Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

6 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Agree, but i'd go as far as saying that the atmosphere around them started the moment i walked in on the Wednesday. All weekend people had stones shirts on, stones flags, and we even went to a Mick Jagger off in front of the pyramid where we danced like Mick for half an hour to a boombox. Great times.

The only thing I can think of that compared in terms of a presence and anticipation around the site during the build up was, bizarrely, for Lionel Richie. Flags, t-shirts, the "Shrinel Richie" that was doing the rounds.

As much as I loved Lionel though, it's pretty safe to say that the Stones were better 😄

5 hours ago, Zacko said:

That 2013 set radiated energy and excitement and I was only watching it on TV. It was almost like the size and majesty of Glasto finally met a band big enough to equal it. 

Was lucky enough to see them in 2018 and they were an absolute riot from start to finish. So glad I saw them now! 

That’s a really good description of how it was. One of my mates was at the big G for the first time and waiting for them to come on he nearly vibrates off his axis, repeating over and over “this is one of the biggest gigs ever isn’t it? Like the whole world is watching? And we’re here, stood here, this is mental. This is just massive” etc etc

Then they absolutely nailed it. I love watching it back because I think you can visibly see them buzzing off it more and more as it goes along. Normally they have the richest punters down the front and they seemed to love the crowd reaction they got at Worthy. Including Charlie who was grinning ear to ear at the end (and on occasion during).

Edited by MEGABOWL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The only thing I can think of that compared in terms of a presence and anticipation around the site during the build up was, bizarrely, for Lionel Richie. Flags, t-shirts, the "Shrinel Richie" that was doing the rounds.

As much as I loved Lionel though, it's pretty safe to say that the Stones were better 😄

There’s been a few in my time that dominate things in terms of t-shirts, flags, music being played around the place, the conversation on the day etc but not many. It’s the really big ones. Stevie Wonder was one, Lionel, Kylie and actually Blur in 2009 to a degree.

16 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

There’s been a few in my time that dominate things in terms of t-shirts, flags, music being played around the place, the conversation on the day etc but not many. It’s the really big ones. Stevie Wonder was one, Lionel, Kylie and actually Blur in 2009 to a degree.

Definitely felt it for Stevie. Somehow ended up right down the front through sheer luck and it felt like the entire festival was in that field pouring their goodwill and love out towards him. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Zacko said:

Definitely felt it for Stevie. Somehow ended up right down the front through sheer luck and it felt like the entire festival was in that field pouring their goodwill and love out towards him. 

Stevie was absolutely amazing, especially after Faithless.

Do we think they may put something on top of the Pyramid like they did for Bowie and Lemmie on the Other Stage ? 

1 minute ago, westholtschic said:

Do we think they may put something on top of the Pyramid like they did for Bowie and Lemmie on the Other Stage ? 

Michaels searching his garden shed for that fire breathing Phoenix as we speak 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, westholtschic said:

I don’t think they will to be honest. As big a loss it is he didn’t have the same profile as Jagger or Keith, who would get a tribute.

It’ll also be long forgotten by the time the festival comes around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Have the stones already played the European leg of this tour? 

Are they likely to come here next year?

I think this is actually the same No Filter tour a few of us saw them on back in 2018. It was originally due to be in the US in 2019 but Mick was unwell IIRC, then was rescheduled for 2020 but Covid banjaxed that...

27 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Have the stones already played the European leg of this tour? 

Are they likely to come here next year?

19 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Thanks.

Seems like next year would be a good time to start another world tour

I think they had some UK shows in mind for 2020 but not sure if they were announced. 

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Their original plan was UK/Europe 2018 and then US 2019, it's possible they may have planned to come back and do, say BST, but nothing was ever announced.

There were rumours on IORR they were looking at Twickenham stadium but I think the pandemic showed up around then.

• 3 months later...

Reading IORR they are discussing the Stones playing a selection of US dates April - May which would be announced soon, along with a potential stint in the UK and EU in June. 

Fans on the forum think that it lines them up for the Queens Jubilee. Apparently they aren’t at Hyde Park and there’s not really any rumours of another UK show.

Edited by Matt42

• 5 months later...