Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

For those who are already missing/mourning the stones cuz at some stage in the future they'll be dead...don't get ahead of the game! learn to live in and enjoy the moment. and anyway, we'll be getting high quality holgrams of the dead in a blink of an eye, which begs the question - when will jimi hendrix and george harrison come to glasto and speak to us and perform for us???

Yeah - twice!

The first time looked like it was due to his scarf getting tangled up in his fingers.

I wasn't at the show on the 13th, but the fact it happened again has has lead to some speculation that the second time around was an intentional in-joke.

Apparently on the download it has been 'fixed'.

He's earned his birthday cake this year.

If the stars align I'm toying with some sort of continetal jaunt towards the end of the year to catch one of shows that seem to be happening in Oct / Nov /Dec. If this is indeed the last time and they remain in pretty good nick then I'll be kicking myself in years to come if I don't get involved again.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been pondering this gig over the last few weeks. Was it, as I felt straight after the gig, the greatest musical experience of my life?

I felt the same after a few days, after a week, after a month even. But now a reasonable amount of time has passed, do I feel the same way?

To put it into context (and I know many, many, MANY people would think my choices odd/shite), my previous top 5 gigs are, in no particular order....

Rolling Stones - Wembley Stadium - 11/06/99

Janes Addiction - Manchester International 2 - 28/09/90

Guns 'n' Roses - Manchester Apollo - 06/10/87

Motley Crue - Birmingham NEC - 04/11/99

U2 - Paris Omnisport Arena - 12/12/89

Close but no cigar include The Cult, Slade, other GnR and Crue gigs, Dave Lee Roth, Paul McCartney, Queen, Springsteen, Green Day... I've been going to gigs since '81 and seen hundreds of bands. It's always difficult to narrow things down to those that were truly great.

So, for me, was it better than all of these?

Well... yes. Musically it may not have been spot on. Set list wise it was great but could have been better. Atmosphere? Anticipation? Electricity in the air? Hell yes.

As someone said earlier in the thread, the stars aligned that night. I think, perhaps, that there was more than a chance that it could have gone tits up added to the whole thing. The weather was great, the crowd were immense, the band blew me away. I've watched it back and listened to it so many times since and although the video and soundtrack will never match what we had that night, it still looks and sounds superb.

Above all though, what pleased me the most is that I can still get completely blown away by a band. I though my aged cynacism meant that I could never appreciate a live show like I did in my youth, that I'd seen it all before, bought the t-shirt, the program and the bootleg. But the old bastards on the stage made me feel young again. It's been 14 years since someone broke into my top 5. The Stones on that June night in Pilton, not only broke in but strode straight to the top.

Long may they continue.

I've only been to 3. Seen some great performances but none in my top 5.

fair dos mate, at least you've got one now!

On reflection. out of all the "megastar" headliners I've seen at glastonbury I would rank them:

david bowie

paul mccartney

rolling stones

stevie wonder

u2

bruce springsteen

the stones were ace. I still wish they'd played street fighting man though, I wanted that so bad

edit, reading that back we have been pretty spoiled over the years havent we!

Edited by russycarps

Set list wise it was great but could have been better.

Interesting. How, in your opinion, could they have improved it?

I thought they got it bang on - it just felt like a succession of aces being served into the face of the crowd.

For me, it might not be - objectively - the best gig I've ever seen, but it's almost certainly - subjectively - my favourite.

fair dos mate, at least you've got one now!

On reflection. out of all the "megastar" headliners I've seen at glastonbury I would rank them:

david bowie

paul mccartney

rolling stones

stevie wonder

u2

bruce springsteen

the stones were ace. I still wish they'd played street fighting man though, I wanted that so bad

edit, reading that back we have been pretty spoiled over the years havent we!

Know you weren't there but Neil Young was at that standards aswell.

- - -

Postscript - isnt it fascinating how Springsteen screwed it up? Even despite the heinous weather and pathetic crowd, I think U2 was superior... and thats from a (albeit recent) devotee thats seen him play nearly 15 hours of live music in the last 3 weeks.

Know you weren't there but Neil Young was at that standards aswell.

- - -

Postscript - isnt it fascinating how Springsteen screwed it up? Even despite the heinous weather and pathetic crowd, I think U2 was superior... and thats from a (albeit recent) devotee thats seen him play nearly 15 hours of live music in the last 3 weeks.

Neil is defo in there. And yeah, weakest Bruce show I've ever seen touring his worst album in living memory. Awful awful album. If he knocked this setlist out at any of his own shows people would be pissed off.

Great that the Stones have - pretty much universally from people there - reached this level. Astonishing when you think about the jokes at their expense 7/8 months ago on here.

If even just for the festival. Glastonbury boasts some of the most genuinely jaw-dropping headliner performances from some of the biggest artists in the modern era. Just look at Russy's list. The last 15 years will never be repeated.