Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

25 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

My mum is a fan and contemporary.  She always said she was too old to go to a gig, eventually I persuaded her in 2018 at the age of 78.    She had a wonderful time.

Thanks for the memories Charlie. RIP xx

Fantastic. Good on you for taking her. Nobody’s too old to rock & roll!

Their Glastonbury set is my favourite gig ever. 

The atmosphere had been building all day, I think I saw three acts do a Stones cover. Including Urban Voodoo Machine who were playing Avalon while Primal Scream were on The Pyramid. As I was making my way from Avalon, Seasick Steve came out of West Holts backstage area and started hot footing it towards the Pyramid. The speed he was going should have been a giveaway he was lying about his age.

Getting into the front circle after Primal Scream finished was like being in crowds years ago, you could almost lift your feet up and just go with it. What a night. 

I was a little trepidatious as the previous time I'd seen them was a little flat. I think it was more to do with the audience around me to be honest, Manc Arena in 2004 but I needn't have worried. Chatting to the people around me for the very lengthy change over, I made the greatest of friends only to never have seen them since we parted with a handshake at the end of the set. 

A near perfect set list, Mick Taylor getting a guest spot (Midnight Rambler being my personal highlight), the crowd, fucking hell, the crowd were so up for it... just perfect from start to finish.

So RIP Charlie. Always came across as an absolute gentleman, what a legacy to leave behind. The bedrock of many of the greatest songs ever recorded. 

tldr: "Charlie's good tonight, in'ee?"

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, eddie_corrigan said:

This popped up on Twitter and I kind of love his outright disdain for the festival. “Can’t be doing playing outdoors it plays havoc with me cymbals” 

BE0FABD8-64B8-432E-861E-835850F6824B.jpeg

It's behind the paywall, but the coda to that is in this article, where it sounds like he didn't have such a bad time after all.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caitlin-moran-goes-behind-the-scenes-at-glastonbury-7sckjg86l

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Their Glastonbury set is my favourite gig ever. 

The atmosphere had been building all day, I think I saw three acts do a Stones cover. Including Urban Voodoo Machine who were playing Avalon while Primal Scream were on The Pyramid. As I was making my way from Avalon, Seasick Steve came out of West Holts backstage area and started hot footing it towards the Pyramid. The speed he was going should have been a giveaway he was lying about his age.

Getting into the front circle after Primal Scream finished was like being in crowds years ago, you could almost lift your feet up and just go with it. What a night. 

I was a little trepidatious as the previous time I'd seen them was a little flat. I think it was more to do with the audience around me to be honest, Manc Arena in 2004 but I needn't have worried. Chatting to the people around me for the very lengthy change over, I made the greatest of friends only to never have seen them since we parted with a handshake at the end of the set. 

A near perfect set list, Mick Taylor getting a guest spot (Midnight Rambler being my personal highlight), the crowd, fucking hell, the crowd were so up for it... just perfect from start to finish.

So RIP Charlie. Always came across as an absolute gentleman, what a legacy to leave behind. The bedrock of many of the greatest songs ever recorded. 

tldr: "Charlie's good tonight, in'ee?"

In the hour leading up to their set in 2013, I'd never felt an atmosphere like that at Glastonbury, not before or since. I'd not really experienced the feeling (of the criminally overused cliche) of the air being "electric"...until then. I knew we were in for something incredible when I saw the "Pyramid Field Full" light up signs, resulting in us having to find an alternative route to the top of the field, well beyond the solitary tree. It was a terrible position, sound-wise but there was something strangely magical about witnessing history unfold in front of us. 100,000 of us, in the palm of their hand. A real honour to be there, even if Charlie didn't want to be. Wonderful. Rest in Peace, Charlie. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In the hour leading up to their set in 2013, I'd never felt an atmosphere like that at Glastonbury, not before or since. I'd not really experienced the feeling (of the criminally overused cliche) of the air being "electric"...until then. I knew we were in for something incredible when I saw the "Pyramid Field Full" light up signs, resulting in us having to find an alternative route to the top of the field, well beyond the solitary tree. It was a terrible position, sound-wise but there was something strangely magical about witnessing history unfold in front of us. 100,000 of us, in the palm of their hand. A real honour to be there, even if Charlie didn't want to be. Wonderful. Rest in Peace, Charlie. 

100% - I’ve never experienced that kind of atmosphere on the farm before and don’t think we ever will again. That Saturday was just pure electric everywhere, we got to the pyramid early doors, so were in the pit well before primal scream.

I remember being hoisted on to a mate’s shoulders just before they came on to get a look up towards the farm and the sheer size of that crowd still gives me goosebumps to this day, truly felt like it could be a genuine moment in musical history… then they proceeded with THAT two hour set and cemented the fact. Incredible scenes. 

Sad sad news.

Others have said it better than me but that Saturday night, in fact the whole day, in 2013 was incredible. The hour or so before the Stones came on was the most amazing atmosphere. The Pyramid field before a big headliner has a charge and a vibration you don’t get anywhere else but it was especially pronounced that night. And then they absolutely nailed it, seemed to really enjoy themselves and that fed into the crowd.

A magical night that it was a privilege to be a part of. RIP Charlie.

• Upvote 1

Another reminder for us to go and see these legends play live as much as we can. One day, there won't be any left from such a wonderful era.

I do hope I get to see the Stones play just one more time. Been fortunate to have seen them half a dozen times but the last show in Cardiff a few years ago was absolutely incredible. I just kept shaking my head of how they still had so much energy to produce that kind of show. I still get chills thinking about the glorious crescendo of Midnight Rambler. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Stones were the first headliner I saw on the Pyramid, at my first Glasto (having swerved Arctics on Friday for Chic), and my whole experience of that weekend is tinged with the anticipation of that night. The Stones t-shirts everywhere you looked, the covers being played, the Jagger-off dance competitions that just seemed to keep springing up at the drop of a hat. 

I was in that crowd with my oldest friend, both of us huge Stones fans, and we just couldn't really believe our luck. We cried and we danced and we screamed and when they went into Tumbling Dice toward the end of the set I must have jumped four feet straight in the air. 

Not sure it can be put better than in Charlie's own words from Emily's post - it really was, a great day. RIP Charlie.

I saw him at the Jazz Club in Soho in March 2013 doing what he loved best in the tiniest of venues. (Before he went on stage, I popped to the loo and this short old guy stood in the next urinal - the most famous person I've pee'd with!)

The 2013 headline act was amazing, I was so lucky, just before Elvis Costello came on I thought I'd take a punt and walk towards the front. To my amazement I made it all the way, gaps appeared in front of me - to the barrier, front and centre. My mate had been there all afternoon and I found her. No good shots of Charlie, but a decent one of Jagger.

They cannot possibly be the same without him - but they're a cut-throat bunch, they'll carry on.

2013-06-29 22.18.32.jpg

2013-06-29 22.04.09.jpg

11 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Sad sad news.

Others have said it better than me but that Saturday night, in fact the whole day, in 2013 was incredible. The hour or so before the Stones came on was the most amazing atmosphere. The Pyramid field before a big headliner has a charge and a vibration you don’t get anywhere else but it was especially pronounced that night. And then they absolutely nailed it, seemed to really enjoy themselves and that fed into the crowd.

A magical night that it was a privilege to be a part of. RIP Charlie.

Agree, but i'd go as far as saying that the atmosphere around them started the moment i walked in on the Wednesday. All weekend people had stones shirts on, stones flags, and we even went to a Mick Jagger off in front of the pyramid where we danced like Mick for half an hour to a boombox. Great times.

That 2013 set radiated energy and excitement and I was only watching it on TV. It was almost like the size and majesty of Glasto finally met a band big enough to equal it. 

Was lucky enough to see them in 2018 and they were an absolute riot from start to finish. So glad I saw them now! 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Agree, but i'd go as far as saying that the atmosphere around them started the moment i walked in on the Wednesday. All weekend people had stones shirts on, stones flags, and we even went to a Mick Jagger off in front of the pyramid where we danced like Mick for half an hour to a boombox. Great times.

Yeah that’s true. They dominated the entire festival and then on the day it seemed like every conversation I heard was ‘so where we meeting for the Stones then? What time are we going over for the Stones?’ etc.