Working

Guest DL50

You pay a deposit which is equivalent to or greater than the face value of the ticket, if you ditch your work when onsite you don't get this back and are blacklisted from working in the future. Different roles inside the fence are controlled by different people or organisations, all of whom have their own rules.

Oxfam - Festivals are dynamic environments and run 24 hours a day. So, at most of our festivals our shifts run 24 hours a day and you will usually have one daytime shift, one afternoon/evening, and one overnight shift. Your shifts may mean you have to get up early, miss music and catch up on sleep during the day.

3 shifts over weekend, not as good as not working but better than not being there

http://www.oxfam.org.../what-is/shifts

EDIT - As an Oxfam steward you will be required to complete three, eight and a quarter-hour shifts over the duration of the festival, normally across a 24-hour shift system.

Edited by showmethestones

I have worked as a litter picker in 2005, 10 & 11 and may well do the same next year. I did the early shift (6am to noon) Thursday to Monday. Yes it's an early start but meant that I had the rest of the day to myself and it can be very hard work. You pay a deposit and if you do all your shifts you get that back. You also get 2 meal tickets for every shift completed. I worked in 2010 and 11 on the West Holt's team which was good. There were people that didn't turn up so were obviously using it as a free ride (blooming annoying it is too) and some that did a shift or too and then turned up late or not at all- they were sometimes given the option of doing a PM shift in the recycling centre.

I like the idea of working as part of the recycling team - partly because I think the site after the festival is a shock to the system. There aren't any words to explain how much litter people leave! Is there the chance to stop and clean up the site afterwards? Is this part of the recycling aspect of working Glastonbury?

I'd happily take an extra day or two off work to help tidy the place to let the cows get there fields back!

I work for one of the contracted security companies on site and have done for over 20 years. This is paid work and is long hours of 12+ hour shifts.

I've decided to work it again next year as been the last 5 times as a punter, and it will 20 years since I first worked Glastonbury in 1992.

This is also so I get about 2 weeks work which will help me fund a couple of European festivals in July.

I like the idea of working as part of the recycling team - partly because I think the site after the festival is a shock to the system. There aren't any words to explain how much litter people leave! Is there the chance to stop and clean up the site afterwards? Is this part of the recycling aspect of working Glastonbury?

I'd happily take an extra day or two off work to help tidy the place to let the cows get there fields back!

A friend worked one or two shifts for a security thing then left, think it was in 2005.

Not sure of the details, but think it was working for the festival it's self - pretty sure it wasn't a big security company anyway.

When he went to put his tent up he specifically said he didn't want it there, but was forced to have it in line.

Midway through the festival he got a river running through his tent with a lot of his stuff ruined.

They did try and stop him taking his remaining stuff out of the workers camping area, but acqueased when he asked exactly how much use he was going to be and what he was going to do.

Didn't go back to his last shift/two shifts and didn't have any come back. But hasn't tried to work there since.

And yes; sure you don't get a ticket for working after. Supposed to be a good craic with the workers there and may even try it next year, depending on what else is going on.

Have had a 'lead' for working the main festival, but while I'd happily work other festivals, Glastonbury has so much on that I'd prefer to have as much time as I could to enjoy it.

Edited by geebus

I've had a look at these but there is no mention of an entrance ticket. It looks to be more of proper job rather than volunteering to do a few shifts in exchange for a ticket

I'm in the same boat as DL50.

I've sent an email off to Lizard and Oasis. Lizard responded with a 2011 email heading saying they were full, so maybe I'm too early for 2013 and Oasis are full already and have therefore put me on the reserve list.

I'll see if oxfam get back to me, otherwise it looks like a fallow year again for me !