Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Yes - there need to be two or three songs for the longtime fans, but a Pyramid headline slot is not the time to go on a romp through your back catalogue of B-sides nor is it time to focus completely on your new material at the expense of your old stuff - see Bruce back in 09.

For instance the Neil Young set in 09 was just about perfect. Enough singalongs for a mainstream crowd. If he'd done the set I saw with Crazy Horse on Monday in the O2, and tried that on a Pyramid headliner slot, half the crowd would have left by the end.

Gigs with setlists chosen by hardcore fans end up as odd curate's egg affairs that don't really satisfy anybody.

Spotted not one but two signs for 57 Channels at the Bruce show the other day. Might have made the day of about 4 or 5 Boss boxtickers, but in the real world niche stuff is sometimes niche for a reason.

Im all for throwing 1 or 2 songs in that may appeal to only a few more clued up fans, but id hazard 80% of people at Glastonbury wont have seen The Stones live. Its not the time or place to play around with B sides, the old war horses need to come out that appeal to the masses

Edited by Mud Dweller

Sorry if its been mentioned but an hour now agreed and the Pyramid extended to allow extra room for the extra Stones watchers??

Not sure how they can extend the pyramid area, unless they just mean the pit at the front?http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/leisure/national/entertainment/10499147.Hour_of_Stones__Glasto_set_for_TV/

Gigs with setlists chosen by hardcore fans end up as odd curate's egg affairs that don't really satisfy anybody.

Spotted not one but two signs for 57 Channels at the Bruce show the other day. Might have made the day of about 4 or 5 Boss boxtickers, but in the real world niche stuff is sometimes niche for a reason.

Crikey, glad he ignored them. Enjoy the show? I thought it was cracking. Only my third Bruce show so my frame of reference isn't that wide, but I was blown away

Actually, I wasn't that impressed with Primal Scream on Saturday. Though it didn't help it was possibly the quietest set I've ever heard by any band anywhere. They were drowned out by the uproar of the butterflies in the adjoining meadows.

Thank God i wasn't the only one not impressed by them, when they played Country Girl and Movin' On Up it was alright but the rest just seemed so quiet and half arsed. I expected there to be a mass sing a long to all of their songs.

Compared top the crowds they get in places like Buenos Aires, the Glastonbury audiences is shy and mild-mannered.

That said, yes, it'll still be a vast improvement on the US arenas and the omens are still looking good!

I agree with you regarding South American crowds, they're so crazy - love em!

Was talking more about the US crowds, possibly even the crowds they had at the O2 arena! I think compared to the shows on this tour, Glastonbury could be good regarding sing-a-longs etc.

I've got the feeling we can simply ignore this bbc-article,

The BBC could not confirm the reports, but said there were "constructive ongoing conversations" with the band.

[...]

The band had reportedly insisted that only four songs from their 90-minute set could be shown on TV.

[...]

According to the Press Association, only those at the festival will see the band's final half hour, with fireworks set to light up the sky over the Worthy Farm site.

mostly they're putting up wrong information about the set,

so either they'll show one hour, or everything but the last 30 minutes, they don't seem to know it themselves :banghead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22995473

"But he added the Pyramid area had been extended to allow for the thousands of fans expected for the band's set in a bid to avoid any problems with overcrowding."

How do you think they have extended it? Longer? Wider? Bigger entrances/exits?

Edit: should have read above properly, someone has already asked this. Never mind.

Edited by pedmills

57 Chans? Fucking shit song.

Truly awful. Thankfully he ignored them signs in favour of I'm On Fire, Tougher Than The Rest and Jole Blon

Had no real frame of ref for Bruce when I was growing up. Didn't really connect to his music till the last decade. 57 didn't help. It's gash.

The BBC are reporting that agreement has been reached, according to Michael Evis, for 60 mins of their set to be broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22995473

But the article includes the words '... from their 90 minute set...'.

WTF - I thought the published set times gave us around 2 1/2 hours not 90 mins. Sloppy reporting I hope

They also have ME saying '... the Pyramid area had been extended to allow for the thousands of fans expected for the band's set in a bid to avoid any problems with overcrowding.'

Where? On the map?

Edited by airwaves