Backdoor, IP change

Guest dan05delaney

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an self confessed "IT Geek" can someone explain what happened and why this worked for so many people... my tired, stressed mind can't work it out this early on a Sunday

See Tickets messed up the DNS entries for glastonbury.seetickets.com (the dns entry is what directs a URL entry to an IP address) - and the result was that all requests were going to one server when they should have gone to two servers.

By editing the hosts file it forced the request to go to the unused server - which was why it worked so easily for everyone that tried (cos only those who edited the hosts file were hitting that server).

Mid-sale, See Tickets sorted out their dns entries so that it no longer gave an advantage (and probably gave a disadvantage cos more people would have been hitting that server).

From what I have seen and read.....

It looks like when the site was published it had a typo in the IP address of one of the servers. 192 instead of 194, so all hits were only being directed to 1 server instead of 2. By changing your host file to point directly at the correct IP address I think we were hitting a server that was hardly being used and so we were getting straight in.

Seetickets fixed this around 10am by updating their DNS to the correct IP address after this it was harder to get in because the load was being spread.

Luckily I got my tickets the old fashioned way, lots of refreshing pages, but I completely missed this DNS workaround. For next time - how was it discovered, and was there a separate thread for it that i missed while refreshing all those tabs?