Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

38 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In the hour leading up to their set in 2013, I'd never felt an atmosphere like that at Glastonbury, not before or since. I'd not really experienced the feeling (of the criminally overused cliche) of the air being "electric"...until then. I knew we were in for something incredible when I saw the "Pyramid Field Full" light up signs, resulting in us having to find an alternative route to the top of the field, well beyond the solitary tree. It was a terrible position, sound-wise but there was something strangely magical about witnessing history unfold in front of us. 100,000 of us, in the palm of their hand. A real honour to be there, even if Charlie didn't want to be. Wonderful. Rest in Peace, Charlie. 

100% - I’ve never experienced that kind of atmosphere on the farm before and don’t think we ever will again. That Saturday was just pure electric everywhere, we got to the pyramid early doors, so were in the pit well before primal scream.

I remember being hoisted on to a mate’s shoulders just before they came on to get a look up towards the farm and the sheer size of that crowd still gives me goosebumps to this day, truly felt like it could be a genuine moment in musical history… then they proceeded with THAT two hour set and cemented the fact. Incredible scenes. 

Sad sad news.

Others have said it better than me but that Saturday night, in fact the whole day, in 2013 was incredible. The hour or so before the Stones came on was the most amazing atmosphere. The Pyramid field before a big headliner has a charge and a vibration you don’t get anywhere else but it was especially pronounced that night. And then they absolutely nailed it, seemed to really enjoy themselves and that fed into the crowd.

A magical night that it was a privilege to be a part of. RIP Charlie.

• Upvote 1

Another reminder for us to go and see these legends play live as much as we can. One day, there won't be any left from such a wonderful era.

I do hope I get to see the Stones play just one more time. Been fortunate to have seen them half a dozen times but the last show in Cardiff a few years ago was absolutely incredible. I just kept shaking my head of how they still had so much energy to produce that kind of show. I still get chills thinking about the glorious crescendo of Midnight Rambler. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Stones were the first headliner I saw on the Pyramid, at my first Glasto (having swerved Arctics on Friday for Chic), and my whole experience of that weekend is tinged with the anticipation of that night. The Stones t-shirts everywhere you looked, the covers being played, the Jagger-off dance competitions that just seemed to keep springing up at the drop of a hat. 

I was in that crowd with my oldest friend, both of us huge Stones fans, and we just couldn't really believe our luck. We cried and we danced and we screamed and when they went into Tumbling Dice toward the end of the set I must have jumped four feet straight in the air. 

Not sure it can be put better than in Charlie's own words from Emily's post - it really was, a great day. RIP Charlie.

I saw him at the Jazz Club in Soho in March 2013 doing what he loved best in the tiniest of venues. (Before he went on stage, I popped to the loo and this short old guy stood in the next urinal - the most famous person I've pee'd with!)

The 2013 headline act was amazing, I was so lucky, just before Elvis Costello came on I thought I'd take a punt and walk towards the front. To my amazement I made it all the way, gaps appeared in front of me - to the barrier, front and centre. My mate had been there all afternoon and I found her. No good shots of Charlie, but a decent one of Jagger.

They cannot possibly be the same without him - but they're a cut-throat bunch, they'll carry on.

2013-06-29 22.18.32.jpg

2013-06-29 22.04.09.jpg

11 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Sad sad news.

Others have said it better than me but that Saturday night, in fact the whole day, in 2013 was incredible. The hour or so before the Stones came on was the most amazing atmosphere. The Pyramid field before a big headliner has a charge and a vibration you don’t get anywhere else but it was especially pronounced that night. And then they absolutely nailed it, seemed to really enjoy themselves and that fed into the crowd.

A magical night that it was a privilege to be a part of. RIP Charlie.

Agree, but i'd go as far as saying that the atmosphere around them started the moment i walked in on the Wednesday. All weekend people had stones shirts on, stones flags, and we even went to a Mick Jagger off in front of the pyramid where we danced like Mick for half an hour to a boombox. Great times.

That 2013 set radiated energy and excitement and I was only watching it on TV. It was almost like the size and majesty of Glasto finally met a band big enough to equal it. 

Was lucky enough to see them in 2018 and they were an absolute riot from start to finish. So glad I saw them now! 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Agree, but i'd go as far as saying that the atmosphere around them started the moment i walked in on the Wednesday. All weekend people had stones shirts on, stones flags, and we even went to a Mick Jagger off in front of the pyramid where we danced like Mick for half an hour to a boombox. Great times.

Yeah that’s true. They dominated the entire festival and then on the day it seemed like every conversation I heard was ‘so where we meeting for the Stones then? What time are we going over for the Stones?’ etc. 

6 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

The only thing I can think of that compared in terms of a presence and anticipation around the site during the build up was, bizarrely, for Lionel Richie. Flags, t-shirts, the "Shrinel Richie" that was doing the rounds.

As much as I loved Lionel though, it's pretty safe to say that the Stones were better 😄

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Zacko said:

That 2013 set radiated energy and excitement and I was only watching it on TV. It was almost like the size and majesty of Glasto finally met a band big enough to equal it. 

Was lucky enough to see them in 2018 and they were an absolute riot from start to finish. So glad I saw them now! 

That’s a really good description of how it was. One of my mates was at the big G for the first time and waiting for them to come on he nearly vibrates off his axis, repeating over and over “this is one of the biggest gigs ever isn’t it? Like the whole world is watching? And we’re here, stood here, this is mental. This is just massive” etc etc

Then they absolutely nailed it. I love watching it back because I think you can visibly see them buzzing off it more and more as it goes along. Normally they have the richest punters down the front and they seemed to love the crowd reaction they got at Worthy. Including Charlie who was grinning ear to ear at the end (and on occasion during).

Edited by MEGABOWL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The only thing I can think of that compared in terms of a presence and anticipation around the site during the build up was, bizarrely, for Lionel Richie. Flags, t-shirts, the "Shrinel Richie" that was doing the rounds.

As much as I loved Lionel though, it's pretty safe to say that the Stones were better 😄

There’s been a few in my time that dominate things in terms of t-shirts, flags, music being played around the place, the conversation on the day etc but not many. It’s the really big ones. Stevie Wonder was one, Lionel, Kylie and actually Blur in 2009 to a degree.

16 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

There’s been a few in my time that dominate things in terms of t-shirts, flags, music being played around the place, the conversation on the day etc but not many. It’s the really big ones. Stevie Wonder was one, Lionel, Kylie and actually Blur in 2009 to a degree.

Definitely felt it for Stevie. Somehow ended up right down the front through sheer luck and it felt like the entire festival was in that field pouring their goodwill and love out towards him. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Zacko said:

Definitely felt it for Stevie. Somehow ended up right down the front through sheer luck and it felt like the entire festival was in that field pouring their goodwill and love out towards him. 

Stevie was absolutely amazing, especially after Faithless.

Do we think they may put something on top of the Pyramid like they did for Bowie and Lemmie on the Other Stage ? 

1 minute ago, westholtschic said:

Do we think they may put something on top of the Pyramid like they did for Bowie and Lemmie on the Other Stage ? 

Michaels searching his garden shed for that fire breathing Phoenix as we speak 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, westholtschic said:

I don’t think they will to be honest. As big a loss it is he didn’t have the same profile as Jagger or Keith, who would get a tribute.

It’ll also be long forgotten by the time the festival comes around.