a draw to win tickets for next year (which I found out after purchasing next year's ticket); http://www.voodoores.co.uk/republic2013/ It's alright when it's asking you stuff about the festival, even asks you who you'd like to see next year (Patti Smith, The Twilight Sad and Neil Young thank you, Melvin), but when you reach the social networking section it turns banal as shit.

There I was plugging away with the most nonsensical survey on social media conceivable, expecting them to ask for my suggestions for acts afterwards and then suddenly 'Thanks for completing the survey'. Shit.

Cheers for the link though, I'm sure most Latitude fans will have suggest Pixies for me anyway.

Edited by dentalplan

You didn't get the question on what acts you'd like to see? That's balls, man. I bet it means shit all though, probably loads of kidz will vote on it and next year the Lumineers will headline by popular demand. Internet, why must you spoil it for the grown-ups?

It's alright when it's asking you stuff about the festival, even asks you who you'd like to see next year (Patti Smith, The Twilight Sad and Neil Young thank you, Melvin), but when you reach the social networking section it turns banal as shit.

One of my three votes was for Neil Young too. Unfortunately, it will no doubt be ignored along with my negativity about social media, where there seemed to be several pages without a box to enter 'couldn't care less'. 'Banal as shit' is way understating how idiotic it was.

One of my three votes was for Neil Young too. Unfortunately, it will no doubt be ignored along with my negativity about social media, where there seemed to be several pages without a box to enter 'couldn't care less'. 'Banal as shit' is way understating how idiotic it was.

I'm pretty sure they wont be booking Neil Young on our say-so, but the sorts of acts mentioned will still indicate to Festival Republic that punters such as you and I have less... current tastes, while I never expect Shakey to be dropping by Henham Park anytime soon, it wont hurt our chances of, say, John Cale.

I'm pretty sure they wont be booking Neil Young on our say-so, but the sorts of acts mentioned will still indicate to Festival Republic that punters such as you and I have less... current tastes.

From memory, the question was about who would you most like to see at Latitude next year. My first 2 answers were Neil Young and Pulp, both of whom are amazing live acts, and would wow even those who didn't previously know their music, and certainly be proper headliners. If either one was announced, I wouldn't have to look at the rest of the line-up before buying a ticket.

As to current tastes, the third act I put down was Hero Fisher who played on the Alcove stage this year and she and her band were one of my absolute highlights of the whole festival. Since getting back home, I've tried to find what she has recorded that is available, and it seems to amount to precisely one single/video, and it was on the strength of sampling it that had made me decide to watch her rather than any of the 3 other bands that I also wanted to see who were on at the same time as her. Disbelieving that someone so good could have so little 'background' (one single only, no gigs listed), I listened to an interview with her, where she reveals that her influences include Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen and ...... Neil Young. So punters such as you and I may have been listening to the likes of Neil Young for a while longer, but he's still influencing current tastes and, remembering the impact of his Glastonbury set (admittedly a few years ago now) which gob-smacked a lot of the younger audience, catering for them.