Latitude 2013

Gingerbond

absolutely incredible line up. will be back for my 3rd year. surprised at the lack of Haim and Devendra Banhart though, especially as Devendra is playing in london on the thursday.

still, i notice there are 3 spaces to be filled on the obelisk on friday and sunday. I can see Haim opening the stage on one of the days and devendra slotting in below local natives.

It actually doesn't seem unlikely that the special guest is bigger than Foals. Ofcourse they can't put 'special guest' as headliner for commercial reasons, and right under the headliner actually is a pretty big spot for an act we don't know about yet. In comparison: when Them Crooked Vultures did Reading/Leeds as a surprise act, they played at 4pm, before You Me At Six. And the Glastonbury acts always play in the late afternoon, while they usually are headline worthy.

• Upvote 1

Even T pisses all over Reading this year, now we know where Melvin's been focusing his efforts.

Don't be so silly!

Great lineup! But i'd mostly go for the music and I don't think I can quite justify 190 quid for it....If it was 30/40 quid cheaper I'd consider it but its almost the price of Glastonbury/Reading.... (I'd enjoy the other bits like the comedy tent/poetry if I went...but its not something I'd pay for!).

Will wait and see if Bloc Party/YYYs(The exclusive could be a hoax) turn up at Glasto/Reading I think!

Edited by LondonTom

It's a good line-up, but I'll echo the sentiments that it's pretty pricey compared to other festivals. Surprised that Yeah Yeah Yeahs are an exclusive booking, I thought they'd pop up at Glastonbury as well.

Prices are creeping up for this sized festival and is on a par with similar sized festivals. How much is bestival? Which is of a similar size.

Even smaller fests prices are getting higher, end of the road for example at the minute is £165 and thats got a capacity of something lik 12k.

Perhaps they realise people are ditching the major festivals like reading/leeds/titp and iow and can get away with it now they have built a core audience up.

Very dangerous game though.

Good points well made.

Latitude is only £12 cheaper than R&L, if Latitude floats your boat then it's obviously going to be better value than a Reading ticket but it seems off that a festival that's less then half the size with fewer stages and generally smaller acts is so close in price.

I would imagine that FR are trying to keep R&L as cheap as possible as their target audience is teenagers while the 'festival families' that are targeted by Latitude are probably assumed to have more cash and happier to pay a bit more.

Makes sense I guess, but like you say a dangerous game.

Edited by mrtourette

Latitude has a lot more to it than 'pure' music festivals like R&L.

It has comedy, literature, theatre, dance, poetry, etc... The comedy line-up I think is second to none amongst festivals, and I think its the combination of a very decent comedy line-up, semi decent music line-up and a general better arranged and more attractive site that means they attract a different, more family orientated, clientèle which can still attract a relatively high ticket price. I think part of what make Latitude great is it is a 'bimbling' festival. There may only be one or two things you definately want to see each day, but most people love just bimbling around the site bumping into things they have never see or heard before, which they find interesting, and often not music - the literature, poetry and arts stuff is really very good

It has comedy, literature, theatre, dance, poetry, etc... The comedy line-up I think is second to none amongst festivals, and I think its the combination of a very decent comedy line-up, semi decent music line-up and a general better arranged and more attractive site that means they attract a different, more family orientated, clientèle which can still attract a relatively high ticket price. I think part of what make Latitude great is it is a 'bimbling' festival. There may only be one or two things you definately want to see each day, but most people love just bimbling around the site bumping into things they have never see or heard before, which they find interesting, and often not music - the literature, poetry and arts stuff is really very good

Totally agree with this, it's why we changed from Reading to Latitude.

I'm hoping there's still weekend tickets available after the Glastonbury resale in April - we can only afford one festival this year so will go for Latitude if we fail on the 21st!

I just went for the day last year, & felt a bit pressured to get round & see the whole site, so if we go this year it'll be nice to explore at a slower pace, and chill out a bit more!

what you mean it's more like a real festival than a gig in a field.

• Upvote 1

Well I've already got tickets (more for the experience than the bands to be fair) and it looks like I'll be Spotifying a lot of music over the coming months! I know I'm a bit out of touch but I've never even heard of half of the acts on the line-up. I was hoping for at least one exciting headliner but none of these are really doing it for me. The 3D Kraftwerk will be kinda cool I suppose.

Beth Orton and Villagers are the only two acts on my "must-see" list so far. Where should I start with anyone else?

what you mean it's more like a real festival than a gig in a field.

Exactly, at Latitude the money is more wisely spent, can you really get at Latitude for providing a top quality site for your money with plenty to see and do, when R&L are blowing their entire load for Eminem to mime? I expect the people with niggles about the price compared to R&L would not be so bothered if they walked round one of the R&L sites for an hour and then spent an hour walking around Latitude.

Tee hee, just went to Norwich Arts Festival and got my tickets for the Saturday.

If you live in the area, I would strongly recommend buying your tickets at one of the walk-in shops mentioned ion the Latitude website. 2 adult + 2 child tickets (aged 5-12) cost £165 in total compared with £188 if purchased on-line. Nice £23 saving, and I have the tickets in my hand now, so no worrying about the postie!

Exactly, at Latitude the money is more wisely spent, can you really get at Latitude for providing a top quality site for your money with plenty to see and do, when R&L are blowing their entire load for Eminem to mime? I expect the people with niggles about the price compared to R&L would not be so bothered if they walked round one of the R&L sites for an hour and then spent an hour walking around Latitude.

You expect wrong. It depends on your personal preferences, I'd much rather walk around Reading than Latitude.