Latitude 2013

Gingerbond

I've just found out I'm going (will be working at the Roller Disco), so I've been looking at the list of things you can't take into the campsite. This may be a stupid question, but it states 'spray cans', does this include deodorant sprays and the like?

I've just found out I'm going (will be working at the Roller Disco), so I've been looking at the list of things you can't take into the campsite. This may be a stupid question, but it states 'spray cans', does this include deodorant sprays and the like?

I assume so, fire hazard kind of thing. Festival Republic have the same rules for Reading and Leeds, but it's not really enforced to be honest, just tuck it in your bag and you'll be fine.

So what's changed there? I haven't been to Latitude in some time,,, I'm working there too so will be in from Tuesday morning...

ps mainly hang around on /forum/22-chat/ ;)

Edited by jamiejc

Afternoon all,

Wanting some recommendations on bands.

we are there on the saturday and sunday and so far def want to see Richard Ashcroft, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Jessie Ware, on saturday

Bobby Womack, Rudimental, Disclosure & Foals on Sunday

We both like a mixture of music, mostly mainstream radio 1/NME type, from your Ed Sheeran singer/songwriter to bands like Foals, Kasabian, Foos etc.

We also want to discover new bands/artists but who would you suggest we see.

We are also taking our 10yr old boy for his first major festival (Only took him to Ben & Jerrys Festival before on Clapham Common)

Cheers

There's a Ben & Jerry's festival on in Clapham Common?!

Not too sure if there is any sarcasm in there :-)

if not.....

Yeah, wasn't on last year due to the olympics, not too sure if its on this year, usually in London and Mancehster.

No camping or anything, In 2011 they had Ocean Colour Scene, Ash & Fun Loving Criminals plus 4/5 other smaller bands on.

Richard Ashcroft's set was amazing.

So simple. Him, guitar, mic. Done

Also saw daughter. Steve mason. everything everything. Gaz coombes and others from the smaller stages.

white denim were brilliant and Will be getting there album this week.

That's been the best thing about Latitude. Seeing lesser known bands (I'm one if them radio 1 listening lot)

I've only heard of daughter. Everything everything but not giving them a real listen.

Looking forward to seeing disclosure, rudimental and foals today. But also watch the bands that have been recommended like superfood and will probably try and watch some of the 1975

Any other suggestions for today?

Edited by lendan

Really enjoyed yesterday, can't believe I finally got to see my childhood heroes, Kraftwerk. They were brilliant, and I was really surprised and impressed how the crowd got into the whole Kraftwerk thing. I thought the crowd were great, great 3D, great sound and a great atmosphere. Legends

Loved seeing Jagwar Ma, again, these guys deserve to be big. Also enjoyed The Mark Lanegan Band and YYYs

I was also surprised how much I enjoyed Hot Chip, having seen them so many times before. I stayed watching them longer than I planned, but still managed to slip off and catch Richard Ashcroft play my two favourite tunes of his, History and Lucky Man, before making my way back to the Obelisk to get a decent spot for the the mighty Kraftwerk

Great day

Very much enjoyed the festival. Lovely atmosphere throughout and as a first time goer I loved the site and layout. Was a bit too hot on the first day but perfect weather past that. Food was lovely too.

With regards to music, I was very disappointed with Foals, sounded worse than when I saw them earlier this year. Think it may have been too soon. Didn't enjoy Kraftwerk too much but I reckon it's just not my cup of tea, managed to dash over to Purity Ring and loved that anyway.

Saw plenty of terrific small bands too, special mentions go to Wolf Alice and Drenge who were incredible, as were Japandroids.

Also enjoyed MONEY, Jessie Ware, Local Natives, Tallest Man On Earth, Veronica Falls, Jagwar Ma, Bipolar Sunshine, Joanna Gruesome and DIIV.

Will definitely be back next year if the lineup is strong.

Great festival this year, although the dust got everywhere! (The shower last night after getting in was so good!)

Anyway, highlights for me were Richard Ashcroft, The Drugs Don't Work was fantastic, Eddie Izzard and Daniel Kitson's 'Work in Progress' on Friday morning, a great start to the weekend.

Honorable mentions to Seann Walsh, Marcel Lucont and Katherine Ryan in the comedy tent, Kraftwerk, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Steve Mason, Chvrches, Hookworms, Mum, and the two songs of John Grant I managed to catch! In fact the only average set I saw all weekend was Bloc Party but having seen them a few times they have never really lived up to their first album tour so was to be expected.

Forgot about Pappy's in the Literature tent on Friday night! Sooo funny! :)

Forgot about Ed Harcourt in the Film and Music tent too!!

Edited by cdm22

I had a great festival. Had enjoyed Latitude the only other time I had gone (2010 I think?) but this was much better - line-up more to my taste and it seemed a lot more chilled and less busy than I remember it. Yeah Yeah Yeahs into Hot Chip (with time for a bar/toilet/ Richard Ashcroft playing Bittersweet Symphony break) into Kraftwerk then listening to some early 90s dance in the woods till 3 is as good a night as a festival as I can remember in a while.

Most of my lot stayed back and to the side for Kraftwerk (we had ages 1 to 70 with us) and didn't really get it. They are a bit of an acquired taste and the 3D part was a bit pointless if you weren't in line with the stage but for me (who did go fairly close in) they were absolutely brilliant.

I must say having had a great but rather tiring Glastonbury where I either spent too much time crossing the site or didn't bother to do so and consequently missed some great stuff it was so nice at Latitude to be able to see everything. Really enjoyed Japandroids and Duologue too. Happy to hear Jagwar Ma went down well, missed them as they clashed but planning to catch them at another fest this Summer...

I really loved the whole festival, the stars really seemed to align for us this year in terms of the drive from Manchester to Suffolk being relatively easy, the weather being great, not losing or breaking anything, not having to worry so much about money and having a great group of people to go to the festival with, but all of this was eclipsed by what a wonderful attraction Festival Republic put on for us this year, I can safely say it's my favourite ever festival experience. Last year I felt I let myself down by lazing around too much and sticking to what I knew instead of trying new things, this year I took the biggest bite of the Latitude cake that I possibly could, and crammed in a sizable and delicious chunk of each layer. I took the time to see some of my all time favourite musicians put on some superb shows, ate some gorgeous food, had my every emotion tickled in the poetry tent, got some belly laughs in the comedy tent, had my mind expanded in the film & music tent and saw some wonderfully entertaining theater, and after all that I danced long into the nights!

Big thank you to Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Hot Chip, Cat Power, Bobby Womack & Band, Steve Mason, Serafina Steer, Bo Ningen, Laura Mvula, Foals, Kraftwerk, Bloc Party, Chvrches, Grizzly Bear, Martin Newell, Russel J Turner, Bohdan Piasecki, Luke Wright, the good people of Bowiefest, The Rubberbandits, Alan Moore and Mitch Jenkins, Germane Greer, Dylan Moran, The Imaginary Menagerie, The Hurly Burly Cafe, The Flaming Cactus, all the bar staff, stage staff, food staff, security staff, Oxfam volunteers, Greenpeace volunteers, all the organisers, and anybody else who contributed to making the festival so great! How long until next year?